Topic: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - Appreciation Thread

WELCOME TO THE MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC APPRECIATION THREAD!
The creation of this thread makes the forum 20% cooler.

http://cdn2.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/107/487/original/393223.jpg?1300624513

Some random on another forum wrote:

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a new cartoon from Hasbro, revolving around the--

...I'm leaving.

Get back here.

Despite the extremely girly name, saturation of pinks in the color scheme, and legacy attachments to the 80's, this cartoon is GOOD. Sit down, and I'll tell you why.

Okay, why should I watch this?

It's directed, produced, and overseen by Lauren Faust, wife of Craig McCracken. You might know her better from work such as The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. This is a woman who A. knows what she's doing, and B. doesn't go for the old "let's throw tea parties and defeat villains by sharing" !@#$.

And this shows though, STRONGLY, in Friendship is Magic. It feels much more like the Powerpuff Girls than any previous MLP cartoons-- the writing is clever and snappy, the humor is surprisingly witty, the voice acting is top-notch, the characters are distinct and likable, and in every episode there’s at least one joke or reference which was clearly put in more for the adults watching than the kids.

Oh, and the art is damned good too.

I don’t believe you. A My Little Pony cartoon that doesn’t rot your teeth?

I know! But this thing is on FIRE. Despite a rather unfortunate timeslot it's found a wide and devoted audience already, and is quickly shedding the old albatross of girl's cartoons past. A good chunk of that audience, surprisingly, is also male, and in the 20-35 demographic--though most of those would probably never admit to watching it, at least not in public.

To anyone looking to get into this amazing series, start here.

You'll become one of the herd in ten seconds flat!

Now come on everybrony, show your appreciation for everyone's favourite cartoon about friendship, magic, and PONIES!

Who's your favourite pony? For me it'd be a toss up between Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, but I think Fluttershy would come out on top.

Last edited by Sean (July 14, 2011 (05:07pm))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic - Appreciation Thread

I posted these in the Café Corner earlier, but I think they ought to be here as well.
Link1
Link2
Link3

Last edited by mcoov (July 1, 2011 (08:48am))

Well, this explains the explosion of My Little Pony avatars.

You guys do realize that My Little Pony has been around since 1984 right?

Dewfilms, feeling rather old having remembered this fact and the original series. mini/confused

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I moved the other television threads to "General Filmmaking..." afraid to let this one get to the general public given its status as a meme.

Anyhow I have really enjoyed this show.  I'm trying to savor it but only have a few episodes left.

My favorite character is Rainbow Dash.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

dewfilms wrote:

Well, this explains the explosion of My Little Pony avatars.

You guys do realize that My Little Pony has been around since 1984 right?

It's the new series that has captured them. It has a great art style. I find the voices too grating to watch it though.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

dewfilms wrote:

Dewfilms, feeling rather old having remembered this fact and the original series. mini/confused

Don't worry, I have one of the TV films on vhs.

I've been only able to see a couple of episodes so far, but it's a really good show as far as I've seen.

-JK

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

I. Love. This. Show.

I've made it to episode 16. My little sister has also started watching it and has overtaken me, but that's more because of the fact that she refuses to get a hobby and it's another way for her to waste time.

The show's animation is brilliant, and keeps getting better. The plots aren't dumb (here's looking at you, Disney Channel) and all the characters are likeable. My favourite is also Rainbow Dash (which is why I'm building a giant image of her in Minecraft). I used to like Fluttershy, but after that one episode with the snoring dragon I can't stand her. Pinkie Pie is annoying, but I must admit that I always laugh out loud when she spontaneously throws a party. That said, Derpy Hooves is a triumph in bridging old media and new media, and everything she stands for is what makes the show for me.

My parents think it's hilarious that I watch this, but it's better than that other thing that most teenage boys watch, right?

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

I was skeptical of the show until I saw Twilight have an anvil dropped on her head. Now I'm hooked.

Hazzat wrote:

...but it's better than that other thing that most teenage boys watch, right?

You should defiantly be watching Steven Spielberg's work at Warner Bros. (i.e. Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Freakazoid!, etc.).

Oh god, what has happened to this place since I've been gone.

Pfft, ponies. Disney Princesses are so much better. Snow White FTW.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Whenever I close my eyes I see ponies.

PONIES EVERYWHERE

it's W]O]N]D]E]R]F]U]L]

I've been watching it for the past 8 hours. I'm not even kidding. mini/XD

-JK

I never thought I would be interested in watching this show, didn't even think I would like it. Now I ask myself: Why...shouldn't I like it?
I accidentally clicked on a link Hazzat posted on skype, I would have never searched for the show myself. It's far more entertaining than what I thought. For now I have only seen the first three episodes. Probbably, my favourite character is Applejack, but being only at the third episode I might change idea.
I'm enjoying it a lot.

Welcome to the herd!

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

Finally watched the finale. Fun stuff, although I felt like the penultimate episode was more entertaining. Can't wait for the next season.

http://img807.imageshack.us/img807/9895/130980412496.jpg

Littlebrick wrote:

Pfft, ponies. Disney Princesses are so much better. Snow White FTW.

Are you freaking kidding me? Jasmine has a tiger. To review: an honest-to-god tiger. What's Snow White got? A bunch of short old dudes, that's what.

Pfffffftttttt.

Smoking marijuana, eating Cheez Doodles, and masterfully debating do not constitute 'plans' in my book - Walter 'Heisenberg' White

Yesterday I finally watched the last episode. This made me sad.

However, I discovered that MLP: FiM is being broadcast in the UK (weekdays at 3pm on Boomerang, 4pm on Boomerang +1). I am so excited for this. More excited than I should be, I'll admit.

I watcheed the last episode yesterday too, I thought it was absolutely hilarious. (Especially when Fluttershy started spazzing out)

Also, "Party Of One" is my favorite episode so far. I love when the ponies start spazzing out. mini/XD

Also, I built Rainbow Dash, Applejack and Derpy Hooves in LEGO.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6143/5923343051_7a765e6007.jpg

-JK

Last edited by Just Kidden (July 10, 2011 (03:02pm))

MEANWHILE, IN MINECRAFT
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Zoot101/Screenshots/minecraft-rainbowdash3.png

On Nathan's server. All with legitimately sourced materials. That was a lot of work. I'm tired. Now I can finally focus on "more important" things. She took 2-3 weeks to build, I think.

Awesomesauce, Hazzat and JK. I finished watching the first season. Rainbow Dash is the best.

I'm sorta wondering when the next season will start, it sounds like they don't have a set release date yet.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png