Re: Community Forum Changes

Maybe make it so after a year you are considered thoughtfully for addition to the community forum and therefore those who deserve it get in and the annoying little spambots and inactive accounts don't...

If anyone has anything to add other than

• "Can I please be added to the Community forum?"

• "How do I get into the Community forum?"

• "What do I have to do to get into the Community forum?"

• "Hiding the Community forum has ruined the site!"

we'd love to hear it. Otherwise, please don't post.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

If anyone has anything to add other than

• "Can I please be added to the Community forum?"

• "How do I get into the Community forum?"

• "What do I have to do to get into the Community forum?"

• "Hiding the Community forum has ruined the site!"

we'd love to hear it. Otherwise, please don't post.

Well, I got one. What other topics are active in there except for the Café Corner, the MLP thread and the Minecraft thread?

Hazzat wrote:

...The only active topics in there are My Little Pony, art, photography, Café Corner and Minecraft...

Does that answer your question?

Pritchard Studios wrote:
Hazzat wrote:

...The only active topics in there are My Little Pony, art, photography, Café Corner and Minecraft...

Indeed it does!

Is the photography thread going to be moved to the public one day? In a way it does relate to brickfilming.

also...

Littlebrick wrote:

...there's much point in having the Community forum closed to everyone, from the standpoint of improving brickfilm output. Lazy animators are going to be lazy, and motivated animators are going to still churn out films, whether there's an open Community forum or not.

That ladies and gentleman is the solid truth from a trusted member. As a lazy animator, community forum getting removed has in fact made me MORE lazy: I don't visit the site as much, therefore meaning the motivation I get from here is no more.

welp
Formerly LegoDudez

In fact I have probably brickfilmed less since the closing of the forum. Not that I'm saying that there's a correlation. Mostly it's that my homework load has increased exponentially since last year.
Although, I agree, the community forum gave the site such a happy and jolly feel that it made me want to get up off my flank and make an awesome brickfilm.

Keesret wrote:

What other topics are active in there except for the Café Corner, the MLP thread and the Minecraft thread?

Pritchard Studios wrote:
Hazzat wrote:

There's also What Was the Last Song You Listened To?, What Song is Stuck in Your Head?, and RP Hoogle's new Photoshop Tennis thread.

Not literally dead, just no longer interested in Lego or animation.

All of which are pretty much equal to the thread Last Movie you Watched which is completely open to the public yet completely useless.

Why do you hold such a low opinion of that thread and the posts that make it up? And why do you think that a thread about discussing films (in General Film Discussion, no less) is no more relevant to the site's focus than discussion of various songs?

topitmunkeydog wrote:

Maybe make it so after a year you are considered thoughtfully for addition to the community forum and therefore those who deserve it get in and the annoying little spambots and inactive accounts don't...

I agree with this 100%. I agree don't let every single person in at one year, but at least consider them a little more.

Jargon wrote:

Why do you hold such a low opinion of that thread and the posts that make it up? And why do you think that a thread about discussing films (in General Film Discussion, no less) is no more relevant to the site's focus than discussion of various songs?

I hold a low opinion of that thread because I feel that it basically serves as a twitter-type thing, where one posts an update about the last film they saw, and nobody really acknowledges that and replies to them. What it ends up is a one-way conversation, unless you say something really really... er... controversial? IDK how to put this but...

Okay imma stop rambling. What ends up in that thread is that people put really short reviews that don't spark much discussion and it's pretty one sided.

topitmunkeydog wrote:
Jargon wrote:

I hold a low opinion of that thread because I feel that it basically serves as a twitter-type thing, where one posts an update about the last film they saw, and nobody really acknowledges that and replies to them. What it ends up is a one-way conversation, unless you say something really really... er... controversial? IDK how to put this but...

Okay imma stop rambling. What ends up in that thread is that people put really short reviews that don't spark much discussion and it's pretty one sided.

This might be a bit of topic but that thread gave me some good recommendations though. It's great for looking up short reviews with people who have a similar taste of films like you. Anyway let's go back on topic shall we? I'm a bit sick of all these rants here.

I have to agree with Keesret here, it does serve a purpose in that it allows us as keen-eyed filmmakers to review films that we have seen, so that other animators may enjoy them as well. Personally, some of my favorite movies were things I watched because they got high praise in that thread.

As for community forum admittance, I don't think there should be any kind of time limit. If an animator shows that his films are improving, and he is active and he is mature, I see no reason why he should have to wait the same amount of time as another brickfilmer who is not as mature or active. This isn't the DMV. Maybe we could have a system that allows newer members to ask for admittance, and they are given a review of their time in the community, and the reviewer decides whether or not he meets the criteria.

That's just my idea.

--Lil'jj

lil'jj wrote:

...If an animator shows that his films are improving...

No, I can't say that I agree with that. Aceeptance into the community doesn't mean your films are good, it just means maturity. I believe minifig051 said that he hadn't even uploaded a single film, yet he made it in. Saying that your films must be improving might scare some that deserve to be in the community maturity-wise, but their films aren't the greatest.

lil'jj wrote:

Maybe we could have a system that allows newer members to ask for admittance, and they are given a review of their time in the community, and the reviewer decides whether or not he meets the criteria.

I quite agree with this part of your statement. It seems like a fair trial but the only problem that'll cause is that every single member who isn't accepted will start sending things in. Eventually the whole thing will freeze like the reviewing of films. Maybe some sort of filter as to who could send a letter asking for acceptance (if this will ever get implemented).

Why don't we just stop talking about how to get into the Community forum and focus on BRICKFILMS which is what this site was created for.

If you want in to the Community forum, be more helpful and mature.

Ya, the mods are on the site often enough to tell when one's time has come (in a completely non-morbid way lol)

Grr community forum grr

^ best post in this thread

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png