Re: General Contest Discussion

Yep, I vote THAC twice a year, perhaps Christmas and Summer holiday times, and BRAWL twice. Sounds good to me.

Nah, I would say both BRAWL and THAC once a year - BRAWL in late summer, and THAC in winter - and the annual contest (such as TOY). This is more than enough for the site staff to handle.

(This is not including all of the unofficial contests)

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

Nah, I would say both BRAWL and THAC once a year - BRAWL in late summer, and THAC in winter - and the annual contest (such as TOY). This is more than enough for the site staff to handle.

(This is not including all of the unofficial contests)

Ahem

Me, the first time wrote:

FOS will probably happen, however what I was referring to was the fact that if NXT can't find prizes, then I'd happily host one and the MT-bricks sponsorship, providing I was given permission from Smeagol.

Me, the second time wrote:

I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to look for a sponsor or use some of their own money to get prizes, in return to host some of the most prestigious and popular contests. The problem is that people need the go-ahead from Moderators/Officials.

To be honest, why do the moderators need to have rule over anything? I don't this as an offence, rather as a suggestion. I mean, for one, they're already busy doing their job (Moderation, obviously), two, they're usually older, meaning they don't have all this free-time to organise a contest, and three, I'd say members are fully able as well.

1. The recent LOL contest had a first place prize of $20
2. My contest had $100 worth of prize
3. And I don't really think I need mention what the prizes are for Mission: Impossible

And obviously you need a dedicated overseer/organiser, and someone you know will pull through with the prizes, however I'm sure it's more then possible for this to become possible.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I don't like to have official site contests run by people I haven't worked with and grown to trust as there is a reputation to keep.  I like to be able to oversee and have some degree of control over contests with the site name on them.

I'm fine with people doing whatever they want in regard to unofficial contests, though. Sometimes things look well organized at the start but people who have less experience with these things have had trouble following through on prizes and (good) judging.

I personally would be fine with keeping it to two official contests for the coming year and not having another official contest this year.  An unofficial BRAWL contest, with permission of Munzapoppa, might be fun.  I just want to make sure anything that has the BiM name on it, which sort of automatically makes me responsible for it in some capacity, is something I can actually help oversee, and I don't really have a lot of time to run contests.  It's all I can really do to make sure the annual summer contest and THAC hold together.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

By 'site staff' - I should have just said 'the site in general'. I think three official contests per year (bear in mind how long TOY has run) is more than enough considering the amount of unofficial contests there are. Any more and it will just bury the unofficial contests - which I agree can at times be a really good investment.

(And I cant remember if FOS was official or not. Sorry if I was wrong in assuming it was unofficial)

YouTube
Max, She/They

Max Butcher wrote:

(And I cant remember if FOS was official or not. Sorry if I was wrong in assuming it was unofficial)

Searched through the Contests and Festivals page.

On the thread it says 'Hello and welcome to the Festival of Souls brickfilming competition 2010, or in other words, this year's un-official Halloween contest.'

New YouTube Channel
May 2013 update:
Back after taking a VERY FREAKING long break. 14 months, I believe. Anyways I'm going to be making films again. Much better ones.

Max Butcher wrote:

By 'site staff' - I should have just said 'the site in general'. I think three official contests per year (bear in mind how long TOY has run) is more than enough considering the amount of unofficial contests there are. Any more and it will just bury the unofficial contests - which I agree can at times be a really good investment.

No, FOS wasn't official, though what this discussion represents is a possible change in having an annual contest, and instead have more smaller contests.

Smeagol wrote:

I don't like to have official site contests run by people I haven't worked with and grown to trust as there is a reputation to keep.  I like to be able to oversee and have some degree of control over contests with the site name on them.

Well, that's common sense. But nevertheless, I'm sure there's at least a few dozen people here on the site that you trust. That's my presumption of course, but with some quick correspondence with the sponsor and yourself, I'd imagine it would be quick to tell if it was genuine or not.

Sometimes things look well organized at the start but people who have less experience with these things have had trouble following through on prizes and (good) judging.

Yes, admittedly I have no answer on this one. Although I'd bet if he/she was helped by a more experienced member then things could go rather smoothly.

I personally would be fine with keeping it to two official contests for the coming year and not having another official contest this year.  An unofficial BRAWL contest, with permission of Munzapoppa, might be fun.  I just want to make sure anything that has the BiM name on it, which sort of automatically makes me responsible for it in some capacity, is something I can actually help oversee, and I don't really have a lot of time to run contests.  It's all I can really do to make sure the annual summer contest and THAC hold together.

Fair enough. However would it be possible to host a THAC 9 unofficially? As in, we could host it this summer, however as apposed to it being run on BiM, it would be hosted on BiM?

Just wondering.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

As I said earlier, I'm not that keen on un-official contests, because (no offence to you Onion, I know you're reliable) you can't ever tell if the persons being honest or not. I'm not so keen on the idea of animating straight for over 16 hours when I'm not even sure if the persons being serious about the contest, and I'm sure many would feel the same.
I've always been so suspicious with all these contests which for prizes have £70+ cameras or something, when the person running the competition doesn't seem to be sponsored by the camera's company. So, they're saying that they are paying loads of money for stuff for a bunch or strangers?
I've never heard a complaint for an actual BiM contest, and I'm sure they are all true about prizes. Otherwise people would complain, people wouldn't enter, and being as I've won stuff off here before that makes me assume all the official contests are real, not someone having a joke.

FOS I will enter this year, because while it's un-official I didn't hear any complaints, and Onion had a sponsor. That's earned my trust now, but an un-official THAC sounds a bit unreliable to me. So I think it's best to keep THAC official, how ever often it is. BRAWL I would enter if there was definite proof of prizes. I don't enter competitions just for prizes, but they keep you going, and if it all turns out to be a joke you'd feel really annoyed.

Filmfire is 90% correct.  Onion I think is a good trusted member, however for some contests yes, the host is a stranger from BiM that wants to give away $70-$100 prizes.  It doesn't happen much that a company like Smoovie comes on and offers good prizes.  Smoovie probably have the money to hold a contest and it was actually a very nice contest.  Most Newbies make a contest then have no idea how to get the prizes to the winners.  Then the winner get's nothing. 

The BiM 2011 contest has a really, really good theme.  But the contest is way to long.  4 months would of been plenty.  After 7 months most the community looses interest and decide to lag.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png

Onion wrote:

However would it be possible to host a THAC 9 unofficially? As in, we could host it this summer, however as apposed to it being run on BiM, it would be hosted on BiM?

What would be the benefit of making THAC 9 unofficial? Also, please explain to me the difference between hosted on BiM and run on BiM.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Essentially, Smeagol was saying that he would be cautious as to having anyone other then older and more trusted members running official contests, so I was merely suggesting that instead of taking the risk, it could be unofficial, yet with the same rules and title as THAC.

Oh, and I accidentally miss-worded that. I meant "Run by BiM, it would be hosted on BiM", my bad.

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I think making an unofficial contest and then naming it THAC would be a little misleading in that THAC has been the title of an official contest for such a long time. However, you could always make an unofficial twenty-four hour contest and name it something different if you really wanted to, ie. THBC, which doesn't quite have the ring to it but you get the idea. Naming a separate contest THAC at this point would be kind of derivative and very confusing, honestly. I mean, if THAC were being dropped by the site and no longer supported as an official contest, I could see the sense in allowing someone to continue it unofficially... but as long as it is still being run as an official contest, there's no reason in giving a second contest the same name.

Whatever happened to Bac's 2D Contest?  Or what was it?   I'd like to see some of the older contests come back.  We did it for the EASTER Contest, why not more?

Yeah, wasn't there the 'Quest for the _________' contest, and the HAT (high adventure theatre I believe) contest? Or was that the theme of an annual contest? I'd love to do those two, they sounded fun.

Binding Bricks wrote:

Whatever happened to Bac's 2D Contest?

That was 2DBAC, which was a two-day version of THAC run by Aaron. It wasn't very popular because it was like THAC but wasn't nearly as challenging (which defeats the point of it).

I loved the 'Quest For' contest though. It happened just after I signed up to Brickfilms.com so I was a complete noob at the time, so I wrote a script several pages long with sets I knew I couldn't build and ran endless casting calls (because I looooved running casting calls) until the contest deadline. But I think it's a really great theme for a contest.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Yes, I demand a revival of the 'Quest For' contest - official OR unofficial...

YouTube
Max, She/They

So was this like our Animation Challenge? Or did it have a prize.

I don't know, the idea of a two day THAC isn't SO bad. I mean, it's not as challenging, but it allows the maker to take more time to do a better film. However I think a day extra isn't going to make that much difference even so. BRAWL would be better.

Also, a "Quest For" contest would be very much appreciated. That and BRAWL would be great.

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

Am I the only person who thinks our community has become too contest centric? The yearly BIM contest and THAC are fine with me.

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

The yearly BiM contest is wayyyyyyy tooooooooooooooooo looooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggg!  Sorry about that.  It should be shorter.  But Smeagol makes the best themes ever.