Re: General Contest Discussion

Sméagol wrote:

I could be wrong but I don't think Sean wants to host the contest in either case.  We were considering the possibility of a BRAWL contest, though.  Septemberfest was not as successful as we had hoped for last year in regards to quality and quantity of entries.  We might consider forgoing any official contest and just have better prizes for the next THAC instead.

Yeah, that sounds good.

Me wrote:

make THAC a Bi-Annual thing

Thoughts? Or even 3 times a year. I mean, MT-Bricks, who sponsored FOS, told me they'd love to do another sponsorship, so I could host one if that would work out OK with NXT and yourself.

Last edited by Onion (June 17, 2011 (08:47am))

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver
I'll be back animating soon! Exams and computer faults are keeping me away </3

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I personally, would love to have all of them. I mean, after TOYs finished there's still plenty of time left in 2011, I'm sure that all three contests (Septemberfest, BRAWL and THAC9) can be held there somewhere. The problem will be prizes, getting sponsors and such. Perhaps smaller prizes but all 3 contests. In fact I wouldn't mind if we had a no prize contest, but people would prefer something for their work (as in prizes, I have to admit that I probably wouldn't be quite so fussed if there weren't any prizes, but I wouldn't mind it, if it is too hard to get the prizes).

Onino wrote:

I mean, MT-Bricks, who hosted FOS, told me they'd love to do another sponsorship, so I could host one if that would work out OK with NXT and yourself.

I would love to enter FOS this year, if you did hold it. I knew I was entering Septemberfest because it was an official contest, but with un-official contests I've always been a bit cautious - I've had problems with some in previous years. But I know you did actually give out prizes because I'm sure I would have heard complaints otherwise. I've never heard anything bad about BiM not giving prizes out before, so I trust them, and you too. I'd love to enter this year.

But if I had to say one I wouldn't like as much it would be BRAWL. Septemberfest was a rush for me, and lasted a month, if it were a school week there'd be absolutely no way I'd make anything half decent for BRAWL. And I'm sure that that's not just me with that. A month would be better for me as it'd be a lot easier to enter if it were during school time (I believe all of Septemberfest was in school time for me).

But yeah, if it is possible to do all three I'd be totally up for that.

THAC lasts a day, so I'm sure we can do that in some kind of holiday.

BRAWL lasts a week, perhaps around Christmas would be good being as most people have at least a week off, perhaps it could finish on christmas eve. The only problem is judging for that, but I don't mind waiting a month until all the holiday stuff's over until judging commences.

Septemberfest could be held in September perhaps?

And FOS at halloween obviously.
The Septemberfest time was sarcasm.

I would be more for a BRAWL if I knew it wasn't in school time. If it was after shortly after TOY, that would be good for me. Perfect infact, because summer holidays start a few days after TOY's end.

FOS will probably happen, however what I was referring to was the fact that if NXT can't find prizes, then I'd happily host one and the MT-bricks sponsorship, providing I was given permission from Smeagol.

'look like it was shot at 2 FPS by a blindfolded five year old boy with broken fingers and no thumbs.' -PushOver

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

BRAWL!!]

I didn't like Septemberfest. I entered because I had a really good idea - but my entry suffered and I regret entering. September is the busiest, most stressful month of the year for me - and in retrospective it was an incredibly stupid idea to enter.

I completed my Septemberfest entry within the first week of the month anyway; because I still had that week off. Honestly - I loved BRAWL when it was in August and I had almost every single hour of the week free to work on my entry.

Am I the only one who thinks this way?

Filmfire96 wrote:

BRAWL lasts a week, perhaps around Christmas would be good being as most people have at least a week off, perhaps it could finish on christmas eve. The only problem is judging for that, but I don't mind waiting a month until all the holiday stuff's over until judging commences.

I imagine quite a lot of people have people to visit and places to go during the Christmas holidays. I loved doing THAC at Christmas, and it was nice to do it in early January, but I think the whole week would be too much. Also, Christmas is a great time to get extra money from work.

YouTube
Max, She/They

It would be best to do THAC and BRAWL on Christmas break I think. Can't really do it during the school year because of tests.

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

Summertime is your friend.

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

I'd be up for a BRAWL this year, late july- early august. I think we should keep THAC annual as it keeps it special and fresh.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/nomfee/Lego/fjpb_poster_.png
Click above to watch mini/bigsmile
Youtube Twitter

Onion wrote:

Summertime is your friend.

Heehee...forgot about summer. Yea! I would love to have THAC during the summer!

http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/callout_hdvideo_091511.jpg    http://www.usa.canon.com/assets/app/images/callouts/cameras/cdlc_148_rt.jpg

Yeah, BRAWL around christmas would be good, but as Max Butcher said, a lot will probably be away.
BRAWL sounds as good as Septemberfest to me as long as it's not a school week. Is it normally during holiday time? If so, I think it'd be great.

THAC in my opinions a must, it will be good to actually enter this time. And it's such a good idea.

I'm also thinking that being as school starts in September for everyone, perhaps have the month long contest another month? August? I can remember Sean coming up with ABC, August Brickfilming Contest. But if BRAWLs going to be held then - yeah, awkward timing.

I still think that we can fit all 3 in somewhere, but as others have said, a whole month may be a bit much. Perhaps Septemberfest could be an every other year thing. I think that this time round it will have more entries. I just think it'd be a shame to do it once, then say it didn't work out so abandon it. Maybe it's because that I came second that I'm so fond on doing it, but I think that if it is done again that perhaps there'd be more entries.
I think a poll nearer the time, like last year. And I'd love to have THAC in summer, it'd be perfect (last THAC I went ice skating with school the day before, I think I need a break before I go 15+ hours straight next time). But I can't see it happening, I would love it to be then though.

Yes, I'd prefer of course to have BRAWL in August but have more frequent contests, and THAC more than once a year.

IMHO, the more contests with shorter deadlines the better (just not too many at the same time mini/smile ).

- edit -

There's been some discussion in the chat just now and an idea has been born that I'm quite fond of, and I would be prepared to host.

Running a Septemberfest Community Project.

Inb4 "CP's NEVER WERK" - The idea here would be that the contest takes place in the form of a community project. That is, everyone makes their entries but instead of them all being stand-alone stories, they all need to fit into a broader story as is the whole point of CP's.

CP's are generally doomed to failure, yes, however I think this idea might actually work if it was structured as a contest, with prizes for the best segments.

Thoughts? I would be up to hosting something like this, however I might not be as enticed to host a plainer, "normal" contest.

Last edited by Sean (June 17, 2011 (07:49pm))

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

I'm in for it.

bricksinmotion member of the year

In regards to timing - I don't mind what month it would be in, but I think for a CP contest project to be successful it would have to be at least a month long.

Thinking about it, this idea might work better as the next main annual contest.

Last edited by Sean (June 17, 2011 (08:00pm))

I think this would be a fantastic idea, and an excellent way to get me back in the hobby for the summer, But I'd have to wait a month if in late July/Early August. The only downside is that I'm having guests from Belgium come over around that time for 2 weeks.

That's an interesting idea, so we will have one big film at the end. I'm not sure though, depends what the story/theme is.
I do like the idea, but would prefer BRAWL just because that sounds a bit simpler. You have a theme, a week, go. Pretty simple.
But the thing is with a CP is that people aren't going to have a whole film at the end. They'd just have a short segment of a film, which probably won't make much sense unless the others before it are viewed. It's an interesting idea which I like, but I think it may be quite hard to do. I myself would rather just have a film at the end which I made all myself, it seems like something you can be a bit more proud of, something which you came up with the story for, you animated and you edited yourself.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, and I think it probably would work with prizes. But there are things I can see going wrong with it. Like, let's say we do a community project that has 25 parts to it, some parts nobody's going to want to animate and some parts loads of people will want to make. I'm totally for it if there's a way which we will get it to work as a competition. It's a clever and interesting idea though, which I think will work well if we get it right. Just at the moment I'd prefer doing a solo contest, where we each make our own entries, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure it will change if we get it to work. mini/smile

THAC would be good! Or a week long contest.

YouTube channel
N00bToob ebovv

Filmfire96 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea, and I think it probably would work with prizes. But there are things I can see going wrong with it. Like, let's say we do a community project that has 25 parts to it, some parts nobody's going to want to animate and some parts loads of people will want to make. I'm totally for it if there's a way which we will get it to work as a competition. It's a clever and interesting idea though, which I think will work well if we get it right. Just at the moment I'd prefer doing a solo contest, where we each make our own entries, but that's just my opinion and I'm sure it will change if we get it to work. mini/smile

This.

While I too like the idea (I did win a contest doing a collaboration with Jonathan), I'd honestly prefer a BRAWL or THAC, maybe both. Probably a lot of people are skeptical about the idea right about now, however, the potential for these to happen is high. I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to look for a sponsor or use some of their own money to get prizes, in return to host some of the most prestigious and popular contests. The problem is that people need the go-ahead from Moderators/Officials.

What I'd like, personally, is to have THAC twice a year, and BRAWL twice a year. Enough people would enter, I'm sure, and finding a sponsor wouldn't be all that hard either, I'd imagine. As for the times, well, there's usually about 5 breaks in a regular school year, midterm and half term, summer, christmas, and easter. This allows for many slots in which these contests could be held, thus allowing for more mature and advanced members to also enter.

Thoughts, anyone?

Drifter (THAC 11) - Here

@Sean:  I'm totally up for a community contest/project in August.  It sounds very interesting. mini/smile

From discussion with Smeagol and some feedback here, I'm thinking that a community project might get too complicated in a contest (whilst I still maintain it's an interesting idea).

To be perfectly honest, I'd like to enter a BRAWL for myself this year.

Onion wrote:
Filmfire96 wrote:

This.

While I too like the idea (I did win a contest doing a collaboration with Jonathan), I'd honestly prefer a BRAWL or THAC, maybe both. Probably a lot of people are skeptical about the idea right about now, however, the potential for these to happen is high. I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to look for a sponsor or use some of their own money to get prizes, in return to host some of the most prestigious and popular contests. The problem is that people need the go-ahead from Moderators/Officials.

What I'd like, personally, is to have THAC twice a year, and BRAWL twice a year. Enough people would enter, I'm sure, and finding a sponsor wouldn't be all that hard either, I'd imagine. As for the times, well, there's usually about 5 breaks in a regular school year, midterm and half term, summer, christmas, and easter. This allows for many slots in which these contests could be held, thus allowing for more mature and advanced members to also enter.

Thoughts, anyone?

The creator of the topic is back!  I like what you said Onion, THAC twice a year and BRAWL twice a year.  Possibly one during the Holiday's and one during the summer?  Also I like what Sean said.  I think another community project is at large.

http://i.imgur.com/CSwoca1.png