Topic: Ebaying DSLR cameras

I may invest in a Canon DSLR camera when I get a job, however they're rather expensive. Do any of you guys have experience with purchasing cameras from ebay and what are your thoughts on it?

Re: Ebaying DSLR cameras

I'd go with a proper retailer, I know it costs more, but for that size of investment, you want to be sure that you have a warranty etc.

I can highly recommend the Canon EOS 450D, it is an awesome camera for the price and I have had some great results.

The EOS 500D shots HD Movies, but I wouldn't want that, I'd rather have the 450D that is just a camera and not a 'jack of all trades' gadget.

Last edited by Si665 (November 15, 2009 (03:19am))

Good point.

Yeah I tried the EOS 500D at London Heathrow Airport the other week and I loved the Picture Quality on it.

However the EOS 450D looks reasonable in terms of pricing, I may check it out some more.

EDIT: Actually it appears to offer everything the 500D does except video, yay.

I guess I got lucky getting my nikon D60 as circiut city was dying it was on a huge sale

Aled check out Flickr, you can search for photos taken with specific cameras so you can see what the image quality is like.

You need this link:

Flickr Group of EOS 450D owners, showcase

I particularly like this guy

Soren Hedberg

Last edited by Si665 (November 15, 2009 (03:26am))

I suggest finding a local photography club. The chaps there are often upgrading and will usually on-sell their old gear at pretty decent prices plus you know the equipment works. You may need to hang around a bit and show off what you can do with an existing camera.

I found a (semi) local club and was able to pick up a chaps old 300D and a lens for a fraction of what it would have cost via eBay. I was able to take these photos with the 300D.

As for cameras, don't be taken in by the "you need loads of megapixels" speech. Where you want 10 megapixels + is if you are going to get your photos on billboards or in glossy magazines. If you are sharing them on the web, then even 3 or 4 megapixels would look fine (the dSLR's look a lot better because the image sensor is much bigger than in a compact and the lens makes a lot of difference). Plus once you start working out how to use all the functions then you can have a lot more fun with the camera.

Mind you, once you start out down the SLR path, it is very easy to want to get more and more gear - and it gets expensive quickly!

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

I bought two compact cameras from ebay so far and my experience was good. The models (Canon A510, G7) were already 2 years old when I bought them, so retailers didn't have them. The price was about a third of the original price so it definitely paid out. If older models have all the features you need, go with it.

Well, DSLRs are a tricky thing to buy. If you're a die hard photography fan (or a professional), you'll spend thousands on a camera alone (like my Dad's Nikon D2X).

Over the summer I was looking into a lens for my D100. (Macro Lens for Brickfilming, to be specific). Around $350 from B&H. For a lens. At that point, I'd buy a Powershot and finish.

So you see, DSLRs are indeed a hard thing to buy. Be careful, and good luck!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

(Macro Lens for Brickfilming, to be specific)

I was looking into those as well and found out that macro extension tubes will do just as well for the average lego-sized target.

Macro tubes (wikipedia), more details.

Here's a photo taken with my 300D and a macro tube.

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

That is a very good option.

But wikipedia says that they need more of an exposure time. Light Flicker city.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.