Topic: Coins!

Hello everyone! mini/delirium
It's been busy over here at Hemma Studios making a special YouTube account (Speaking of which... here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/HemmaStudios), and creating the Teaser for Coins. Here you can discuss the Trailer (See signature link), ask questions, and even give suggestions for new Videos.
Thanks, and any useful comments are appreciated. mini/wink

Check out our new film - Advert! mini/delirium

Re: Coins!

choppy animation, not very interesting lighting, not an amazing set, but creative use of the lamp post, very grainy, not giving us too much information/ footage to understand. try to work on that.

http://i.imgur.com/kmwjd.png
[10]]

NOS wrote:

choppy animation, not very interesting lighting, not an amazing set, but creative use of the lamp post, very grainy, not giving us too much information/ footage to understand. try to work on that.

All completely intentional. With the flurry of brickfilms coming out at the moment with perfect lighting, sets, animation etc, another immaculately produced brickfilm isn't gonna catch anyone's eye. So we go lo-fi. I apologize if you don't understand, but we think it's a simple enough idea. The point of this teaser is to let you know something's on the way. Which I believe it does. You'll have to wait and see the film to get the full picture.

Thanks anyway for the prompt and, eh, constructive reply!

LogicWithinReason

A teaser is actually a trailer which is compiled of shots that aren't actually in the movie - hence they are teasing you.

My first reaction was similar to NOS's, but I'll wait and see the film before judging...

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

Hazzat wrote:

A teaser is actually a trailer which is compiled of shots that aren't actually in the movie - hence they are teasing you.

My first reaction was similar to NOS's, but I'll wait and see the film before judging...

Thanks for reserving judgement! I hope you won't be disappointed with the actual movie. Note that it's a Music Video to a music piece that LogicWithinReason composed.

SilverScreenStuds

Hemma Studios wrote:

With the flurry of brickfilms coming out at the moment with perfect lighting, sets, animation etc, another immaculately produced brickfilm isn't gonna catch anyone's eye. So we go lo-fi. I apologize if you don't understand, but we think it's a simple enough idea.

Let me get this straight. People are working hard to create visually pleasing, good-looking brickfilms. So to make your film stand out, instead of working exceptionally hard to make something even cooler than everyone else's, you go for something less impressive.

There are tons of low-quality flickery brickfilms out there. Your film won't stand out that way.

~ Amanda

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AmandaHart/Images/signature.png

I have to agree with Amanda.  Purposefully making your film not that impressive isn't going to catch people's eye, more likely avert them.

I'm not saying technically perfect brickfilms are the only good brickfilms, there are definitely exceptions such as Taco Trouble, which has not great technical qualities but makes up for it with it's great story and characters. 
But a teaser trailer is supposed to get people hyped and excited about a film.  With the footage you gave, and little explanation of what the story is, nobody is getting hyped.

I guess what I'm really saying is that a teaser trailer doesn't really work for your film.  If you decide to make another trailer, I would suggest letting us know there's something more about the film than the fact that it is intentionally technically inferior to other brickfilms.

"The first teaser trailer for the hotly-anticipated debut brickfilm from Hemma Studios."

I know people not taking to you as a star can be a little frustrating when you work hard on a film and reckon you've gota great new idea and story, and I know it is also slightly annoying and a little hurtful when people bluntly and rudely criticise your work. It happened to me when I first posted at Brickfilms.com 2 years ago, and I'll admit that I had one comment which I thought was useless and rude, and held a grudge against the author for a while until I realised there was no point. (I thought I might just mention that Simon/Si665 left some really great feedback and I've highly regarded him ever since)

NOS, that was one of the nastiest posts I've ever seen, if you're feeling pissed off at some people here about the negative comments towards you, maybe taking a break (a long one) from the site and being a kid will do more good than leaving rude comments to newer members of the site.

Okay closer to the subject, my original point was that I may seem very harsh, but I don't intend it.
First of all, in the Avante Garde thread, you mentioned that you guys were "practically veteran brickfilmers", you may have been  brickfilming for a couple of years, but that doesn't make you a veteran, I think to earn that title (or nickname/nicktitle) you have to have been a part of the (or a) brickfilming community for some time and be respectable, helpful and a contributing member, it also wouldn't hurt if you've made some creditable films - and generally only older members in their adult years have achieved any of those.
And it would seem that you fancy yourselves as highly regarded/experienced brickfilmers, but you're not really, and judging by the teaser, you've got room for improvement. I don't want to say you're not good, becuase you are, and you've got potential if you stick with it.

Whether or not your comment about the low-quality was an ego-booster, I don't know, but if you want your film to be noticed, for bing a good film, you'll need all the effort you can give. The teaser was pretty good for a new community member, but if you can do better, please do. If you do tell us this is the best you can do, you're brickfilming will end up being so much better, becuase I'd rather help a new brickfilmer whos giving it his best, than another that's saying they can do a lot better.

Well.... I personaly think it was cool. Looking forward to it.

Riley wrote:

"The first teaser trailer for the hotly-anticipated debut brickfilm from Hemma Studios."

I know people not taking to you as a star can be a little frustrating when you work hard on a film and reckon you've gota great new idea and story, and I know it is also slightly annoying and a little hurtful when people bluntly and rudely criticise your work. It happened to me when I first posted at Brickfilms.com 2 years ago, and I'll admit that I had one comment which I thought was useless and rude, and held a grudge against the author for a while until I realised there was no point. (I thought I might just mention that Simon/Si665 left some really great feedback and I've highly regarded him ever since)

NOS, that was one of the nastiest posts I've ever seen, if you're feeling pissed off at some people here about the negative comments towards you, maybe taking a break (a long one) from the site and being a kid will do more good than leaving rude comments to newer members of the site.

Okay closer to the subject, my original point was that I may seem very harsh, but I don't intend it.
First of all, in the Avante Garde thread, you mentioned that you guys were "practically veteran brickfilmers", you may have been  brickfilming for a couple of years, but that doesn't make you a veteran, I think to earn that title (or nickname/nicktitle) you have to have been a part of the (or a) brickfilming community for some time and be respectable, helpful and a contributing member, it also wouldn't hurt if you've made some creditable films - and generally only older members in their adult years have achieved any of those.
And it would seem that you fancy yourselves as highly regarded/experienced brickfilmers, but you're not really, and judging by the teaser, you've got room for improvement. I don't want to say you're not good, becuase you are, and you've got potential if you stick with it.

Whether or not your comment about the low-quality was an ego-booster, I don't know, but if you want your film to be noticed, for bing a good film, you'll need all the effort you can give. The teaser was pretty good for a new community member, but if you can do better, please do. If you do tell us this is the best you can do, you're brickfilming will end up being so much better, becuase I'd rather help a new brickfilmer whos giving it his best, than another that's saying they can do a lot better.

Riley, you are absolutely right. Thank you for the encouraging advice and you put our position into words perfectly! My brother, (the animator), is considerably younger than i and LogicWithinReason, and when he put up that we were "practically veteran broickfilmers", on the avant garde forum, he meant amateur. he just got confused, thats all, so im sorry if we got your hopes up for a great film and disappointed you with the trailer. We are amateur brickfilmers and this is our debut, so don't expect it to be fantastic. It's the best we can do at the moment and will work towards improving them all the time!  As for NOS' comment, i think he can get over himself and enjoy it for what it is, not what it could be..  LogicWithinReason's comment about the lo-fi, yes, i'll admit, did sound like an ego-booster. It wasn't totally intentional, and we will try and make it better in the future. But thanks again. Because of you we have the courage to go on!

Amanda, thanks for the helpful comment, but at a first read it seemed kinda harsh. I know, to catch people's eye they're looking for great effects, good quality, etc. but again, we are amateur brickfilmers, and this is a debut. Please don't slate us for our first go. We will try to improve, but as i said about NOS' comment, enjoy it for what it is, not what it could be!:) Helpful criticism is appreciated, and we will take into consideration everything that you say, but don't treat us like we've been making films for years, cause we haven't. Thank you!=]

Fancypants, your comment is a helpful one. You're right, a trailer doesn't suit our film, especially since the actually film won't be that long, but we just wanted to give people a taste as what it's going to be like before you see the actually thing. Its more to show what standard we're at, <i>before</i> you see the actually film. I know the trailer leaves everyone in the dark, and i will try better next time. Although it wasn't my idea to put out to public, i just did it for fun.:lol:   Thanks again!

Brickyman, Thanks or the comment! It made me happy that someone's looking forward to it! I hope we don't disappoint you too much!

Peace out, PeanutButterJellyBricks.

Hemma Studios wrote:

we are amateur brickfilmers, and this is a debut.

Well that changes things.  I was under the impression (and think Amanda was as well) that you were purposefully not doing your best, and are capable of better.  But since you've clarified your status, I can say that if you're doing your best, no one should expect anything more than that, and if that's one of your first brickfilms, than it was actually quite good.  So I apologize for the negative comments.

Just a little advice though.  If I've got this straight (correct me if I'm wrong) you've got three different people posting on the same account.  This has obviously already caused a lot of confusion because of somewhat contradictory posts.  I would just suggest if you are all going to operate under the same name, just make sure you are all on the same page, if you know what I mean.  mini/wink

Normally, several people on one account will sign off with their name to avoid confusion, so the post would end (in my case) like this:

-Hazzat

Fancypants wrote:
Hemma Studios wrote:

we are amateur brickfilmers, and this is a debut.

Well that changes things.  I was under the impression (and think Amanda was as well) that you were purposefully not doing your best, and are capable of better.  But since you've clarified your status, I can say that if you're doing your best, no one should expect anything more than that, and if that's one of your first brickfilms, than it was actually quite good.  So I apologize for the negative comments.

Just a little advice though.  If I've got this straight (correct me if I'm wrong) you've got three different people posting on the same account.  This has obviously already caused a lot of confusion because of somewhat contradictory posts.  I would just suggest if you are all going to operate under the same name, just make sure you are all on the same page, if you know what I mean.  mini/wink

Thank you! I actually misunderstood the actual meaning of the word "Veteran", but now that I've been corrected I feel like a dunce. mini/sad It's also nice to receive a generous comment from someone I've looked up to. mini/wink Thanks again, and we'll try and distinguish which one of us is posting in the future.

SilverScreenStuds Executive Producer, Director, and Animator for Hemma Studios.

Sorry for the negative comment towards all of you in the other thread. It's just that the word "Veteran Brickfilmer" is something that you can't take lightly here. I'm not a veteran brickfilmer. You're not a veteran brickfilmer. Very few of us on this site are veteran brickfilmers. But let's not dwell on the terminology, welcome to the site, and I hope you're film will be a good one. mini/smile

P.S - You really should make separate accounts for each of the members of "Hemma Studios", seeing as joint accounts can get VERY confusing.

Spudster wrote:

Sorry for the negative comment towards all of you in the other thread. It's just that the word "Veteran Brickfilmer" is something that you can't take lightly here. I'm not a veteran brickfilmer. You're not a veteran brickfilmer. Very few of us on this site are veteran brickfilmers. But let's not dwell on the terminology, welcome to the site, and I hope you're film will be a good one. mini/smile

P.S - You really should make separate accounts for each of the members of "Hemma Studios", seeing as joint accounts can get VERY confusing.

Thanks! I've got a lot of people saying we should make accounts for each of us, however if we put our Signature at the end of the post in Bold then I don't see what the problem is.

SilverScreenStuds

Coins will hopefully be released either tonight or tomorrow! mini/delirium LogicWithinReason has been working all day at it.
Sorry for double posting, by the way.

Thanks, Hazzet! SilverScreenStuds

Last edited by Hemma Studios (September 24, 2009 (12:33pm))

You forgot to sign off. mini/wink

I'd have to agree with what Watson said in his review of Taco Trouble, and that is that really, at the end of the day, people will remember a film because of enjoyment. If you make your film highly enjoyable, people will want to watch it time and time again.
Also, films with good technical aspects might be rewatched carefully by less experienced filmers to learn.