Re: The 2008 Bricks In Motion Awards RESULTS (Video Posted)

Leonardo812 wrote:

All right, Philip. Next year you're gonna sweep them all with Space Opera, right?

- Leo

The River will go on a murderous rampage.

Relax, Space Opera won't be complete until some time in 2010.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Smeagol's signature panel is going to be huge with all those awards. Congratulations to all the winners.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

Congratulations to everyone! Some seriously good films made it! I loved all of them... I can't wait for the next Awards to take place. mini/smile

-Cougar
formerly
Jerry Hunte

I honestly don't agree with quite a few of the choices, but congratulations to all the winners anyway.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I've uploaded a Recap Video of the BiM Awards to YouTube as well. It contains all clips shown at the event, as well as some extra footage. Enjoy!

I'm still working on the transcript, I'll try getting that up soon.

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

The results are about what I expected. Congratulations to all the winners!

-ht

Wow! mini/smile

what a surprise - thank you very much for that nice news. We did not notice to be nominated with "802.701 - The Time Machine".
Congratulations to the other winning films and creators.
Feels good to have this little "golden Minifig". As i did not revieve a PM with the banner - can someone do this ?
I like it and would love to put it in my BLOG and the golego.de page.

And as there is a FULL-LONG (not splitted) version of "802.701 - The Time Machine" in HD can you please update the link to this youtube-page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqb0ExHOfv0

mini/mrgreen <--- me as a smiling morlok...

UPDATE: i found the banners - blog updated. No PM needed.

Last edited by golego (August 12, 2009 (02:28am))

Whoa...Smeagol won, like, most of the categories. mini/bigsmile

http://thebuttonfilm.com/

golego wrote:

mini/mrgreen <--- me as a smiling morlok...

Here's me as a smiling murloc

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bluebrickstudios/Folder/smiling_murloc_on_bim.jpg

On-topic: Man, the live awards were fun!

Last edited by Tyler (August 12, 2009 (02:42pm))

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/bluebrickstudios/Sigs/rs_sig.png

mini/eek mini/eek mini/eek hi

kizzy fish wrote:

welcome to BiM...

kizzy fish wrote:

ohai

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

kizzy fish wrote:

Hello and welcome to BiM. Remember NOT to post things like that in a thread like this.

These are some very questionable decisions. I watched "Unrenewable", while ambitious, I think you guys are overrating it way too much for being made by the site admin. The voice acting award is especially bogus IMO.

Seriously, we're not the kind of people who worship our site admin or anything, especially not the judges.

This was the result I was expecting. The judging was fair but the nominations process quite silly.
The correlation between the Nominees/Winners/Judges was almost one to one.
Looking at these results you would conclude that Unrenewable was the best brickfilm made in 2008. Although mildly interesting in theme and style the story was kinda boring and the animation almost non existent. The Pirates movie was way better IMO at least it had some action. Still a fine effort NXT, it's not an easy job to organise something of this magnitude.
Kind of ironic that the prizes consist of signature panels created by the major winner who chooses not to use them.

The group of people eligible to judge was much larger, but with a "shortlist" over over 2 hours in running time it's not surprising that mostly people with some investment in it wanted to contribute.  80% isn't that close to "one-to-one" IMO, especially if you consider that I only voted on two categories, bring most of it down to 70% or less, most of these people being nominated in only one category.  The judges weren't judging in categories they were considered for so I don't think that should create a bias issue.  Also judges could not nominate their own work.  And less than half of nominated films were from judges, a good ratio considering judges were mostly selected on the basis of having made good films in the past (though any 'beta testers' were invited to vote).

A lot of thought went into this setup so I have to assume that your dismissal of the nomination system as "silly" comes from ignorance, like most of your other criticisms.  "The germans and the French also made some awesome films during 2008."  Yes, and they got a lot of nominations for them.

I agree on the banners, but thought it made sense to have them for people who wanted them, also for consistency with future years.

As far as the wins go, I can't say that I was a big fan of Pirates, it certainly got mixed reactions from BiM members which I think supports this.  It did appear twice on my nominations ballot (score and ensemble cast) but evidently the collective panel didn't agree.  The panel consisted of some of very qualified people so even if I don't agree with all the decisions - including ones in my favor - I would have a tough time saying they're unreasonable.  If experience in making brickfilms is any indication, they are for the most part more qualified to make these judgments than you, even if you don't agree with them.

Well you have done a reasonable effort to justify this but the fact remains the judges were mostly entrants:

Judges:
Sméagol            Multi - Winner
Nick Durron        Nominee
Nikolas Jaeger         Nominee
ManVan                 ?
Jordan Harris        Nominee
VN                        Nominee
Zach Macias        Winner
Lego Shark        Nominee
David Pagano        Nominee
NXTManiac

Read into this what you will but to me it means that the judges consisted of some of the best brickfilmers.
I must be ignorant if I have an opinion different to yours (and possibly the majority)?
Silly to have some the choices you came up with for best animation in 2008.
Were they really the best animations you could find?

brick4brains wrote:

Read into this what you will but to me it means that the judges consisted of some of the best brickfilmers.
I must be ignorant if I have an opinion different to yours (and possibly the majority)?
Silly to have some the choices you came up with for best animation in 2008.
Were they really the best animations you could find?

I'm not saying you're ignorant because you disagree with me -- After all, I just said I disagreed with some of the decisions.  I'm saying you're ignorant because you've shown time and time again that you don't know what you're talking about.  The talk of a "secret" IRC chat, the suggestion that we ignored French and German films, and the accusation that Night Owl didn't use all the mod elements all make you look like a clueless troll grasping at straws for something to criticize.  None of them have any support, or make any sense to somebody who understands the situation.  My point is that you make criticisms without doing any homework first.

And yes, the judges do consist mostly of some of the best brickfilmers we could find who were willing to vote, but wouldn't that be a good thing?

The nominations weren't perfect IMO, partly due to the lack of any central system for selecting films to be eligible (the downfall of Brickfilms.com and the slow development of BiM are to blame for this, we did the best we could with what we had to work from) but I do think that there is a large degree of subjectivity any something in judging films.  The judges are generally well qualified, so even if I don't agree with every nomination I would say that they were all at least some of the best in their respective categories in the views of multiple qualified judges; we can't include all of everyone's favorites when there are only four spots up for grabs in each category.