Re: The 2008 Bricks In Motion Awards Nominations [CLOSED]

I don't like the name of BiMa's. It has to be easy to say and catchy like BAFAs. Beemuhs is just too confusing. I think we should change it and call it The Baas

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2641/3791141002_73980ff54c.jpg

Spoiler (click to read)

note: don't go crazy on me guys, it's a joke

I think it's fine, and doesn't need a snappy acronym.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Yes, while discussing the name with the beta testers team, it was decided that an acronym wasn't needed, and while many call it the BiMAs, it is officially the Bricks In Motion Awards, it wasn't meant to really have an acronym. It's just easier to type "BiMAs". mini/wink

NXTManiac

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

brick4brains wrote:

Try this LINK it's an interesting video. The fact you haven't seen it probably indicates a loop hole in the current nominations which you have a cunning plan to fix for 09.

A Great Effort but,
Let me point out that that clip is not heavy on stop-motion or any animation. Do you need a behind the scenes with ridiculous numbers billions to appreciate a brickfilm? mini/no Cool things are the hand model and the surprise ending. mini/yes

This thread has too many words.

Sméagol wrote:
Riley wrote:
Night Owl wrote:

Nah, I'm very much in favor of Playback getting a nomination; and yes, it's because of the two figures.

I don't think playback was the best compared to others.

Honestly I would give the edge to Playback pretty handily in this case - as the images demonstrate, the sets in Train 2 Catch are quite large, but IMO the attention to detail suffers.

"The sets are large, but the attention to detail suffers" - but the set in playback was pretty much a large park bench, with little detail, and seeing as I think it's fairly obvious if you slow down Train to Catch and watch it at a slower rate, there was enormous attention to detail. I wouldn't mind if you could explain what part of the set in Playback has the edge.

Also, Playback was great, I loved it.

Edit: The LEGO City commercial's were amazing, but of course, as you guys have pointed out, making money or being associated with LEGO means that the film is completely out of consideration.

Edit: That was sarcasm, I thought I should point that out because there's been a lot of confusion over sarcasm in text in this thread so far. I was pointing out how a lot of you were acting as if it was stupid to not consider a film becuase it was associated with LEGO.

Last edited by Riley (August 5, 2009 (03:01am))

Riley wrote:

"The sets are large, but the attention to detail suffers" - but the set in playback was pretty much a large park bench, with little detail, and seeing as I think it's fairly obvious if you slow down Train to Catch and watch it at a slower rate, there was enormous attention to detail. I wouldn't mind if you could explain what part of the set in Playback has the edge.

The characters, primarily, as Night Owl mentioned.  Not "set" in the strictest sense but I think it makes sense to include anything outside of the ordinary use of minifigs, such as props and custom-built characters, in this category, perhaps it can be clarified a bit in the future.  The set looks good too though, the radio is nicely built, and the faked perspective in the background is a pretty cool idea.  It's not massive or extremely ambitious but what's there is all very well done.

For the record, I didn't have either of these two films on my ballot for set design.  I had Jane's Brain on there, was sort of surprised it didn't make the cut but the competition was stiff.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Personally, I think it's unfair to categorise the characters in playback as part of the set. They're great models yes, but they're the characters. If there was a section for character design I'm sure everyone would have no problem with it being nominated for that section. But it's set design, not character design and no matter how you look it it, the figures in Playback are characters.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

brick4brains wrote:

Who else knew Steve's IRC? He didn't have it listed publicly. Given the situation would I have done the same? Yes probably but I would have at least been open to that criticism.

I don't know what you mean by "Stevie's IRC".  Unless you mean you want to contact me in the IRC chat about THAC 7.  I don't want this thread to be discussing THAC, but if you were wondering when THAC 7 is happening, VN currently is doing THAC.  Although VN and I were discussing in the chat recently about me running it again or co-running it, because he doesn't feel like he might have time anymore.  We're still unsure.

NXTManiac wrote:

I'm hoping the 2009 Awards will be in the winter, Graeme, so yes, 5 or 6 months until this comes around again.

That would be cool if it was early 2010.  Probably the only reason these Bricks In Motion awards (or, BAFAs, at the time) were held up because filmbrain gave it to Nathan Wells, and he hasn't been here in months.

Last edited by Steve (August 5, 2009 (07:02am))

brick4brains wrote:

Try this LINK it's an interesting video. The fact you haven't seen it probably indicates a loop hole in the current nominations which you have a cunning plan to fix for 09.

First of all, that video was made in 2009. These are the 2008 nominations. Second, it's not a brickfilm - it's behind-the-scenes video footage for a commercial. If the commercial was primarily stop-motion and was submitted by the creator, that might be a different story.

And some of us (including myself) are actually subscribed to that channel, so I have already seen it. Loophole fixed.

- Leo

A thread regarding the Live chat has been posted. You can read it here.

NXTManiac

All the nominees have been well chosen. Good luck to everyone!

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/0a6ec04f4d.jpg

Sean wrote:

Personally, I think it's unfair to categorise the characters in playback as part of the set. They're great models yes, but they're the characters. If there was a section for character design I'm sure everyone would have no problem with it being nominated for that section. But it's set design, not character design and no matter how you look it it, the figures in Playback are characters.

I agree it doesn't fit within the definition that NXT typed up, but I don't agree that they shouldn't be considered.  I think it's pretty clear that we would never have a category for "character design" considering almost everybody here just uses pre-built minifigs, so set construction is really anything that had to be custom-built for the film, using bricks.  Limiting recognition of the building skills shown in a film to the environments makes no sense to me.  Like I said, we'll probably want to rename/rephrase this category in the future.

Leonardo812 wrote:

First of all, that video was made in 2009. These are the 2008 nominations. Second, it's not a brickfilm - it's behind-the-scenes video footage for a commercial. If the commercial was primarily stop-motion and was submitted by the creator, that might be a different story.
And some of us (including myself) are actually subscribed to that channel, so I have already seen it. Loophole fixed.

I can't believe that I have to quote myself here:

brick4brains wrote:

The point was not that Nathan's fine work should be disqualified for being professional work but that it sets a precident and that other professional brickfilms should have been included. For example the millions of bricks in the set of the Lego City commercials should be nominated for best set period.

Well the commercials were what I was taking about they had a number of them release during 2008 that used this set. This behind the scenes showed off the set very well which was why I added the link. One channel subscription wasn't the loophole but just one example. In a similar situtation the "Go mini man go" promotional video was all CG and very good. You have fixed nothing Leo. It was Smeagol that had the brilliantly simply sugestion that in order for a film to be nominated in the future it would need to have been submitted to BIM.  For the 2008 awards that wasn't the case it came down to people mentioning what they liked in a thread. This led to some films falling through the cracks and not being nominated. The germans and the French also made some awesome films during 2008. The bigger question was what constitutes a brickfilm? I would say animation. Most of these commercials involved time lapse with only some limited CG animation of mini-figs. In the wash-up the description of nominations were to blame for much of the confusion and debate IMO.

I am sorry that the descriptions have lacked in quality this year, I can assure you that in the future the BiM Awards will be more defined, because of all the chaos 2008 brought upon us, this was delayed a very long time. It was time to wrap these up, so some films may have been missed. Like Smèagol said, future awards will be easier to define what films are eligible, and which ones aren't, due to the release of the directory.

NXTManiac

Renaming the "Best Set Design" to "Best Set and Element Design" or something similiar would be an excellent idea. I've probably been a bit of a pain in the bum to some of you, and I'm sorry about that, but when something goes wrong to me, I usually don't ball my eyes out, but act a little more nastily.

NXTManiac wrote:

It's just easier to type "BiMAs". mini/wink

... Are you kidding me?

filmyguy wrote:
NXTManiac wrote:

It's just easier to type "BiMAs". mini/wink

... Are you kidding me?

mini/eh If he is...I don't get it.  Isn't 5 letters easier than "Bricks in Motion Awards?"

Brick4Brains, the bottom line is that there was a team of respected, established brickfilmers who voted on the best films submitted to the Bricks in Motion film directory or forums during 2008 and 2009, and the list stands.

As for what constitutes a brickfilm, it's generally accepted that brickfilms are stop-motion films made with LEGO toys or similar "block" building toys.

"I am Kansas" -Smeagol
http://heythats.cool

Sméagol wrote:

I had Jane's Brain on there

He he he.....Jane's Brain I love that film.

Spoiler (click to read)

Monkey playing trumpet while riding a bicycle is my kind of funny.

Some of the creator houses were straight out of the box however the original components were exceptional as was the animation.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube