Topic: Helium Frog 2.05 Released

Ive just uploaded version 2.05

Full Audio capabilities - Load an audio soundtrack via the settings window. The soundtrack will now play in both the main window and the editor enabling the user to syncronise movement or lip syncing with soundtrack.

Simplified starting - The program no longer exits if it cannot find a source device, but waits for the camera to be connected.

Exposure sheet - A full length exposure sheet is now visible in the main form. The sheet scrolls with the animation, so the user can see exactly what the next frame requires.

Lip sync capability - The exposure sheet now contains Preston Blair phoneme mouth shapes. The program recognises lines on the X sheet which contain bracketed phonemes eg. [WQ] [MBP] and the mouth image respond to these.

Papagayo import - Papagayo lip sync software produces .pgo files. The utilities window now enables these to be translated to .txt files to be used as the Helium Frog X sheet.

Error Reporting - Should Helium Frog fail at any point, the error is caught and the user has a chance to note down the error and can then send feedback.

Last edited by martinprice2004 (May 11, 2009 (08:13am))

Free Animation Software at www.HeliumFrog.com

Re: Helium Frog 2.05 Released

Do you think it will ever be compatible with mac?

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Antifaan/KISS/kiss_banner_2.jpg

HAZZAH !

I'd just like to say that although I don't use it much, Helium Frog is a great piece of software! I also like the fact that with each update, you fix the little things I didn't like about the previous versions of the software to make it better.

I think Helium Frog should have the option to export the images as PNG's, or JPG's. So you can edit the frames in GIMP or something.

Helium Frog has all these options already and more.

Just go to the settings window and tick on what you want in the output individual frames section. Take a look at the documentation on www.HeliumFrog.com for further details about the settings window.

In addition, you can export individual frames as jpegs from a completed animation. See the utilities window.

mini/bigsmile

Sounds Good, but I encounter an error.

"I cannot find any video source devices, i must end"

It is quite logical that it can't find any video source devices as I want to use my EOS 40D and not a quickcam, but that should be no reason for ending.

I just downloaded it and when I select my webcam at the start and click apply on the options thing after choosing 800X600. An error pops up and says :

"Run Time Error 430. Class does not support Automation or does not support espected interface."

Meh, keeps crashing on my computer

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

I just animated a shot this evening using QCP 9000 and Animator DV+ Simple and had 4 out of 63 frames captured as black screen only (no image).  Fortunately, I noticed these as they happened, so I re-captured the same frame.  [In AnDVSimp, this is fixed by going into the project settings mode and then back out again, this causes the camera to refresh, but what a pain in the butt.]

Anyway, I can't continue taking such chances (what if I'd failed to catch some of those failed frames?).  So I'm very excited to try HFrog next time I film a shot.  I'll post back here how it goes.

Ending when Helium Frog cannot find source devices. I have rewritten this so Helium Frog will wait for you to connect a device. It will be in the next issue.

Runtime error 430. This occurs when the program cannot find a file it needs to run. Helium Frog has all its dependant files embedded in the code, so it is unlikely that it cannot find one! This could possibly occur with a strange version of windows, but this is unlikely. A more likely cause is that your source drivers have not been installed correctly for your hardware. This could be either your webcam or camera or your firewire card etc. Let me know your hardware and I may be able to help you more.

fib12345 - Let me know where it crashes and what hardware / operating system you use. There may be an easy solution. I dont wish to be difficult, but of all the emails I have recieved I would estimate 95% of the crashes occur because people have renamed files, moved the program, disconnected webcams whilst running, recompressed files whilst animating, loaded multiple versions over each other, not installed drivers etc. etc.  Most of these problems could be avoided if you could spend about 2 minutes reading the quickstart guide on the website and the FAQ page. Whilst I dont mind helping anyone (In fact I actually enjoy it) You could save yourself a lot of time and spend it making more lego animations!

Let me know your hardware and I may be able to help you more.

I use a QCP 9000, I think a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC with Vista, and I think that's it.

I know qc9000 and Vista runs OK, as I installed it last week on this combination, so perhaps the issue is with a corrupted .dll file. This can be a registry problem. Your computer may be using a corrupted .dll rather than the embedded one in the software.Try the following.

1) Delete Helium Frog and its directory completely.
2) Download and run CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com) and run the registry cleaner, this will clean and repair registry faults. It is free to download. An alternative is regcure (www.regcure.com) but I havent used this , this does however specifically look for error 430 problems.
3) Uninstall your camera using the control panel . Then reload the software CD disk BEFORE connecting the camera. The QC 9000 is very fussy about this. If you dont do it in this order, you sometimes get issues such as restricted resolution options.
3) Download a fresh copy of the latest Helium Frog (www.HeliumFrog.com) to a clean directory and try again.

Ok, I'll try that.

EDIT: It didn't work. mini/blankexpression Thanks for the help though.

Last edited by MooCJ (April 21, 2009 (02:47pm))

Does HeliumFrog support HDMI input from a HDV camera?

Helium Frog, Windows and for as far as I'm aware all PC Capture Software use directx (directshow) filters. This means that if your camera is connected to a capture card that supports directshow then it will work.

The reason that software is designed that way is so microsoft and myself! dont have to develop drivers for every piece of hardware in existence. The camera / capture card maker then write drivers which are compatible with directx. You should really redirect these questions to the maker of your camera / camcorder an ask them how do I stream live video from my camera to directshow(directx) software. Here is a few examples of how you connect devices. Webcams are the easiest as most are supplied with directx drivers and connect immediately. HDMI streams tyically over 1gbit/sec of raw video, so a capture card to handle this is both rare and expensive.

Windows <<<<<<<DirectShowInterface<<<<<<<<<USB Webcam
Helium Frog<<<<<DirectShowInterface <<<<<<<<<BlackmagicCapturecard (HDMI)<<<<<<<<<DigitalCamcorder
After Effects<<<<<DirectShowInterface<<<<<<<<<EasyCap (Analog)<<<<<<vhs camcorder
Stop Motion Pro<<<DirectShowInterface<<<<<<<<HauppageTV card

an example of capture cards that will work is as follows:-
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

A cheap alternative is to use the coaxial analog output on your device, if it has one and a usb capture device (eg EasyCap for about £15)

New release - see first post for details