Topic: Ram

Hello, Ive been doing some HD (720p) in after effects lately and things are running a bit chuggy. I currently have 3GB of 800mhz ddr2 ram. would upgrading to 4GB of DDR3 ram solve this problem? or would the graphics card/processor need to be upgraded as well?

Re: Ram

THat depends on what graphics card you use.

I'm BACK! mini/bigsmile

Yes, i have affter effects too and i run a 1GB graphics card on 16GB of RAM. But a $80 graphics card will do the trick.

http://www.bestbrickstudios.net/images/banner003.png

It also depends on what OS you're running. If it's a 32 bit OS, 4GB will be the most it will be able to use. If it's 64 bit, you can use just about as much RAM as you'd like.

Last edited by NickMOC (May 4, 2009 (03:43am))

The smartest thing to do is first check how many RAM your motherboard can have.
This features loads of computer parts but it's in Dutch.
If you want to run After Effects without any buggy things you would need the following:
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P (24 Gigs of RAM)
Samsung 8GB RAM sticks (3)
ATI Radeon HD4870 X2
Intel Core I7 Xtreme

That would do the job. Now, if you can run up to 8GB of RAM I would recommend upgrading to that. I've had 4GB myself and it doesn't get the job done.
A good videocard is also very important. I've got an NVIDIA 9800GT, it can run the newest games around High. But the best for this would be the HD4870 X2.
A new processor would always come in handy. I, again, have got an Intel Core 2 Quad. But if you have the money (1000 bucks) get an Intel Core I7.
If you want a new computer, try an HP Firebird

Hope that helps

-Donsalvatore

EDIT: Yes, a 64 bit desktop is loads better. But you've probably got a 32.

Last edited by Donsalvatore (May 4, 2009 (03:44am))

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

thanks. my motherboard can support 4gb ram, would going from DDR2-3 make a difference?

You need to have a motherboard and CPU that supports DDR3 RAM, so if you want DDR3 you need to change your motherboard and CPU.

It might the the graphics, or more likely your CPU I think... What are your specs?

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/RockyFS/things/sigbim1_copy.jpg

-Available to answer questions on Hardware, Software, and Audio. Also, I recommend checking out the offical Free Software List

NEEDS MOAR RAM!!! j/k -- you might have a lot of processes running that you're unaware of... mini/blankexpression

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/fib12345/Lolz/lulz.png
"actuallly this involves spiderman too, not batman. but im also taking a new approach, more comedy, less action. i dont see to many movies like that with more comedy than action" --SteveStarfyTV on an Indiana Jones meets Star Wars idea.

Well, I think 3GB RAM is quite enough for now. You should be thinking about a new video card.
I think that would be better for now then extra RAM.

-Donsalvatore

New film:
In Pre-Production...]

my rig is 1.5 years old, the 8500GT and dual core (yes, dual core >.<) 2.5Gh. so my motherboard probably cant take DDR3 QQ

That's what I said, get a new video card. It's currently more importnant then RAM.

-Donsalvatore

New film:
In Pre-Production...]