Re: Studying Film

I have to study and analyse films in media, so yeah.

I enjoy commentaries too, though they vary. I think the Lord of the Rings extended editions do a fabulous job at pretty much everything, commentary or special features. Some movies I like are made by reclusive directors (Terrence Malick, Coen brothers), so there aren't any commentary tracks there. I remember listening to Todd Haynes talking about I'm Not There, which was pretty funny since he was saying great stuff but has just about the worst monotone speaking voice ever. mini/tongue I think I've listened to every commentary on Season Six of The Simpsons.

The book I'm reading on Terrence Malick has some really interesting ideas in it, like the use of visual leitmotifs throughout a film and the concept of characters that are deliberately two-dimensional to represent certain archetypes.

I definitely pay attention to different aspects when I watch films, like how shots are filmed, which camera angles are used, what you can see... I love watching making-of's and sometimes commentaries as well. I think the more you concern yourself with the various aspects of film-making, the more you learn for your own project.
I enjoy write-up's and making-of's of brickfilms in special. To see how other brickfilmer would do something, is very helpful in my opinion.

Also, there are (a few, but some) films I watch over and over again. The Dark Knight is a very good example for me, here. I just love how this film is created, how cinematograhpy is done, and how the plot develops. I know every scene, every dialogue and every movement of this film. mini/wink

So, to answer your question: yes, I do 'study' films. Although in some films more, and in some less- I always look and concentrate of how things are done.

- JD

http://www.abload.de/img/cooksige238.jpg
YouTube | Flickr                                 "Bad Taste on YouTube"

I don't study films,but I do really look out for how certain things would have been done...

11:41 Hazzat NO FUN ALLOWED IN BRICKFILMING COMMUNITY