Topic: Studying Film

I don't know about all of you, but I am not a naturally talented artist or film-maker. I don't have "the gift" as some people say. So, the way I improve as a film-maker is to study other films made by directors much more skilled than I am. For example, yesterday I wrote out a scene outline and conflict outline of Wall-E, took notes, and storyboarded three of the scenes. I learned a ton just from that one film - seeing the way the camera cuts, moves, and how color is used to portray emotion throughout.

Anyway, my question is - do you all study films? How do you look at a film and use what you see to improve your craft? What things in particular do you look for, and what films have stood out to you? Or do you not have to study film - do you have this intrinsic sense of what will look good? Just some miscellaneous questions to dig into how your minds work. mini/smile

- Leo

Re: Studying Film

Yes, I do, in order to make a movie sucessful, you need Megan Fox, explosions, giant robots, and possiblt Shia LaBouf (However you spell his last name.) in it.

meme
http://i.imgur.com/gMfjgiC.jpg

Anyway, my question is - do you all study films?

Yes, definitely. I look and listen at everything, I don't necessary storyboard an entire scene but I do try to remember how the director did certain scenes. It really helps and you can use those as a small startingpoint when making a film.

Haha.

_2014

Smeagol's smamming, intresting.

meme

Sorry folks, my roommate posted some spammage when I stepped away from the PC for about 30 seconds. mini/lol

-Sméagol

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

It was still funny.

meme

Sméagol wrote:

Sorry folks, my roommate posted some spammage when I stepped away from the PC for about 30 seconds. mini/lol

-Sméagol

Or is that just what you want us to think?

_2014

A plot to destroy Smeagol....

Maar serious, ik wil wel stop motion animatie gaan doen mini/smile

-Darkman

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Hmm.. I can't say I do. I pay more attention to how the actors act (as I hope to become an actor or director some day). Though I usually do remember how shots were made (or how I think they were made mini/tongue), especially if they were just awesome. mini/wink

When I watch films I definately pay attention to the shots that catch my eye most. Also, I look to see what kind of effects or certain settings were used to portray certain things. I do this with large movies/films and brickfilms.
I don't storyboard or anything, however after watching a movie I usually get inspired to make a similar feeling movie mini/smile

Constantly. I study every film I watch.
How I've learned all the stuff I know about film making, is studying films and watching the special features on the DVD. mini/mrgreen
Cinematography is another thing I study a lot too. I love good cinematography.

I generally pay a lot of attention to visual techniques and not enough to acting, which I need to change. Sometimes I'll read about a film, either from a technical standpoint (American Cinematographer is a great magazine to read for that) or a critical one (I generally read New Yorker reviews, and I'm reading a book on Terrence Malick right now).

I study any Aardman film I see.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Yeah. I look at what the script might look like in order to see how pro writers think. I also look at the camera shots to see if something cool or daring can be duplicated.

Ahh yes I <3 special features on DVD's. Any film that has em, I watch 'em.

I also like listening to the commentary. It helps a lot with understanding how they make the movie.

what could have been: jeffrey and the old man make some robots
                      art page -- tumblr --youtube
              bricksinmotion's #13th best curmudgeon

Just Kidden wrote:

I also like listening to the commentary. It helps a lot with understanding how they make the movie.

I listened to the commentary on the newer version of "Pride and Prejudice" once - possibly because I found it more bearable than what was actually happening. No, no - I'm kidding. There were a lot of good ideas in the film. Anyway, the director is criticizing some of the scenes. His commentary sounds something like this:

"Hmm.... this sequence is all a bit bland. It needs some more interest in the angles. Mm... the CG here doesn't really sell the shot. Ooh - that shot was good. No, this one has some strange issues with the movement...."

It was hilarious, but also insightful.

- Leo

I never exactly 'study' a film, although whenever I watch a movie I seem to keep an eye out for visuals and such  ...

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

I love studying and observing films, especially in recent years. Really, I find few things more fulfilling than having an intelligent discussion with someone about movies in general or a particular film, especially about ones as thought-provoking as 2001, No Country for Old Men, or There Will Be Blood

I received a copy of Roger Ebert's "The Great Movies" for Christmas last year, and it has, for the most part, been very fascinating.