Topic: Working with "Green Screen" and Lego. Good or bad idea?

I've resorted to use more green screen in my animations and this is how it turned out, is this a good or bad idea? Does anybody have any tips?

https://youtu.be/njxAMzTiZpE

//VPLO STUDIOS

VPLO STUDIOS

Re: Working with "Green Screen" and Lego. Good or bad idea?

I think it turned out really well. Green screening in brick filming is always a difficult task because of the required close proximity of the background to the set, which often causes spill. Lighting is the most important aspect to avoiding this. If you can pull it off, this is a great way to adding backgrounds behind your other in set backgrounds, but I find it rarely looks real, even if done well, as the only background. The depth doesn’t tend look natural.

Green screen as a concept is fine, imo. I think it's execution that often makes it "a bad idea." A lot of depth is often lost. Things are in focus, or just jarring. Lacking depth, lacking camera lens bend. And especially lacking lighting. Problem with small scale green screen production is that you have to light things evenly to get a good screen. But that makes the whole scene visually disinteresting. Motion is cool, but it just gets messy and busy with all the same lighting.

It's got potential, but I'd encourage you to try to play with lighting and depth and using references from real movies or other brickfilms to get an idea of the best practices for a good picture, even before lots of moving parts.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I agree with rio. Here is a bluescreen composite i did a while ago: https://youtu.be/6vp2LKPYWPE

I think that for certain types of shots it could kind of work. Then again, lighting is tricky and more restricted when taking the greenscreen into account. I'd say try to make everything in-camera, as much as possible.

Last edited by raytistic (December 7, 2020 (05:46am))

How do you deal with the green reflection problem?

-

Green screens are tricky because LEGOs are so reflective, but a couple of general tips:

- Move the greenscreen as far away from the objects as possible, put several feet between the background and foreground if you can manage it.
- Set up a backlight to light the objects from behind a bit, this will help outline them more.
- Light the green screen separately and evenly.

What several resourceful brickfilmers have done is to simply have a screen such as a computer or phone be whatever background you need, to put the image up and animate in camera.

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

There's a lot of good tips here. I've messed around with green screening a little bit, and I definitely think having a backlight for the subject and a separate light for the green screen helps a lot. One thing some people have done is use a computer screen with a green image pulled up, since it evenly lights itself.