Topic: DE WANNA WANGA - A Star Wars Stop Motion Animated Short Film

DE WANNA WANGA

A stormtrooper's boring shift takes a turn for the worst...or does it?

Made using a tremendously rigid Hasbro 3 3/4-inch figurine and a few sheets of plywood.

Re: DE WANNA WANGA - A Star Wars Stop Motion Animated Short Film

This is the first film I've ever seen of yours. I'm somewhat ashamed to say the reason I clicked is because "De wanna wanga" is probably one of the most iconic lines in Star Wars. Anyhow, you're animation is very impressive, especially at a scale that large. The head movements and twists of the wrists were very well done. On a subtle scale as well. I thought the casual shooting at the cube was very humorous and well done.

One gripe I did have was that I thought the shot of the walk from the waist above seemed a bit cartoony. Which isn't inherently bad, but it didn't seem to flow with the rest of the videos style.

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Re: DE WANNA WANGA - A Star Wars Stop Motion Animated Short Film

Blandeer wrote:

This is the first film I've ever seen of yours. I'm somewhat ashamed to say the reason I clicked is because "De wanna wanga" is probably one of the most iconic lines in Star Wars. Anyhow, you're animation is very impressive, especially at a scale that large. The head movements and twists of the wrists were very well done. On a subtle scale as well. I thought the casual shooting at the cube was very humorous and well done.

One gripe I did have was that I thought the shot of the walk from the waist above seemed a bit cartoony. Which isn't inherently bad, but it didn't seem to flow with the rest of the videos style.

Haha! The whole idea of this short was based off a friend of mine's humourous take on the Star Wars EU, in particular the insane amount of YouTube video theories that cover such content. He thought Bib Fortuna was such a laugh, and so the simple phrase "De wanna wanga" became an inside joke, which later (over a year to be exact) turned into this.

100% agree with your critique of the walking shot. The reason for this was because of how much limited movement these action-figures have, so to simply make it walk in a normal sense seemed to be a mission and a half to accomplish, and I did try but it just did not look right. The end result was always going to look off, but I wanted to counteract it as best I could by trying to make the movements in other areas of the take as smooth as possible.

Thanks for the reply Blandeer, really appreciate it!