Topic: What aspect ratio should I take my images in

I was just wondering if I should take my images in 3:2 or 16:9. I use a dslr too

Re: What aspect ratio should I take my images in

I'd recommend 19:9 since it's the standard for film. You could try 4:3 if you like the look, since it was popular on televisions pre-widescreen TVs. A lot of movies are shot in 2.39:1, which is a super wide screen aspect ration. In the end, it's up to you and what platform you plan to publish on and what you want things to look like.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

I'd recommend 19:9 since it's the standard for film. You could try 4:3 if you like the look, since it was popular on televisions pre-widescreen TVs. A lot of movies are shot in 2.39:1, which is a super wide screen aspect ration. In the end, it's up to you and what platform you plan to publish on and what you want things to look like.

Do you mean 16:9 or is 19:9 just a different ratio

I'm sorry, I mis-typed. I meant 16:9.

YouTubeWebsite

Boost wrote:

I was just wondering if I should take my images in 3:2 or 16:9. I use a dslr too

I shoot my images in the standard 16:9 image format, but sometimes if I want it to be widescreen and more cinematic I will change it to 2.35:1. I prefer 2.35:1 over 2.39:1 because It's a little less wider, just know if you want that look, have your project settings at the aspect ratio you want them in, don't just add black bars. Hope this helps!

Last edited by Owen Garcia (August 20, 2020 (08:23am))

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

16:9 is standard for where your film is most likely to be watched. I'd stick with that.

What software are you using to capture via the dSLR? Or are you taking the photos directly with the camera?

If  you do want 2.4:1, and you are shooting directly with the camera, you will have to add letterboxing in post. You need to plan for this. If your camera doesn't allow you to change the aspect ratio, you can simply put tape on the top an bottom of the screen, so you can see what your image will look like once you're finished!

You can always shoot bigger frames and crop them, but the reverse is not possible (or you will lose quality).
I suggest you shoot in 3:2 or 4:3 then cut it to 16:9. By doing this, you always have a room for editing; you could rotate the picture or move it up & down.
This image from photographylife will give you a clearer understanfing:
https://photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Aspect-Ratios.jpg
When doing this, watch out for the composition! Dragonframe has masking tools that let you see where areas will be cropped out of sight when changing aspect ratio.

YouTube is 16:9, so stick with that unless you want your film to have a weird look for some reason.

YouTube | Brick-a-Brack | Vimeo

2 Timothy 3:16-17

Bros with da Legos wrote:

YouTube is 16:9, so stick with that unless you want your film to have a weird look for some reason.

If you use it right it won't look weird.

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Yeah, YouTube doesn't really care what aspect ratio you shoot in. Unless you're letterboxing or pillarboxing (which is adding black bars to the top or sides of your video yourself), then you should be fine.

In fact, YouTube on mobile even is beginning to favor square and vertical videos.

YouTubeWebsite