Topic: Cheap background ideas

I am trying to buy some equipment for my 10 year old nephew for his birthday, so he could perfect his hobby lego films. His current equipment is quite basic so far; a cellphone and his lego games. mini/smile
I found a great tripod for him and I am now looking for some background ideas. If you have any ideas, please help! It doesn't need to be some super fancy background equipment, any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Re: Cheap background ideas

Something easy is to just use blue paper or painted backdrops, that’s what I do.

Hi Ziana,

What a great idea for gifts to your nephew! I would recommend coloured sheets of cardboard paper: blue, green, grey and black are the most versatile colours, but other colours like red or orange might also come in handy. You might be able to find some more fancy backdrops with city buildings, but it might be hard to find something compatible with the LEGO scale.

If you feel that cardboard paper sheets are a bit simple, you might want to buy your nephew some sticky tack/Blu-Tak to go with it; it's a pretty valuable commodity to have for stop motion animation.

One thing people really overlook is simply printing some images off the internet.

Thank you all for your replies! They are all wonderful ideas!
I will definitely get some colored cardboard, and if I can find some affordable backdrops. Blu-tak is a great tip too as well as printing some images from the internet! Thank you again! I will shop around for the little guy mini/smile

Something that I wish I had when I started brickfilming is a helping hand, they are great for holding up minifigures if you want them to fly, holding up backdrops, and much more! You can get them at harbor freight, amazon, and other hardware stores. They are pretty cheap too!
helping hands on amazon

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Ziana wrote:

I am trying to buy some equipment for my 10 year old nephew for his birthday, so he could perfect his hobby lego films. His current equipment is quite basic so far; a cellphone and his lego games. mini/smile
I found a great tripod for him and I am now looking for some background ideas. If you have any ideas, please help! It doesn't need to be some super fancy background equipment, any ideas are welcome. Thank you!

Maybe a green screen because then you can user any background! Or you could buy some coloured card and draw on it or decorate it.