Topic: Strange Flicker Problem

I’ve been having this strange flicker problem ever since I started using an iPhone connected to an iPad. I use Stop Motion Studio Pro, and for a while I had exposure on auto, but even now that I’ve changed it to manual I still seem to be getting it every once and a while. Here’s some clips with the flicker: https://youtu.be/g6m2zN5cCaM (these are some clips of my current project in the making, please don’t share them, thanks!) I’m thinking it might be a glitch with the stop motion program itself, and I would like to stop it before my next animation. I’m also thinking of buying a Logitech C920 to use for future brickfilms, don’t know if that will change the flicker. Thanks!

Re: Strange Flicker Problem

JuiceBoxStudios wrote:

I’ve been having this strange flicker problem ever since I started using an iPhone connected to an iPad. I use Stop Motion Studio Pro, and for a while I had exposure on auto, but even now that I’ve changed it to manual I still seem to be getting it every once and a while. Here’s some clips with the flicker: https://youtu.be/g6m2zN5cCaM (these are some clips of my current project in the making, please don’t share them, thanks!) I’m thinking it might be a glitch with the stop motion program itself, and I would like to stop it before my next animation. I’m also thinking of buying a Logitech C920 to use for future brickfilms, don’t know if that will change the flicker. Thanks!

That’s some very strange looking flicker. Are you letting any natural light in? That might be the problem.

JuiceBoxStudios wrote:

By flicker do you mean the bars passing the screen?
To fix that just change the shutter speed until it stops happening, then change the ISO/exposure to keep the brightness level you want.

Last edited by Owen Garcia (August 8, 2020 (09:32am))

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Okay, thanks! mini/smile I hadn’t ever edited those options before, but hopefully that should help! It’s to bad that I didn’t fix it beforehand... mini/sad

Yep, 2x4 is right. That's what we call "banding" around here. It's usually due to shutter speed/exposure or LED lights on-set... or both. Hopefully you got it solved! Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to remove the banding in post-production...

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks for your advice! It seems to be working... although I’m still trying to figure it out.

JuiceBoxStudios wrote:

Thanks for your advice! It seems to be working... although I’m still trying to figure it out.

I'm glad it's working! mini/smile

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Just wondering, is there a “one way fixes all” that works for most shots? Or do you have to edit these options each time? I’m just kind of frustrated because I’m trying to figure out these options while I’m animating, and because I have a deadline I don’t really have time to reshoot, causing some shoots to be not very good quality at all... mini/twitch

JuiceBoxStudios wrote:

Just wondering, is there a “one way fixes all” that works for most shots? Or do you have to edit these options each time? I’m just kind of frustrated because I’m trying to figure out these options while I’m animating, and because I have a deadline I don’t really have time to reshoot, causing some shoots to be not very good quality at all... mini/twitch

You will probably have to change the settings for every shot, and if you are gonna use the same shot later you might want to write down your settings. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to remove banding in post.

Thanks! It seems that if you add 1-5% video grain to those shots it will remove most of the banding. I use 2 LED lamps for my lighting, and it seems keeping your shutter speed around 1/50th of a second stops it. Hopefully these will work!

Last edited by JuiceBoxStudios (August 21, 2020 (08:46am))