Topic: Final Instalment of my Dragonslayer Trilogy

This is the production log for the third and final instalment of my Dragonslayer Trilogy. The first two brickfilms can be found here:

Dragonslayer Playlist - YouTube

I initially wrote the scripts for the entire trilogy in one go at the start of 2018. Since then, I've made small updates to each one here or there and by July 2020 there had been two major rewrites of the script for this final chapter. I'm happy with it now, so it's full steam ahead with production!

Re: Final Instalment of my Dragonslayer Trilogy

Below is the storyboard for the first scene:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50225283861_331695241b_z.jpg

By the end of July, most of the voice recordings were completed for the following characters:
Roger, the Ninja Master, the Queen, Robin and the four characters that I voice.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50225304271_418813fbb6_z.jpg

At the start of August I moved into my new flat at uni. I took sets for four of the scenes as well as my animation equipment with me so that I can animate here for a month before changing out the scenes.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50225535842_99635fca83_z.jpg

Although I'm making good progress, the total runtime will likely be around 15 minutes long. It's likely to take many months to complete, so we're probably looking at a summer 2021 release. It depends how much I get done this summer before term starts and how busy I am during term time. Worst case scenario I reckon it should be done by September 2021.

Hopefully I'll continue to add regular (spoiler free) updates between now and then!

Cool! Can't wait until it's finished!

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Oohh looks legit! I checked out the other parts of the trilogy too, and I must say I'm looking forward to following this production!

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I haven't had time yet to watch your previous installments but the images look great. I love the storyboard in particular - those are really underappreciated in the production process.

I'm noticing a lot of minifig heads in front of your laptop in that last picture - are you planning to do anything with lip syncing or different facial expressions in your film?

BertL wrote:

I haven't had time yet to watch your previous installments but the images look great. I love the storyboard in particular - those are really underappreciated in the production process.

I'm noticing a lot of minifig heads in front of your laptop in that last picture - are you planning to do anything with lip syncing or different facial expressions in your film?

Yes to both! The heads you saw in the photo will be used for different facial expressions. As for lip sync, that's something I do exclusively in After Effects. If you get a chance to check out my previous instalments (or this quick trailer here, you can see the technique used a lot.

I've blitzed the first month of animating and have completed frame capture for 1/3rd of all scenes. I've also done most of the VFX for these scenes in After Effects.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50375205398_66b0a96a93_z.jpg

Having gone home for a week I've changed out the sets and am ready to start the next stage of animation. From now until the Christmas break I'll be working on the climax of the film.

So far I'm very happy with the way animation is going. My technique has improved so much over the last few years and it's so rewarding to see everything come together in this one. The major issues I used to have with green screens have been resolved, I'm pretty happy with my mouth animation and my lighting is a little less bland and flat than it used to be!

I'm looking forward to hopefully sharing a trailer at Christmas mini/smile

Awesome! Question, what camera do you use?

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

2x4 studios wrote:

Awesome! Question, what camera do you use?

I use a Canon EOS 550D with an 18-55mm lens. I also have some macro lens filters which I used for some shots in Heir to the Kingdom (for example when Roger and the Princess first start talking to each other).

Wow the set design looks incredible. Can’t wait to see this!

Well it's been a crazy (academic) year so far. My goal now is to finish this film by the end of 2021, which should be very relaxed and allow me to focus on my studies plus some wiggle room for when the aliens invade and further disrupt things.

So far I reckon I’ve animated about 40% of the film including VFX and by Easter should have completed most of the action scenes. Maybe I’ll make a trailer then. In the meantime here's another set photo I took before the holidays. This was shooting the climactic joust which makes up the first part of the end of the film.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50865527883_4e4730f441_k.jpg

I went home for Christmas and stayed until March, which was longer than anticipated. While I was there I deconstructed some finished sets and shot a scene in the dungeons (below) with what little kit I brought with me.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51220025248_1e408860c4_k.jpg

I've been back at uni since and progress has been slow for two reasons: I've been focusing on end of year exams and I started to feel a bit burnt out with the project. In all fairness I've been going at this trilogy since 2018. However, now that exams are mostly done I've picked up the pace and am really starting to get back into it. I've finally finished animating the climactic fight (after around a total of 30 hours of work) and it's looking sweet mini/smile

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51219819976_34630e39c1_k.jpg

Awesome!

"Whatever that thing AquaMorph said about french kissing that's always in people's signature"
Married? Solder you balls now.

Looking great, dude. I'm happy to hear that you found your groove back. An intense hobby like brickfilming can really take a backseat when real life gets in the way, lol.

I'm on the home stretch now! There are just a couple of scenes left to animate in the middle section of the film. Then editing, sound design and music.

On the one hand, it could take a while because I'm working full time for the next two months. On the other, VFX and editing could be really fast because I have a new laptop! This enabled me to make a quick trailer in just a few hours. Either way I'm aiming for a September release.

Looking awesome. I'm hyped.

Well I said September but third year hit me like a brick wall. Today I finally finished editing and published (privately) to YouTube! I'll release it publicly tomorrow after premiering it with a few friends.

Although it's finished there are still a few changes I would have liked to make here or there. All the essential shots, sound design and music are in there. Sometimes you just need to wrap up a project once it reaches an acceptable stage. It's true that art is never really finished...