Topic: Face/Mouth Animation

I want to do full face animation for a film.
Fell free to tell us any tips/tricks
And if you do face/mouth animation please tell how you do it and what you use.
Thanks! mini/bigsmile

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

Re: Face/Mouth Animation

From my experience, the only way to do this for free is to bloat the pre-existing mouth creating the illusion of movement. This can be a problem, however, for faces with expressions or open mouths. So the only way to be able to do mouth animation for every face is true animated lip sync, which is what I’ve always preferred anyway. After years of tirelessly trying to create this effect with an endless amount of programs and techniques, I came to the revelation that there is just simply no way to create this effect without Adobe After effects. The modern Creative Cloud version of this program is a $20 a month subscription, but the older, standalone Create Suite edition is available on Ebay for about $120. I finally broke down and bought it, and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. There’s a number of tutorials on the internet on how to create this effect in AE, every person having there own method. I kind of created my own method with the help of these tutorials, but it was a major project. Before you get too caught up in mouth animation, though, I would recommend continuing to improve your craft as a brickfilmer. Mouth animation doesn’t make a good movie. Sure, it can make a good movie even cooler, but it can’t make a poor movie enjoyable. If you’d like more information on this though, you’re welcome to PM me about it.

Last edited by Brickman (January 15, 2021 (06:00am))

Brickman wrote:

From my experience, the only way to do this for free is to bloat the pre-existing mouth creating the illusion of movement. This can be a problem, however, for faces with expressions or open mouths. So the only way to be able to do mouth animation for every face is true animated lip sync, which is what I’ve always preferred anyway. After years of tirelessly trying to create this effect with and endless amount of programs an techniques, I came to the revelation that there is just simply no way to create this effect without Adobe After effects. The modern Creative Cloud version of this program is a $20 a month subscription, but the older, standalone Create Suite edition is available on Ebay for about $120. I finally broke down and bought it, and it’s the best decision I’ve ever made. There’s a number of tutorials on the internet on how to create this effect in AE, every person having there own method. I kind of created my own method with the help of these tutorial, but it was a major project. Before you get to caught up in mouth animation, though, I would recommend continuing to improve your craft as a brickfilmer. Mouth animation doesn’t make a good movie. Sure, it can make a good movie even cooler, but it can’t make a poor movie enjoyable. If you’d like more information on this though, you’re welcome to PM me about it.

So do you bloat the mouth or make them? Thanks!

"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb

I film all scenes that contain dialogue with blank faces and create exact digital replica faces for every character. I have many different face images, each with a different phoneme shape which I then create into a video over a green screen with Papagayo and GlueFace. This is then composited over the footage in AE and the green is keyed out. I can then match the video to the head with CC Cylinder and track the movement. It’s a very complicated process that couldn’t be fully explained here.

Brickman wrote:

I film all scenes that contain dialogue with blank faces and create exact digital replica faces for every character. I have many different face images, each with a different phoneme shape which I then create into a video over a green screen with Papagayo and GlueFace. This is then composited over the footage in AE and the green is keyed out. I can then match the video to the head with CC Cylinder and track the movement. It’s a very complicated process that couldn’t be fully explained here.

OK. It does sound like a lot. I started the mouth animation yesterday and I use hitfilm express to video edit and I don't even need another program.