Topic: Pick-a-Brick reduces prices, increases range

To start this topic by going off-topic, I was wondering earlier today if it was possible to re-create an old set from new bricks. Specifically, after looking through some of my old catalogues from the 90's, I was reminder of the 8880 Supercar from the Technic theme.

When it came out, I thought it was a massively awesome car and desperately wanted it. Of course, I couldn't get it as the price tag was quite high and my family kept wasting money on stupid things like food and paying bills. There are a number of these available from Bricklink as used, second-hand units. I figured that if I wanted one of these, I could buy one off Bricklink - but that would be the easy way out.

Since our motto around here is "do it the hard way", I thought about buying the parts new and building it from instructions. This would be particularly hard since many of the parts are no longer in production. But the beauty of these older sets is that many of the parts are just basic bricks - they are still available new.

So, to bring this topic back on-topic, I was looking at Pick-A-Brick from Shop@Home and noticed that the range of available bricks has jumped from 1,000 to 1,494. That's almost 50% more variety! There is also a note at the top of the page stating that their pricing structure has changed. It seems that the prices went up a fair bit recently due to the increased costs (plus the added cost of picking out all the bricks for individual orders).

Due to the sudden, unannounced increase, the sales of Pick-A-Brick sets must have gone down and the number of complaints must have gone up as (for an unspecified amount of time) they have dropped the prices again. Not all the way down, but it is pretty clear that this is temporary and that the prices will be going back up again soon.

So if you were planning on buying stuff from Pick-A-Brick, now would seem to be a good time to do it!

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

Re: Pick-a-Brick reduces prices, increases range

mini/jaw

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

The note Dr was talking about is this one:

Dear LEGO fans,

Based on all the feedback over the past week regarding our new Pick A Brick elements and pricing, we will reduce the pricing on LEGO Pick A Brick elements. There were good reasons behind our decision to raise prices of this relatively operationally complex Pick A Brick service. However, over the last week we have realised, thanks to you, that it was unacceptable to raise the prices so steeply without notice. We have acted quickly and have taken the decision to reduce the pricing on LEGO Pick A Brick elements. The prices cannot return to the original 2008 level but the increases are now very much smaller. We are pleased to now offer you the biggest, most comprehensive assortment ever including:

- More colours
- Most recent doors and windows are now available in PAB and MOD
- More longer beams to enable larger constructions
- More accessories (such as head dresses)
- More mini-figs (now with girl and child (short legs))
- More cool tires and rims

We hope that you enjoy your LEGO shopping experience.

Your LEGO team

I still think many bricks are way too expensive. =/ 27 cents for a 1x4 brick. Good thing we have Bricklink. <3

I jst want to buy in bulk, really, but I can't seem to find the bulk buying anymore.

meme
http://i.imgur.com/gMfjgiC.jpg

I read this on EuroBricks. I will probably buy some minifig torsoes from PaB soon.

Woah.

Lol you must've had some mega lag, Moo-C-J.

Lego should release packs of 100 bricks, but just of 1 kind instead of those packs with a variaty of blocks. E.g. 100 1x4 white bricks, 100 1x6 blue bricks, etc etc etc. Would probably cost them too much though. =/

Sweet Jesus.....thats ALOT of posts......

I agree. A pack of 100 tan bricks would be awesome!

-MRB

YouTube
Max, She/They

My computer was being really slow yesterday night after animating. mini/tongue