Topic: I am new to Brick Filming. Any tips you have for beginners?

I have always loved Lego and always dreamed of doing some type of stop motion. Well, here I am now and it's hard. Any cool tips or tricks you might have for beginner level creators?:/

Re: I am new to Brick Filming. Any tips you have for beginners?

To paraphrase Stephen King, "If you want to write a lot, you need to read a lot."

I think that can apply to just about any creative medium. The more of 'your craft' you consume, the more stuff's gonna rub off on you. Watching a lot of brickfilms always helps me out. Especially if you use the "." and "," keys to cycle frame-by-frame on a YouTube video.

I'd also recommend doing a lot of tests first. Sure, learning on the fly as you make your first film can work out sometimes, it's better to discover your strengths & weaknesses in some tests first, and then build upon them (and work around your flaws) in your films. Entering brickfilming contests can be great for this as well.

For absolute beginner level starters, though, I'd say look up some common animation cycles (like walk cycles) and test those out until you get the hang of it. Then go on from there.

Remember, you're only limited by your imagination! mini/smile

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I definitely agree with Dyland on tests, probably the biggest factor on my own animation improving was doing various no-plot tests/challenges.

Also if you run into a certain issue be willing to ask about it. And if someone gives a kind critique on something you've put out, think about it, you don't have to agree, but at least think about it.

END films wrote:

I definitely agree with Dyland on tests, probably the biggest factor on my own animation improving was doing various no-plot tests/challenges.

Also if you run into a certain issue be willing to ask about it. And if someone gives a kind critique on something you've put out, think about it, you don't have to agree, but at least think about it.

Thanks! I guess, back to the testing chamber. I've already done a few things like try out walk cycles and such but I can never get the hang of a smoot walk cycle, im not sure if it's my impatience of completing the scene or if I am just doing something wrong.

You could always share some of these tests in the WIPS and Tests forum and see what's suggested. Maybe someone can help you smooth out your animation through suggestions and constructive criticism.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

I think one of the biggest keys to a good stop motion is a good camer, as it can make bad animation good.

EPaul wrote:

I think one of the biggest keys to a good stop motion is a good camer, as it can make bad animation good.

I have to disagree with that. A good camera can't do anything to correct bad animation. If anything it's gonna make it more noticeable. Practice, patience, and learning from observing other brickfilms is the best way to get better at animation.

One of the most fun things I've done is to watch real life and movies and watch how people move and how physics work and try to break them down into frames in my head.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

yeah, my camera is awesome and i just need to work on my skills

rioforce wrote:
EPaul wrote:

I have to disagree with that. A good camera can't do anything to correct bad animation. If anything it's gonna make it more noticeable. Practice, patience, and learning from observing other brickfilms is the best way to get better at animation.

One of the most fun things I've done is to watch real life and movies and watch how people move and how physics work and try to break them down into frames in my head.

"Whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b
"There is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out." Russian Proverb