Topic: Removing pre-existing mouths for mouth animation

I’ve just stared using mouth animation in my latest film, and I’m pleased with the results of the mouth movements them selves. My biggest problems have been when it comes to removing the pre-existing mouth. The method I’ve been using is just copying a section from the face above the mouth, and pasting it over the mouth. It works in some scenes, but in others the results are sub-par. I know some people physically remove the mouth, but this is just not practical with every head. So I was wondering the most efficient way of removing the mouth digitally. Thanks!

Re: Removing pre-existing mouths for mouth animation

I think the best method is to make a face for tracking. basically it will just have three dots. Two for eyes and one for the mouth. The dots are pretty easy to remove in something like After Effects but they give you positional information that will make matching the position of the digital face much easier.

So you mean just animate with a blank face?

Animate it with a face that is blank minus the three dots. The larger the size of the area the harder things are to remove but you still want something to reference for the placement of where to put the digital face.

I see. Thanks, I’ll try that!