Topic: Questions that didn't merit a thread but need answers

This is mostly because I and I'm sure many others feel silly for posting questions as individual threads.

Sorry if this or an idea like this was already somewhere in the forums, if so please PM me a link to that post and delete this.  I didn't feel like checking all that meticulously because I'm using my tablet on vacation.

Re: Questions that didn't merit a thread but need answers

So, obviously I have a dumb question to start with.
Does BiM get any sort of "salesman" bonus if we use the links in the store section?

I doubt it.

I believe so. If you visit yummi burrito's "What camera should I use for stop-motion?" post in the equipment and software thread,
Dyland says this:

Dyland wrote:

If you want to get the c920 I'd recommend clicking this link (or going to the store section of BiM) as, it'll contribute to the website.

Does that answer your question?

Okay thanks, I think that's what I saw that made me question it.
Any other dumb questions out there?

Does anyone know how I can reduce noise in my brickfilms? By noise I mean image noise

Depends on the camera. For DSLRs there are number of settings that will help or hurt the amount of noise you get, but for webcams it usually comes down to lighting the set well and using the correct exposure.

Beyond camera settings, you can try frame averaging. That's when you take multiple images for every frame and then combine them- this results in the signal (the clean image) being amplified because it should stay fairly consistent across frames, and the noise being minimized because we expect it to be different from frame to frame. I would assume modern capture programs have settings to do this automatically, but don't quote me on that.

If you have a gain option (or ISO in a DSLR) turn it down (gain amplifies the signal, but also the noise) and control the image using other means, such as increasing exposure time (which shouldn't be a problem for stop-motion) or adding brighter light sources.

If you're interested in doing frame averaging manually and are capturing on twos (or more) in dragonframe, be sure that capture>shoot multiples as virtual holds is unchecked, as that uses the same image for the multiple frames, which defeats the purpose of frame averaging.

Last edited by thistof (November 19, 2018 (02:00am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png