Topic: The Brickfilms Wiki thread

For a while I have been holding off on creating a thread for the wiki until some important unfinished pages are completed, but a wiki is never finished so I think it's about time I stop waiting. You can use this thread to ask questions, make suggestions or report problems on the wiki. This thread will also be linked as the place to submit brickfilms considered missing. This thread might just end up being only me posting, but I want to provide updates in any case.

Before editing on the wiki, please see this page to see the formatting guidelines and wiki policies. My best advice for starting editing is to copy the code from an existing page and pasting it and changing the information to create a new page.

I also wanted a thread to share interesting pages as they are created. I most recently made pages on probably the two most notable feature-length brickfilms: Star Wars: The Great Disturbance and The Wars of Darkness.

I'd also like to draw attention to the brickfilming competitions and festivals category, as this is an area of brickfilming history that my brother and I have given particular attention and the category contains many fleshed-out pages. Another good page to see films from is the brickfilms by year category. I personally have mostly focused my attention on the earlier years, as plenty of the influential and classic brickfilms are becoming less known, and I want to make sure they are still readily available to find and view, especially if they aren't on YouTube.

Re: The Brickfilms Wiki thread

Today I have converted, combined and uploaded the ten parts of Jake Technic vs. Dr. Cyber by Thomas Foote, from 2001. This is still an impressive piece of work, and I think it remains the longest and most impressive brickfilm to primarily feature animated Technic figures, which from my own experience I can say is a time consuming and difficult process. If anyone knows of any other lengthy film with Technic figures, let me know.

Looks like the Vox video provided some traffic (these numbers are views from within the week):

http://i.imgur.com/iKH3Jtu.png

Nice! It's great that the wiki is getting some recognition.

I have finally finished the page on the first ever community project, Cleaning Time, including a lengthy Production section.

Finished two filmographies I've been putting off for the longest time due to size and being spread across multiple channels: forrestfire101 and filmyguy. If you know of any films I missed, let me know.

As the 'Brickfilms by language' category didn't really give an accurate view of what films were made where, I have added Brickfilms by country categories to all film pages. Take a look if you're interested, and let me know if I got anything wrong.

Brickfilms Wiki rocks! We used filmyguy for research on the soon to be released podcast with Sean. I didn't know about filmingnut channel before seeing it on the wiki. Thank you very much Penta (and others) for the work you put into the project.

Unfortunately, Captain Bulldog's YouTube channel has been automatically terminated, seemingly for no good reason. Fortunately, I downloaded everything on it a while back. I have changed all the links on his wiki page, and made individual pages for all of the films that were page-linked. Check it out here. Let me know if any links are incorrect or do not work.

Once I stop procrastinating, I'll figure out how to use Wikia and contribute to the wiki.

Would it be preferable to organize filmography alphabetically or by release order? Of course we'd still organize them initially by year, but within that, I noticed that there isn't much consistency between pages. Some have films listed in release order, others, such as my update to Mary Charles page, are alphabetical, and some are just random.

It's a bit of a minor pet peeve, I know. But I thought it was something I could easily contribute to the wiki in my free time. The Bricks in Motion filmography page organizes alphabetically within year, so I thought the wiki would as well. I was surprised when it didn't.

However, I don't want to mess up, say, pages such as Nathan Wells', where films are nicely in release order. Yet, it would be an absolute pain to look up every brickfilmer's individual film's (including lost ones) original release month/day and organize by that.

Again - pet peevish, but I'd like to see all pages remain consistent, even if in minor little things like that.

Thoughts?

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Maybe the Brick7 page is out of order because I didn't make it and I've been putting off fixing it up due to it being so much to keep track of, but I believe 99% of other filmographies are in exact release order. Keep in mind that the order they are uploaded in on YouTube is often not the original release order, especially for the older brickfilmers, who are much better represented on the wiki. It's funny that you said "it would be an absolute pain to look up every brickfilmer's individual film's (including lost ones) original release month/day and organize by that", because that's exactly what I did.

Penta wrote:

It's funny that you said "it would be an absolute pain to look up every brickfilmer's individual film's (including lost ones) original release month/day and organize by that", because that's exactly what I did.

Well more props to ya, Penta. You've gained my respect!

Thanks for clearing this up. I'm glad I didn't go and do this with any other pages, then.

When I wrote Brick7's page, I just followed the BiM filmography. I'm not exactly sure what the rhyme or reason for its arrangement beyond that of year is, but it strangely doesn't follow alphabetical or exact date ordering. Traditionally, we've arranged people's films by exact date. It's not that hard on some people like Brick7 because all her films are credited on BiM (and if they aren't they're most likely impossible to track down), it just takes a bit of effort. IMO, alphabetizing is far worse because it makes the filmography very confusing. That being said, if it's impossible to track a film's date, then that's a case-by-case thing, in which case I'd probably just put it in alphabetically.

(all that being said, i'm no wiki admin, these are just my two cents as a contributor mini/wink )

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I have finally gotten around to tackling the wiki page on LEGO Studios. This has been put off for, ahem, years, because it was always a quite daunting page. It should have been one of the flagship pages from the beginning, and now I believe it finally can be.

I've noticed a slight uptick in Wiki vandalism (unnecessary/offtopic information, misinformation, swearing, etc.) all coming from ''a Fandom user''s which I'm assuming are generic accounts or unregistered members? Anything we can do about it besides stay vigilant?

You can set it so that only registered users can make edits.

Big bump here because the Wiki is still here and now I've gotten my filthy hands all over it.

Earlier this week the Fandom overlords, where the Brickfilms Wiki is hosted, decided to update the design of the whole website (all wikis). However, this broke a lot of the layout of the website, such as links and colors. Rather than being all sour that they dared do this I think this could be a good opportunity to look at the formatting of the website and update it a bit. Throughout the years there's been a lot of changes to the look of the website, and some of the code has become a bit Frankensteinian.

Having dabbled in this sort of thing a bit (and being a meddling fool), I've taken it upon myself to help modernize the website a little, focusing mostly on the coding side of things. The layout doesn't need much messing around with, as it works fine (mostly). But to make the Wiki more compatible with and viewable for the mobile/app versions, some things (like the infoboxes and special tables/content boxes) really need an overhaul.

One thing I've done is create a new infobox for the Brickfilmer pages. It's fully backwards compatible (so no code on any brickfilmers' pages needs to be changed), and looks pretty much the same, but it should display much better/more natively on the Mobile and App versions of the Wiki. I've already implemented the change, but there may still be issues so feel free to look at many people's Wiki pages to see if there is anything going wrong with the images.

I used to read the latest updates everyday.  In the new version, I could not find the search for updates arranged by latest. I hope this make sense. mini/confused

Edit: I think this is what I was looking for https://brickfilms.fandom.com/wiki/Spec … lversion=2

Last edited by Robukka (October 20, 2021 (09:23am))