Topic: Serenity Now! - A Post to Vent Frustrations

In life we encounter many issues that seem to prevent us from enjoying ourselves. It is known that frustration, stress and anger are a breeding places for these troubles.

There is an effective way to prevent those troubles. To stop them from growing, or better yet, to not even have that stress and anger in the first place, that is, to just let it all out. Often times we take up hobbies or pastimes as a way to overcome stress: painting, music, movies, or for most of us animating.

But what do you do when your stress reliever starts causing stress? Well, that's just what this thread is for!

We've all had to endure the fickle art of stop motion. Losing pictures, bumping sets or tables, cameras dying, computers crashing. The list never ends, yet this pain is something that can bring us together Let out all your problems and issues that you've had to endure throughout your stop motion experience, be it happening now or years ago. It's always good to just let it out.

The goal of this thread is to let out frustrations in a way that releases that emotion while reaching out to a community that understands. Not only should you be posting your problems, but relating them to others in the thread and supporting your fellow animator-in-stress by offering possible solutions and thought out advice.

This post is dedicated to all those who have struggled, those that never gave up hope.
Be kind and be smart!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Last edited by Blandeer (January 13, 2018 (10:59am))

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Re: Serenity Now! - A Post to Vent Frustrations

I'll start:
For the past 7 months I have been working on a film that was originally planned for the BiM summer contest. My largest project yet, this was to be terrific! Half way through the summer my computer breaks down and I can't do anything! I get a new one at the start of November and continue taking pictures as I have been trying to do inbetween this time. All the while I'm wondering "why bother, nobodies going to watch it, it'll be bad anyhow, etc.". Recently I've been putting more effort into it only to find that out of the blue, half my photos have disappeared, my base computer doesn't have them, my back-ups are gone, my back-up back-ups are even missing! Now this film that was supposed to be done in 2 months has taken me 7, only to bring me back to month 4. Quite terrible, yet all I can do is laugh. Thank you!

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Oh man. I hear ya bud. While I haven't had loss as bad as that, I did recently reinstall windows and I missed copying some voice actor files that I had someone do over a year ago. They are gone. Fortunately he's my friend and he'll make time to re-do them.

My sympathies to you sir!

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

Just about two weeks after I started my youtube channel, my laptop crashed. And this was 2010, so, I wasn't to up on back up drives at the time.

Needless to say, I lost everything... everything but the pictures that were on the memory stick that came with my camera. Even then, I'd sometimes have to transfer files from the memory stick to my pc just to save on space and well... nowadays, I only have about 12 video files out of the dozens that I filmed.

This was especially hard on me since I kept thinking to myself: "if you had just uploaded those movies, they be on youtube for me to retrieve." But, I had to tough it out and move on.

The moral of the story is that I kept moving on. Although trying to redo that Johnny Thunder film project kept going nowhere, I eventually was able to push out a few shorts (2 THAC's, a BRAWL I almost finished in time, and the Celebrations contest video) and I began to turn my attention to other fields within brickfilming that have proved just as fun and engaging (voice acting, musical scores, producing & script help...)

Oh, and my house caught on fire in 2014 (December 31st to January 1st 2015, to be exact), but thankfully little to no personal possessions were destroyed (including my entire Lego collection). This time, though, if things had gone bad, I had a back-up drive which would have lightened the burden a bit.

Second moral: keep a back-up drive and save everything you can. That one film you're a little embarrassed about now? You may just want to watch it for old times sake a few years down the line... you never know.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png