Topic: LEGO Film Theory

While I'm animating, I like to have something in the background such as music or maybe a video on YouTube. Recently I have found myself listening/ watching film theory videos on YouTube.

I've also found that there isn't much theory within our community at all. There is praise for artists and acknowledgement of techniques but no real discussion about it. I feel this is an amazing part of film discussion and can be easily applied to our community.

I was wondering if anybody was interested in video essays concerning brickfilming, to help educate and give a new light towards our artistry.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53039755110_db54775cd9_w.jpg

Re: LEGO Film Theory

I've considered doing something like that before, and I'd love to see other people do it too.

"Of course I'm lucky, I'm a leprechaun!"-Fred the Leprechaun
I hope no one has realized I like emojjies mini/shifty

I've been regularly watching video essays for the past few months and would love to see some of the concepts from those sources applied to brickfilming.

Got Brickfilms if you want em'
Youtube Channel | Twitter | Insta

I'd really love to see more videos discussing the art of brickfilming, but here's some of what we have so far (the stuff I know about, at least). They aren't exactly video essays, but I think they're the closest thing I've seen.

I tried to sort it from most video essay-ish to least video essay-ish.

twickabrick wrote:

[*](SHAMELESS PLUG) my fairly dead review "series" 3 Many Brickfilms 5 Me[/*]

Awww, you're not continuing the series? That's a shame, I was really enjoying them! mini/sad

Oh well.

Anyway, speaking of Lego Film Theory, I have purchased some books on cinematography, set design etc. which I would highly recommend for those who want to get serious into that sort of stuff. They are 'The Visual Story' and 'Dream Worlds'. While they are not video essays, they are really good books that I recommend!

EDIT: I had also created this topic a while ago in the General Film Discussion thread, which had some sort of 'video essay' recommendations amongst other things, so i would suggest checking it out! mini/wink

Last edited by Dragon Brick Studios (November 25, 2017 (04:37am))

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

@Dragon Brick Studios: I didn't mean to say it isn't gonna continue, just that I haven't made a new episode in a while. I hopefully will be able to continue it in some form in the future, but right now I just haven't really made time for it.

As for video essays and books about the art of filmmaking in general (not just brickfilming), I think that stuff is all really great to apply to your brickfilms. For instance, one thing I kinda wanna make a video essay about is "The Kuleshov Effect in Brickfilming", because it's something that is really powerful when you're working with LEGO figurines whose faces (generally) can't move.

@twickabrick ah ok, good to know that that series could resurface again! mini/bigsmile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?