Topic: Where should I position my camera?

So I was wondering where I should position my camera during a time lapse build or stop motion. So I mount my camera on a tri-pod in front of me, and the legos are positioned in front of the camera. For me it's kind of awkward and uncomfortable to move a brick and come to the back of camera to take a picture, am i doing something wrong? Please give me some suggestions! Thank you!

P.S. I lay my bricks on the ground since my table is not big enough, am I supposed to do it on an elevated platform?

Last edited by Bacon Builder (August 21, 2017 (10:42pm))

Bacon rules the world!
My Youtube Channel

Re: Where should I position my camera?

It might help to get a remote camera as then you won't have to constantly go back to the camera to take a picture. They're pretty cheap (if I recall correctly), but obviously, make sure you get one that's not dodgy. You could try experimenting with different camera angles, but try to keep it in a 180-degree radius in front of the Lego (although I'm not sure if it would look great at a side angle, so it maybe more like a 45-135 degree radius.

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Re: Where should I position my camera?

Bacon Builder wrote:

P.S. I lay my bricks on the ground since my table is not big enough, am I supposed to do it on an elevated platform?

I'd definitely use an elevated platform, so that I could have my camera at the same level as the set. Otherwise you would be in constant high-angle shot, which gives the impression of shooting toys instead of really being in their world.
And that allows you to make low-angle shots when you need it, by putting the camera lower than the platform.