Re: Sets and Props Critique Thread

Excellent use of pieces  I really like the internal light.  It would be cool to see it in a brickfilm.
Perhaps with a high exposure you could really make the light shine.  That would be cool.

Thanks!

I randomly threw that together while making props for my current set (below), but it (unfortunately) didn't fit. mini/tongue

Here's a cheese factory.
I need to make the back wall taller (the plan is to have just black past the railing), but otherwise it's pretty much done (unless I get some sweet suggestions from you guys xD ). The plan is to have a quick fight in the open space here, so I don't want to clutter it too much.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag30/mightywanderer/ReBrick%20-%20Batman%20contest%202016/IMG_9230_zpspgiekcnf.jpg

Looks really cool! But maybe a little empty,  if you added a little bit more stuff by the back wall and also a pipe coming out of the cheese tub, and have some more stuff right in front of the camera so you could keep the fight area clear but still make it look full. But it looks really nice! You're the one shooting it so if this is what you're going for thats awesome! But if you think it needs something then you have a boat load of ideas!.......Maybe too many....... mini/eek

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, a cluttered fighting space could add to the film. I always like seeing characters interact with the environment by toppling a stack of crates or crushing a few barrels.

Of course, that's just a suggestion, the set looks great as is.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49566491787_1f24d954b6_o.jpg

Website  ✧  YouTube  ✧  Flickr  ✧  Soli Deo Gloria

I have a MOC which I will be using for an animation, so I was wondering of this would be the best place to put it? If not then I may try setting up a thread where people can post any MOCs, especially if they are going to use the MOC in an animation.

Let me know what you guys think mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

This is the right place to post your props, (film) sets, and other Lego creations and get feedback.
If you ever make a post in a thread that is unrelated, the site Mods will move them to the thread they belong in.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

Kd2000 wrote:

This is the right place to post your props, (film) sets, and other Lego creations and get feedback.
If you ever make a post in a thread that is unrelated, the site Mods will move them to the thread they belong in.

Ok thanks! I have made a 64x64 stud MOC which I am really proud of, so I will definitely post some pictures of it here soon! mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Lego Figure Productions wrote:
Kd2000 wrote:

Ok thanks! I have made a 64x64 stud MOC which I am really proud of, so I will definitely post some pictures of it here soon! mini/smile

Like Kd2000 said, this is the right place to post ... and get feedback. If you want feedback on your MOC, then I do believe that this is exactly where you should post it. If, on the other hand, you are looking mainly to show off what you built (and not get feedback), then a topic such as this might be better suited for the post. Either way, it is great seeing what others have built. mini/smile

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

Here is a link to the MOC, I would love to get some feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAQ_KotVo8&t=61s

P.S. Some of the pictures seem to be a bit blurry mini/confused  I'm sure they were not like that when I posted the video though but maybe I'm just blind mini/dizzy

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Here is a link to the MOC, I would love to get some feedback!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHAQ_KotVo8&t=61s

It's really neat!  I like the great variety of locations available on your set!  (indoor/outdoor trees/tavern/hallways)

I agree some parts of some of the photos are blurry, BUT some parts of each photo were in focus!  It is a neat effect to give depth of focus, but if that is not what you'd like, I do not know how to fix it.

Thanks for the feedback! The indoor part was a last minute addition (hence why the walls were plain - and also because I had run out of the bricks I had used in the main walls mini/tongue) as since I was planning to recreate the main battle scene in brickfilm form, I thought it would be worth doing the inside so that I could film the part of TFA where Han, Rey, Finn, Chewbacca walk into the castle before smashing it up for the main part of the brickfilm mini/lol

I think my next MOC (at least for Star Wars) is going to be Jedha/Scarif (I could probably do it having recently just splashed out on the new battlepacks), but that is probably going to be a long time (I think I might try using kinetic sand for Jedha & Scarif)?

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

So I'm currently in pre production for a music video copying slightly inspired by Dylan Woodley's Foster the People  brickfilm.

As you can see below, I've completed the bulk of the stage set. I have two main questions:

1. What could I change to improve the set?

2. How in the world could I integrate Brickstuff lights into it? I plan to have a dim light and reflector to create a base lighting level, have a lamp shining through the openings in the back of the set, and then use my pico led's to light each individual performer (guitarist on left, three singers in middle, piano on right, and drummer in the back). I also have no idea how to make this work...

http://bricksafe.com/files/FeinsteinFilms/o-sole-mio/IMG_8966.JPG

Thanks!

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I'm way below your level of animation skills so everything I can say is WOW it's awesome.

It really depends on what you're trying to do, Feinstein. The lighting should be dictated by the mood you want to convey. Lighting is always there for a reason, not just because it wants to be. Whether it looks cool, or it means something, the lighting needs to be intentional. So think about where you point the lights. Putting them on the sides of the faces is cool, butting them behind makes a neat rim light and silhouette, putting them in front the stage can cause cool lens flares and light from the bottom (which can often make them look menacing).

I'd say try to put a lot of colored lights on your set to give it a cool look. Also, look for real life lighting scenes to match your mood and song. If it's a swanky pub band or a big shot concert, look those up and try to mimic those.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Thanks for the response - I'll definitely consider adding more variety to the light colors. Basically, I want to use the mini led's to highlight the individual performers. This shouldn't be to difficult for the singers in the front, but I'm just not sure how to get the lights close enough to make an impact but still stay hidden on the other performers, particularly the pianist and the drummer.

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

I built a war vehicle for a film that I'm planning -
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--8C_sNiXKf4/Wbu8ratdBPI/AAAAAAAABpQ/5p13H7l8CLYhfsF5ihL0IMj5hdmjPjMnwCL0BGAs/w530-d-h298-n-rw/WIN_20170915_14_35_32_Pro.jpg

I didn't design the front because this vehicle appears only in one scene, and that is in the position showed below -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-s78c5Y7e_60/Wbu8wNjAvSI/AAAAAAAABpk/8yQteb6Afrwv8V1z3hDtpY3_JCJ1CjDZACL0BGAs/w530-d-h298-n-rw/WIN_20170915_14_35_43_Pro.jpg
It will be used to transport soldiers, so imagine it full of soldiers. Any advise/comment would be appreciated. mini/smile

Last edited by raytistic (September 15, 2017 (04:50am))

Honestly? It looks like a stripped-down ice cream van. Troop transports are a lot better armoured than this, with good reason. Hey, it's just my opinion. I try not to say anything unless people ask...

Well, this is a critique thread, so here we go.

When I first looked at it, I had no idea what is was, or even what it was supposed to be. My first thought was that it simply was just a pile of random bricks stacked on the base of a real Lego model.

It lacks definition and purpose. It's kinda just a box on wheels, and no a very pretty one at that.

I suggest finding a troop transport vehicle that you like and modeling it a bit more off of that. Even if it doesn't look the same in the end, having a clear model in mind helps a ton in the design process.

It can be boxy without being a straight up box. Try some angled bricks to give it a strong, aggressive military feel. Also, as has been said, a bit more armor would help. Maybe a plate that folds down as a ramp for the exiting soldiers would also be a nice touch.

In my opinion, troop transports tend to look shorter and wider, and are more military colored, with darker hues, grays and blacks. Tan works as a desert vehicle, but the tan is giving a more ice cream truck vibe than urban assault vehicle right now.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your comments. I rebuilt it entirely and here is the result -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lhCzhK8Om98/Wb0CiLtRA5I/AAAAAAAABq8/vHlNb2Toa0UJhrD8VLNjVroANH4lNwyQgCL0BGAs/w530-d-h298-n-rw/WIN_20170916_13_51_45_Pro.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-URRrO_MM958/Wb0CfYO-w5I/AAAAAAAABqo/QboLal2aPaI3EZSgoJOOdNVNAYVLRQPIgCL0BGAs/w530-d-h298-n-rw/WIN_20170916_13_51_25_Pro.jpg

BTW I am using Sluban minifigs, and they are surprisingly good.

An incredible improvement!
Fantastic job taking every piece of advice and running with it.
This new edition has a lovely chunkiness to it, and I love the gun and ladder. Much better!

This right here is why this thread exists.