Topic: When would you like BRAWL and the Summer contest to take place?

In previous years, the BRAWL contest (Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long) took place sometime in June or July. In years without an official summer contest from Bricks in Motion, this wasn't a problem. But in the last two years, official Bricks in Motion summer contests have returned, and typically take place from June 1st to August 31st. This resulted in BRAWL overlapping the summer contest. For some people, this isn't a problem, because they either only enter BRAWL or the summer contest. However, for others who want to enter both contests, this can be troublesome.

This year, Bricks in Motion welcomes BRAWL as an official Bricks in Motion contest. Before we announce the BRAWL 2017 and the summer 2017, we want the feedback of the community.

Ideally, we would like to not have two contests running at the same time. However, this would require moving the summer contest to later in the summer.

Either,

BRAWL takes place in early June, and the summer contest runs from July 1st to October 31st

or

BRAWL takes place in June or July, while the summer contest runs at the same time from June 1st to August 31st

Please vote in the poll and discuss your reasons in the thread. The poll will run for two weeks.

Re: When would you like BRAWL and the Summer contest to take place?

I vote for the second option. It makes more sense.

Last edited by Alaberria (April 25, 2017 (10:15am))

I'm going to be busy working on another project until the end of May. If BRAWL took place in June, I would still be able to enter.

I vote for the second option - with Brawl in June or (preferably July). Mid May to mid June is exam season in the UK, making it virtually impossible for British students, such as myself, to make a brickfilm in a week. I was really hoping to enter BRAWL this year, but if it's in the first couple of weeks of June, then I and many others simply will not be able to.

Starting the summer contest at the start of June would be perfect for us students, because it would then incorporate 6+ weeks of the UK summer holiday, allowing for young British brickfilmers to participate in both contests as most of us would have plenty of time on our hands.

The first option says BRAWL in early June but after looking into holiday times, it would more likely be late June.

Yeah, late June or into July is much better for BRAWL imo. More settled into the summer and gives some lead in time to make some good progress on a summer contest film, so you are more likely to be at a good stopping point.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Personally, I like the summer contest ending around the start of school (late August/Early September) just after school starts. Also, I'm a bit biased since my birthday is at the end of August September, and it's the coolest slightly belated present ever to see the winning entries of the summer contest.

^ Yeah, that seems right.

Besides, I think leaving more time between the summer contest and THAC to be open for other, unofficial contests mini/wink  would be a good thing.

Since there hasn't been an Easter challenge in a while, why not (in the future, not this year of course - since it's too late) have BRAWL during Spring Break? Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Dyland (April 25, 2017 (10:43am))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Chiming in here from my own perspective.

I think it's a pretty bad idea to have two official BiM contests running at the same time. No matter what, they will distract from each other and ultimately will be poorer because of it. Personally I'd rather have no BRAWL at all if that meant it wasn't conflicting with the summer contest, but I know BRAWL is loved here and I want to keep it around.

I made an error when designing the poll. The summer contest would run from July 1st to September 30, not October 31. The summer contest should be about three months long, not four.

I think the summer contest running June - September allows for the most free time to work on the project. Same with BRAWL being in July, since it's likely to be a time when people can spare a week to work on a brickfilm, plus it provides a bit of a break for those who are making an entry for the summer contest.

Edit: I wrote this before reading what Nathan last posted. July 1 - September 30 seems like a reasonable amount of time for the summer contest since it gives people a good while over the summer do work on their film before school starts. Having BRAWL say around mid-June would be fine for me personally at least.

Last edited by AnimatorUnknown (April 24, 2017 (06:41pm))

I have never competed in BRAWL, because I've always found it inconvenient that it takes place during the Summer Contest, which is my personal favourite brickfilming contest. I only just made my Sight and Sound entry on time last year, and had I entered BRAWL, I probably wouldn't have made it. I really think it would be best for the community if both contests don't overlap each other. I would really like to compete in both, as I currently haven't had the chance.

I voted for the second option. preferably BRAWL could take place after June 20th? mini/smile It will be my first one!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I voted for the first option as I would like to enter the summer contest for the first time, but I am also involved in making an entry for BrickVideo Studio 'Spring Blossoms' competition - so timing  wise this works well for me personally ---  but I suppose we all just need to choose what contests we want to enter and just go for it! mini/smile

DNAnimation

I voted for the second option, as, for me, it's much easier to spend time on animation in the summer. Pushing it into September would give me less time to complete my entry, as I probably wouldn't work on it as much in the final month.

YouTube | Twitter | Brick à Brack | Discord @ Undershadow#9982
   -- If a frame were worth a dollar, I'd be a millionaire by now --

Despite being in the option 1 camp, I will say one thing - I usually like the routine of spending September working on my next big, non-contest brickfilm, hoping to then finish said project by the end of the year. I didn't manage to do that last year, as I spent most of September procrastinating and spent a good portion of October and November abroad. App Man Episode 4 took me from the September all the way into earlier this month. I don't really want to go into this loop of making one big brickfilm between the summer contest.

To be honest, I'm not that worried if I don't make BRAWL, as I do spend 3 days a week at work anyway, and the Summer Contest will always be my priority over that. To keep a really complicated and long story short, I'm sort of 51/49 on this. While I do consider myself a supporter of option No.1, I'm not going to be hugely that worried either way.

I voted for the first option because I'll be away from June 25th to July 1st and if BRAWL happens to fall on that week, I'll miss it. With the first option I would get to do BRAWL before I leave and the Summer contest would start the day I get back.

Last edited by Brickman (April 28, 2017 (12:59pm))

Tricky for me because I will be in Japan from about July 3rd to August 5th. Very hard to brickfilm on a plane mini/tongue  , and I really want to try my hand at a summer contest, so I voted to extend the deadline to October.

I voted for option #1.

This is because in NA exam season for students is usually sometime around the later of June, although it obviously varies for school and location. July 1st is also exactly when the summer holidays from school start. I've read the other comments and understand other peoples thoughts. Quite honestly it'll be hard to get both to work out so all people who want to participate can to their fullest ability.

Thanks for letting the community decide though and give their input. Whatever may come I wish you all the best of luck!

Yes, it's homemade, fresh from the toaster oven.

Talking about it in chat, I suggested a third possibility: Holding BRAWL from May 27 to June 3, and the summer contest from June 4 to around when it usually ends. This seems to me like it would allow the maximum amount of (North hemisphere) summer time for both. But I know that students' schedules vary around the world, so it's sort of a matter of what is the best overall compromise.

For what it's worth, I'm not really going to be involved in running these contests, so this is just a thought.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sounds like a good idea, better than the two other options!

Sméagol wrote:

third possibility: Holding BRAWL from May 27 to June 3, and the summer contest from June 4 to around when it usually ends.

I'm fully aware that the contest deadlines don' revolve around me, but I would like to ask if we could not go along with the third option, as while May 27th is the beginning of half term (at least where I live) I am going on holiday to Bermuda, leaving on May 27th (getting slightly nearer to all you lot in the US mini/tongue) and not returning until June 4th which would mean that the contest would be over. This is why it would be very preferable if BRAWL could be held after June 24th (giving time for people like me who have yet to start on their Spring Blossoms entry). As I said if it is better for most to go for the third option, then fine, but if the contests could be held roughly where I suggested then that would be great. Thanks mini/yes

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?