Topic: In-Production Special Effects

I'm going to start doing more in-production special effects such as brick-built waves instead of digital water, brick-built explosions, etc. I know this is very time consuming and difficult, but I think it looks better than a lot of digital effects. (Don't get me wrong, though. Digital effects have their place.) I know the most important way of learning how to do this is practicing, but does anyone who has experience in doing this have any suggestions? Thanks.

-Brickman

Last edited by Brickman (February 3, 2020 (10:00am))

Re: In-Production Special Effects

I think it helps to have a lot of lights,  Small little flash lights that can fit onto a set.

it you want to make an explosion, make a cluster of orange bricks, and put a flashlight in its centere.  It really makes it glow and feel much more powerful.

Thank you squid. I'll try that suggestion.

Check this out. It has a few ideas.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

I have used brick based effects but simplified things by looping the effects in After Effects, they could also theoretically be looped in free programs like Hitfilms. But in Beyond The Eleventh Dimension at 3:13 I have waves on a beach which I animated in a separate pass from the minifigs, but I just looped the wave animation over the walk animations so I only animated 5 waves which I looped a few times while the two minifigs walked along the beach. There are a lot of little shortcuts you can use like that to have that brick built look without adding to much extra work.