Topic: Starting with a DSLR

Hello all, I recently got my first proper DSLR (a Canon T6S) and I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to use this camera in regards to stop-motion animation. My main issue is that I have no clue how to smoothly keep my minifigure in focus while it walks toward the camera and I'm not sure if my lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm) work well enough on their own. Should I go ahead and buy an F adapter and the 55mm Micro-Nikkor lens recommended here or continue to use my current lenses?

Ultimately, I believe my problem is that I don't understand enough about my current equipment and need some sort of instruction on how to use a DSLR for stop-motion, thanks.

-Formal Lens

Got Brickfilms if you want em'
Youtube Channel | Twitter | Insta

Re: Starting with a DSLR

You should always be in manual focus while shooting. Make sure this is switched on on the lense. So is it that you don't know how to keep your subject/figure in sharp focus?

GHB wrote:

So is it that you don't know how to keep your subject/figure in sharp focus?

I have issues following focus, I'm mainly asking what sort of tips anyone might have while working with a DSLR for stop-motion.

Got Brickfilms if you want em'
Youtube Channel | Twitter | Insta

Do you have Dragonframe? It's going to be really hard to pull focus without being able to see a large live feed from your camera. One issue with non-macro modern lenses is they don't have much throw when focusing which makes it hard to smoothly pull focus, the Nikor 55mm macro has a lot of throw which makes it easier to manually pull focus at the scale we work at. I also try to plan out focas pulls and use white tape to mark where on the lens I need to pull to. You can see an example of that.  here

But if your trying to do it without a live view, uh good luck, expect it to be unnecessarily difficult to do it well. You might try using your cameras HDMI out to get a larger view on a TV if you don't have Dragonframe, but at that point I feel like you'd be better off with a C920 webcamera and a free framegrabber.

Have you tried using the digital zoom feature to check the focus? Thats what I do for video. I also made a long swing arm lego thing to help pull focus cause of shake but thats a different subject.....

Hope that helps.
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube