Topic: Split in parts?

I'm working on a script at the moment for a next video I'm doing and it looks like it might be around 8 mins and im thinking should I split in part 1 and 2 or should I leave it all in one video? Because when I see a brickfilm longer than 5 mins, I usually don't watch it but when it's in parts I do for some reason. I'm not sure if its just me but yeah. What you guys think?

Re: Split in parts?

The thing with long videos is this: if they don't hold the audience's attention, they won't be watched all the way through.

A trick with long videos that aren't interesting all the way through (I see a lot of people do this) is to split the video up (as you said). This makes it where if they are interested enough, they can watch the other part. They most likely will if the parts are released all at once.

But the way I like to do it (that is, if I did it) is to make the video interesting throughout that it holds the audience's attention all the way through so it won't need to be done in parts. Of course, there's no guarantee that the viewers' attention spans will be long enough, or that they have the time to watch a longer film.

I do know that a lot of times I am scared off from watching videos because of the length of the video. I'll typically allot about 5-ish minutes max per video if I'm just surfing youtube (unless it's from one of my favorite creators), but anything longer, I'll procrastinate watching until I have the time.

So, TL;DR, splitting it is a good idea if the video can be logically split up. If it's going to be a 5.5 minute part and a 2.5 minute part, that's not logical even if the storyline allows it to be split there. So the best advice I can give in that case is to just go with one part and make it interesting enough to hold the attention of people.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm all for making long films that are around 8-9 minutes long. I don't think it's a good idea to split an 8-minute long film, if it's intended to be one film originally. My way of thinking of it is if you have an 8 or 9 minute long film, as much should happen in that time as in an hour and a half long movie. Have a proper narrative with three acts, and develop your characters in that time so that you get to be on the journey with them. I actually prefer longer brick films, if it's a well written and well structured story, like the French brick film 'Copyright' or Doug Vandergrift's 'Pirates'.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the above: it's all about the structure. If your 9 minute movie has a good beginning, middle and end, you would be hurting it by chopping it in half. However, if you wanted that story to be told over the course of two videos to lessen the time intimidation factor, then maybe re-plot everything so both movies have their own beginnings, middle and end.

Personally, I try to never let the viewing habits of the average YouTube user influence my work. If a film needs to be 8 minutes to tell the story you want to tell, then make an 8 minute film. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I make films because I want to make them, not because I want a big audience on YouTube. In my opinion, you should choose whatever structure best fits your story.

P.S. I personally get excited about longer brickfilms, they're so few and far between.

8 minutes is kind of short to split a video.  My advice is to make the video as interesting to watch as posisble. I personally enjoy watching the longer brickfilms.  But that's just me.  I also think brickfilms, whether or not they're broken up, should be the length needed to tell the story.

I make 25 minute videos and don't break them up.

And let's not forget that the 20+ minute video, "That's The Way It goes", was watched and loved by all!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."