Re: Logitech C920 Users

Hi everyone (I posted here since I don't yet have permission to start new threads),
I've been using a c920 for several years now, and only recently have encountered a problem. Horizontal dark bars are appearing across the picture that move between frames. If that doesn't make any sense, here's an example with the problem at 0:42: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Xq60E … e=youtu.be
I always use full manual settings, and the strange thing is, it this problem doesn't occur every shot.

Any ideas?

Thanks

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Are you using florescent lights by any chance? What shutter speed did you use for the shots that had the problem?
You could try changing the shutter speed to 1/30 or less, or a multiple of 60 (50 for Europe) that's 120 (100 in Europe) or greater.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

@Mark, shutter speed doesn't apply for webcams. He's using a c920 (hence the thread he's posting in). This weird effect has many causes, and there's a few topics on the subject, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. There's a specific name for it. I'll look again later if someone else doesn't figure it out first. Most of the time it has to do with the lights and the exposure/gain on the webcam. Darker areas and dark lighting especially have the issue.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

@Mark, shutter speed doesn't apply for webcams. He's using a c920 (hence the thread he's posting in). This weird effect has many causes, and there's a few topics on the subject, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. There's a specific name for it. I'll look again later if someone else doesn't figure it out first. Most of the time it has to do with the lights and the exposure/gain on the webcam. Darker areas and dark lighting especially have the issue.

I'm currently using two incandescent desk lamps which are fairly bright, especially considering that I'm lighting a pretty small set.
The most recent time this issue happened, I was able to get around the problem by sticking to the recommended exposure. This isn't always a viable option, and anyway, I'm not sure if that was just a fluke.

YouTube

I've had that problem randomly through the years, and the only fix I've come across is to fiddle with the exposure settings and/or the lighting setup. Like Rio, I know there's several topics on here discussing the issue, but I don't believe any offered a viable and permanent solution.

Sometimes, I've adjusted the scene, and other times just had to bite the bullet and deal with it. Thankfully, if it isn't that extreme, most folks either don't see it, or overlook it.

It's obscure and technical enough that nobody's really figured out what causes it. It may have a technical name, but if it does, I haven't seen it thrown around often. I think we just call it "that annoying line thing." mini/wink

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I've had that problem randomly through the years, and the only fix I've come across is to fiddle with the exposure settings and/or the lighting setup. Like Rio, I know there's several topics on here discussing the issue, but I don't believe any offered a viable and permanent solution.

Sometimes, I've adjusted the scene, and other times just had to bite the bullet and deal with it. Thankfully, if it isn't that extreme, most folks either don't see it, or overlook it.

It's obscure and technical enough that nobody's really figured out what causes it. It may have a technical name, but if it does, I haven't seen it thrown around often. I think we just call it "that annoying line thing." mini/wink

Ok, thanks.
The problem has since gone away, but it will probably come back, someday. Luckily, it doesn't occur that often to be too big of an issue.

YouTube

My C920 keeps ruining some photos I take. It happens randomly. Say everything is fine and then suddenly for a second the bottom third of the photo becomes all weirdly blurred out. I keep thinking maybe it's my old laptop and it's USB ports but I did a test shot with my old Logitech Pro 9000 and it went completely fine so it's either my C920's wire that is corrupted or there's something else going on but it's really disrupting the workflow.