Topic: Favourite Writers

Who are your favourite writers? Whether screenwriters, book writers, etc. I'll start:

Christopher Nolan: He creates these original characters that you can root for, cry with, etc. His dialogue is rich and a joy to listen to. Film.

Brian Michael Bendis: Besides him creating my favourite comic book(Ultimate Spider-Man), Brian create stories that are fresh and relatable. Dialogue is realistic and distinct for each of his characters. Comics, Tv.

Mark Miller: His comedic dark original stories (Wanted, Kick-Ass, Service Service) are entertaining and boundary pushing. Nothing restricts his creative vision. The plot scenarios are original and fresh. Comics, Movies.

Stan Lee: He is the creator of some many characters I love. I've read the original comics. They are great and enjoyable. I thank him for creating a lot of unique characters I have grown up with. Comics.

Edit: Forgot to mention Frank Miller. His take on Daredevil is my favourite. The "born again" storyline was a true masterpiece. I also enjoyed Sin City, Dark Knight returns, etc. His grim realistic crime stories are incredible. Film, Comics.

Last edited by funmiproductions (May 12, 2015 (06:02am))

Re: Favourite Writers

Bookwise, I'm not sure. My opinions are constantly changing. Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy had a massive impact on me when I was younger, but honestly in recent years I've become rather fond of Edgar Rice Burroughs. I've read the first two Tarzan books, which are extremely entertaining, and A Princess Of Mars is likewise a delight. I think what clicnhes it for me is that his works as so escapist, yet in a time when science fiction at least hadn't truly found its footing (though it did exist), and so he's still toying with concepts that may be commonplace to authors and audiences today. Truthfully, I don't read as much as I used to, which is a shame, but I rarely have the time. I still read some YA fiction, since it's an age range that interests me (I'm currently writing a YA novel series myself) but other than that, the last books I read were King Lear and Titus Groan. This is all to say nothing of Tolkien, of course, as Middle-earth's a subject I could talk about for days, just as I could on the works of HP Lovecraft.

For film, I'm also not sure. As with you Funmi, I admire Christopher Nolan's work, particularly Interstellar and The Dark Knight, but I may go with Shane Black. I'm very partial to Lethal Weapon, Iron Man 3 and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Edgar Wright also deserves a mention though.

In terms of TV, it would have to be Joss Whedon. While I love his work in other mediums, it's in Buffy and Firefly that his writing shines. His ability to juggle large character ensembles is phenomenal, and even his 'worst' work (often considered to be either Dollhouse or Alien: Resurrection) isn't that bad.

In comics...that's a tricky one. I have a love/hate relationship with comics anyway, since there's as much that annoys me about even my favourite comics as there is that I like about them. The Infinity Gauntlet omnibus is case-in-point: the six core issues by Jim Starlin are truly awful, but the Silver Surfer and Doctor Strange tie-ins are (mostly) a joy to read. I'd probably have to go with Matt Fraction, who did one of my favourite runs of Iron Man, as well as the most recent run of The Defenders, and Fear Itself, which is my favourite crossover event by far. Geoff Johns and his work on Green Lantern before/during/after Blackest Night, and on Flash, also deserves a huge special mention; he comes in as a close second for me.

NB sort of related, but I don't think Stan Lee's a particularly great writer. He's a fantastic world-builder, as seen in Thor's early adventures in Journey into Mystery, but a lot of his other stories feel quite poorly handled. Maybe that's just my opinion.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Jonathan Nolan.
F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Tim O'brien.
Oscar Wilde.
Robert Frost.
William Faulkner.

Last edited by Legocloniac477 (June 29, 2016 (06:55pm))

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I read the Percy Jackson (don't judge a book by its movie) series by Rick Riordan, the follow up series was okay-ish but the last book was bad. He writes about the lives of the descendants ancient mythological of gods/pharaoh that live in modern America and how they hide it from the world. It's quite interesting. I am eager for his Norse mythology books.

As for my favourite comic book writer, it is Jeph Loeb. He wrote some of the most well-known DC comic books such as Long Halloween, Hush and Batman/Superman. He works alongside Tim Sale most of the time. I haven't read any of his Mavel comics because I can't find them in book stores or libraries. He also writes scipts for TV shows: Heroes, Smallville, Lost, Teen Wolf. He is Head of Television for Marvel Entertainment. He doesn't have any good quotes and such, but his complex storyline gets me to reread his books over and over. I still haven't fully understood Batman: Hush after reading it two or three times.

I'm not into screenplay writers very much, but I enjoy a good comedy.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I've included authors as well as screenwriters in this list. I'm sure I missed a few, but these are the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Jack Kerouac: hippie beatnik writer–On the Road

Orson Welles: Touch of Evil, Citizen Cane, The Third Man

Billy Wilder: Sunset Boulevard, Some Like it Hot, The Apartment 

Paul Thomas Anderson: Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will be Blood, The Master, Inherent Vice

Ingmar Bergman: Wild Straw Berries, The Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night

Stephen King: It, The Shinning, Different Seasons, Misery

Mark Crilley: Miki Falls, Brody's Ghost

Last edited by Willow Tree (May 12, 2015 (12:38pm))

I have to say with Orson Welles.  I also like Arthur C Clarke and H.G. Wells, although both were extremely anti-Semitic, and I love George Orwell.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Willow Tree wrote:

Orson Welles: Touch of Evil, Citizen Cane, The Third Man
Billy Wilder: Sunset Boulevard, Some Like it Hot
Ingmar Bergman: The Seventh Seal

Fantastic films all (not to say the others you listed aren't, I just haven't seen them yet). I particularly love Wilder's work and if there was a like button for Willow Tree's post I would be pressing it really really really hard.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Stan Lee

Last edited by Smocktopus (June 29, 2016 (12:00pm))

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

In the Mainstream corner, we have J.R.R. Tolkien, located here because of his fantastic universes, created through endless imagination. And now, in this corner, the In-Between corner, we have Joss Whedon, praised by Mickey for his brilliant comedic timing, mind-boggling plot points, and enthralling action bits. Lastly, in this corner, we have Herge, author of The Adventures of Tintin, the Belgian series of graphic novels filled to the brim with great gags, adventurous action, and crazy characters.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

J.R.R. Tolkien
C.S Lewis 
Chuck Black
Jonathan Sarfati

are a few I enjoy reading.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Mickey wrote:

. Lastly, in this corner, we have Herge, author of The Adventures of Tintin, the Belgian series of graphic novels filled to the brim with great gags, adventurous action, and crazy characters.

Yes! I love Tintin! Hopefully Peter Jackson doesn't decide to Hobbitize the next Tintin movie.

I'm....................................... A brickfilming noob.

Victor Hugo - Book/Poetry Author

Jessica

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31.

I enjoy reading;
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
C.S. Lewis
Charles Dickens
Herge

Smocktopus wrote:

Stan Lee

I don't remember writing this at all, for some reason. I just finished The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert louis stevenson and I like it very much.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Speaking of comic writers, I love Simon Furman, the British writer of Transformers comics (and inventor of spin-off Death's Head).  He later came to the USA and became the all-time greatest writer of TF comic books.  He brought over two of the UK's Transformer artists: Geoff Senior, whose art is flat and I don't care for two much, and Andrew Wildman, whose are is highly detailed and expressive.

I'm proud to own Andrew Wildman's original art: the final splash page from the final issue of the original run of Transformers comics (Issue 80).  Something very funny about it: Marvel rushed them to finish up and also tie up the storyline within 5 issues.  Classic TF fans know of the stress they went through to end everything.  Outside the margins and written in pencil, Andrew Wildman wrote a message at the bottom of the beautiful work of art of a gigantic battle scene.  It was far enought in the margin that it would be cropped out, but still large enough to notice (about 1/2 letters).  The message is assumedly for Baskersville, the inker:

"I'm having a nervous breakdown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 

The !s are of increasing side and width.

I know the story goes off the writer topic a bit, but it's  funny and curious story that shows a bit of the inside life of Marvel.  I have since wondered if there are other inside messages on other comic writers' original works, how frequent it is, and what those messages are if they do exist.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

This is an interesting one, as I have many favourite authors!

One not yet mentioned on here, though excellent is Philip Pullman, his world building is exceptional and Pullman is a very good descriptive author too.
I also love the way how he blends theology into his stories.

George Orwell, though popular is another one I would like to mention as one of my all time favourite authors.
Orwell writes in very simple language and conveys enormously big ideas in just a few words. I love the way how he writes about totalitarianism in his stories (Such as Animal Farm, 1984)

Teleplay wise (Authors who write for TV) I'd say Michael J Straczynski, Straczynski is an extremely talented writer
(Almost writing the entirety of the criminally underrated TV space opera Babylon5 by him self)

On a lighter note, Herge is a fantastic illustrator and author creating a diverse cast of fun and bright characters.

and finally Franz Kafka, Kafka's works are very hard to explain, they focus on putting regular people in weird and uncontrollable situations
such as Gregor's transformation to a bug like creature in "The Metamorphosis"

Billions of blue blistering bricks!

Kind of an old thread, but I've been reading a lot this past year so I thought I'd share some of my favourites.
- Franz Kafka: Through social media I started learning about his tragic life and he truly resonated with me so I got very interested in his books and stories. I recently read his "The Metamorphosis", which is truly outstanding. From my point of view it's about the impossible to avoid changes that can come about in our lives. I now think twice about killing insects in my house whenever I see one. I've been thinking about adapting it into brickfilm form but it would be very challenging, I stumbled unto a post from 2011 by topit here in the forums discussing this very thing but I didn't find a result so I presume that it didn't work out.
- Oscar Wilde: The way he manages to blend the beauty and ugliness of human nature in his works is truly unique. His works are a good way to gain insight into Victorian society if you are interested in that. "The Picture of Dorian Gray" is probably my favourite book ever, it really grabbed my attention, It was constantly in my head, wondering what would happen next. I'm hoping to read "De Profundis" very soon, I've been hearing great things about it.
- Dino Buzzati: Another great writer whose works I admire, although I've only read one of his so far. In "The Tartar Steppe" he basically warns us about wasting our lives. It's about waiting, while time is flying fast with your hopes and and expectations as well. It made me rethink my life.