Re: What was the last TV show you watched?

Jessica Jones

Overall, it's well executed, but it's not as good as Daredevil, which stands out a lot since it's in the same universe.
The whole premise of Killgrave is deeply disturbing, however, I sometimes had trouble taking it seriously because it came off as a bit too far-fetched, whereas villains in Daredevil are usually a bit more down-to-Earth and believable, which (even if they are less powerful than Killgrave) still makes them more scary.

Daredevil Season 2

Top-notch.  It really stands up to season 1 (which I also really liked) adding a couple of new characters, interesting story, and super stylized fight scenes.  I'd say that this show is the best part of the MCU.

Square One TV

I've been binge watching  (well, 4 episodes).  I'd love for there to be an educational show like this today.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Over the past few weeks, I've watched:

Prison Break

Overall, quite enjoyable.  The premise is really interesting and well executed.  However, I do feel like the plot gets ever more contrived, even borderline ridiculous, as the series goes on.  In Season 1, it makes sense that Michael has a good chance of breaking Lincoln out, seeing as he has the blueprints for Fox River, is established to be a structural engineer by trade and has above-average intelligence in general, and has had time to prepare--and the escape itself takes a full season to unfold.  Compare that to Season 3, where

Spoiler (click to read)

he is locked up in a Panamanian super-prison and told to break someone out within a week by the Company, even though he has zero idea of the layout and what sort of prison it is, and has had no time to prepare.

It gets even worse in the finale

Spoiler (click to read)

when Michael breaks Sara out of a prison comparable to Fox River in two days... somehow.

Even so, the series as a whole is really well done.  The characters are well written and memorable.  Mahone in particular goes through a really interesting character arc, and it says a lot that even outright villainous characters, such as T-Bag, somehow manage to not be totally unlikable.  There were also quite a few minor characters that I really liked, like Westmoreland.  I also like the fact that the show isn't afraid to kill off characters when necessary (perhaps it's even a bit too eager to do so at times). 

I'm a bit conflicted about the ending, though.

Spoiler (click to read)

On the one hand, I'm glad it didn't end up as a typical Hollywood happy ending, but on the other hand, it feels a little cheap.  it's well established that Michael will go well out of his way to help others even if it jeopardises his safety/life, and having him just sacrifice himself at the end seems a bit unfair and dissatisfying.  Especially considering that he's supposedly dying of a brain tumour that was operated on and cured, and that his own mother survived as well.  However, the ending with his message to Lincoln and Sara is genuinely heartwarming and makes the ending as a whole feel a lot better.

I'm not sure I'd say it's the best show ever, but it's definitely worth watching and I'd highly recommend it.

Mr. Robot

Really fascinating.  This show really manages to create a sense of paranoia, and there's some clever writing and editing going on.  I particularly like the idea that the audience is Elliott's imaginary friend whom he created, which helps make his narration and internal monologues feel much more natural (and fits well with the increasingly heavy implications that he might not be totally sane).  There are also many small touches, such as how everyone refers to E-Corp as "Evil Corp" since this is what Elliott has conditioned himself to think each time he hears/sees "E-Corp".  The cinematography is also very interesting, in how it often frames people in corners or awkward positions, which really helps create an atmosphere of discomfort, even dread.  It's also nice to see a realistic depiction of hacking/coding in a TV show--realistic as far as I can tell, at least, since I'm not exactly a computer expert (although I was able to recognise that Darlene apparently used Python to code the program used to attack Steel Mountain...).

However, at the same time, there are several flaws.  For one, I cringed at some of the references to real-life celebrities/pop culture, such as Barack Obama, Steve Jobs, Bill Cosby, and Buzzfeed (yes, Buzzfeed).  This is totally not going to become very dated in a few years' time.  (Although, I have to admit I did laugh at the"stupid Marvel movies" jab quite a bit).  It gets even weirder when you consider that this is a world in which Facebook and Apple exist, yet everything is supposedly controlled by the shadowy "E-Corp", and you see people running around with E-Corp stickers on what are obviously iPads.  Not to mention, Fsociety is clearly meant to draw a parallel to Anonymous/Occupy, even down to the similar-looking masks.  I suppose the alternative--creating fictionalised versions of what are obviously meant to be real-life people/brands--can come across as being equally if not more awkward and artificial, but I feel like the writers could have integrated this aspect a lot more gracefully. 

Also, while most of the characters are well-written and complex, I feel like the show really goes overboard with trying to make Tyrell and Joanna Wellick look villainous. 

Spoiler (click to read)

It's like the show is trying to say: "Hey, not only the creepy Scandinavian guy with the ice-blue eyes desperate trying to become the new CTO of a company literally referred to as 'EvilCorp', he also beats up homeless people for fun and is a depraved bisexual!  And his wife drinks alcohol while heavily pregnant and threatens to leave him on the day their child is born!  Look at this!  Look at how evil this is!"

I'm half-surprised they didn't give him a moustache to twirl.  It's even more jarring since the majority of the plot occurs from Elliot's perspective, yet he has no way of knowing these things have occurred--so there isn't the possibility that this may just be his distorted or biased view of them.

I feel like the main reason this show works as well as it does is because of the first-person perspective of Elliott, and the glimpses we get into his mind.  The plot could have been rather tired and cliched (a mega corporation conglomerate of evil holding the world in debt being targeted by a group of vigilante hackers, not exactly the most original premise), but it is executed well and results in a compelling story.  Definitely one of the more intriguing shows I've seen recently, and it's definitely worth taking a look, if you don't mind some occasional graphic content.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (June 19, 2016 (06:01pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I rememebr this thread, but timely, because I just watched the premiere of Jim Gaffigan show.  It's a bit sillier this season, but just as funny.  The firt one was really good for Fathers' Day.

Well, this is awkward. I've been binge-watching both the British and the American editions of "The Office", and I am just now posting about it. I'm only on Season Four so far, but here's what I have to say about the shows, even though both are simply too brilliant to venture too far into detail.

The Office (UK)

Since I am on something of a binge, I finished both series and the Christmas Specials within five days. There are only twelve episodes and two specials, so there isn't a whole lot to keep track of.

But, Ricky Gervais is perfectly arrogant and hilariously cringe-y (just like in real life) as David Brent, the manager of a British paper company. I've never honestly been a big fan of Gervais, or his sense of humor. But, he's given his chance to shine here, as the rude, crude character that fits his personality so well.

I've known people that couldn't make it through the pilot, and others who don't want to try the show because of the thick accents that each character speaks in. But, if you're a fan of the better-recieved American edition, or even various BBC documentaries, you might enjoy this brooding, shocking, and all-around comical take on life in the workplace.

The Office (US): Seasons 1-4

Right off the bat, I noticed the scripts and jokes from both pilots are strikingly similar. But, I looked past that and continued farther into the first season, with "Diversity Day" and "Basketball" being my definite favorite episodes from Season 1. I really struggled to pay any attention to the finale with Amy Adams, and hoped for better seasons to come.

Seasons 2 and 3 are vast improvements, and really are the periods in the show where everything starts to fall into place. This is exactly where "The Office" starts to find their sound and their overall form. So many episodes from both seasons are amazing, like "The Fire" and "Booze Cruise", and "Cocktails" and "Safety Training". There are so many others that are just as great--this was the show in its prime.

Season 4 has been a ride so far. All of he episodes are hilarious and brilliant in their own right, and the transitional fluidity of the plot is coherent and reasonably easy to follow. I highly recommend both editions, and if you're up for it, watch them back-to-back, like I've been doing.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

The Burn Notice

I didn't catch this show when it originally aired. About halfway through the first season now, it's just a fun show to just sit down and watch. Definitely has a 'MacGyver' feel to it with the narration, gadgets and random spy stuff.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm

I never heard of that show, but I love MacGyver!

These two came out awhile ago, but they are still really good.  Both are based on Elizabeth Gaskell's books.

North & South2004

Really good. 10/10.

Cranford

Another really good series. 10/10.

Jessica

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” 1 Corinthians 10:31.

Greatest Hits.

First episode.  Focused on 1980 to 1985.  Recorded it.  Loved it.

next week skipping to 1995-2000.  I may pass until 1986-1990

The Christmas ISISicle

Parody of Hallmark movies by  Stu Berguire, who was behind the earlier parody, ''The Christmas Twist''.

Sherlock Season 4 OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!! YAZ YAZ YAZ!!!! 11/10 HANDZ DOWN, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!!! BBC I LUV YOU mini/love mini/love mini/love

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

i just watched that too. amazing......

The last show I watched was duck dynasty season 10

YouTube

I'm a Brickfilmer that loves smooth animation and attention to detail.

Sherlock Series 4 (2017)

Oh boy.

I never thought I would actually be saying this... but this was cringeworthy.  It's just bad.

The writing is absolutely horrible, to the point where you legitimately wonder whether the screenwriters were taking the same stuff as Sherlock when coming up with this.  This series/season tries way too hard to be too clever for its own good when the basic plot is so mind-numbingly stupid.  Granted, Sherlock has always been self-aware in this regard, but at this point it crosses the line from being clever to being downright obnoxious.  The entire series of episodes clumsily tries manipulate your emotions in the worst possible way.

Spoiler (click to read)

The death of Mary, in particular, felt like a pretty cheap shot (heh) to me.  I did however like how the characters develop from that--John becomes withdrawn and depressed, Sherlock shows genuine remorse and humility and really shows how far he's come since "A Study in Pink".

The set-up for "The Lying Detective" is actually really great.  There's brilliant editing and cinematography (and the most imaginative visual depiction of thinking that I've ever seen).  Toby Jones puts in a delightfully odious performance as the slimy Culverton-Smith.  All of this has amazing potential--and in certain instances it really knocks it out of the park.  The "anyone" scene is breath-takingly well executed.

Spoiler (click to read)

But no, the entire case is just a smokescreen for a gambit to SAVE WATSON because he's DEPRESSED!  And Sherlock getting perilously high and putting himself in mortal danger is somehow the only way that will accomplish this.  Culverton-Smith is caught and apprehended with an almost casual sense of ennui.  What a let-down.

It gets worse.

Spoiler (click to read)

I particularly hate how the entire plot revolves around what is basically a family squabble.  The return of Moriarty, the serial killers and criminals Sherlock fights, all is pushed aside in favour of a petty family argument.  (Granted, most family arguments don't involve murder, but still).  Making every conflict and event revolve around the protagonists' personal lives feels so... parochial.  It completely closes off wider possibilities in favour of what are pretty selfish motivations.  The "OMG THE VILLAIN IS A CLOSE RELATIVE!!!11!" card is a pretty forced way to add drama to a story as is, and here it's implemented in an extremely ham-fisted way.  Speaking of the villain...

Eurus somehow manages to incorporate three of most overused and obnoxious cliches: the child psychopath, the child genius, and the creepy child who speaks in a sing-song voice.  Even though she's an adult.  The out-of-nowhere reveal that there is a third Holmes sibling makes absolutely no sense and is extremely contrived.  (And no, "Redbeard" doesn't count as foreshadowing, as it was already established to be Sherlock's childhood dog, and there was no real indication that there is any significance beyond that.)  There's also no explanation or justification as to how she manages to break out of a solitary confinement cell in the most secure mental institution in the country, successfully impersonate a billionaire's daughter and a therapist, obtain military-grade weaponry, and somehow take over the entire facility and guards and compromise the structural integrity of the entire prison without anyone noticing... except she talked with Moriarty for 5 minutes and can hypnotise people?  At this point it would make more sense to give her literal magic powers.  Moriarty's presence also has no purpose and the only reason he's there is because he has to be.  It's not even clear how Eurus and Moriarty found out about each other's existence--is Mycroft really that bad at keeping secrets?  For someone in such a high position of power he sure seems to be shockingly incompetent at doing his job.

Maybe I'm reading way too much into this, but it just seems ridiculous that a person locked in solitary confinement since childhood is somehow the smartest person in the entire show.  No matter how smart a person is, in solitary confinement with no human contact/stimuli, the brain begins to deteriorate.  And even if that was accounted for... how does she know so much about the outside world or how humans interact?  Why does she have normal speech and behaviour patterns?  How is she even able to pass for a normal human to the point where it fools Sherlock and Watson... twice?  It makes no sense.

And then she decides to turn the facilities into the Aperture Science labs and run "experiments" on Sherlock, Mycroft, and John... because Sherlock wouldn't play with her when she was a 5-year old?  What?  That has got to be the lamest antagonist plan in... forever.

The entire finale is a non-stop chain of ever more contrived situations in order to squeeze an emotional reaction out of the audience, and it's executed with such gracelessness and ineptitude that it's painful to sit through.

It's a shame, because there are so many brilliant individual moments, but it's so let down by the shoddy and awful writing.  I don't think I've ever seen a series jump the shark (or aquarium) this spectacularly.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 9, 2017 (10:23am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Got to entirely agree with you there, Mr Vertigo, sometimes I felt like they were writing a script for a completely different genre (I mean the whole 'Euros can hypnotise anyone easily' would be better suited to a fantasy theme, not crime and mystery). It's a shame, as I was really looking forward to it all this time mini/sad

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Riverdale
More of a guilty pleasure, if anything. The whole family's into it.

I forgot about this thread.  I had a great viewing week, including:

1) The Goldbergs
I thought last week's "Karate Kid" episode was the best episode, with Adam Goldberg vs Adam Goldberg.  This week's "Jar Wars" episode even surpassed that, taking the place as the best episode this season.

Every episode of Goldbergs is broken down into three parts:
- 25 minutes of laughing
- 4 minutes of crying
- 1 minute of home movies

2) 24: Legacy

Everyone's most hated terrorist in this episode is Amira.  This season is only 12 episode, but they don't call the show "12".  This was episode (hour) 6, the halfway point.  In the next episode we usually find those who are behind the terrorists, and the problem gets bigger.  The formula is to break down an day (season) into two parts evenly like that.  Next week, my favorite character, Tony Almeida, returns!  Everyone's excited in the community.

3) Glenn Beck

Extremely heartwrenching episode, where they had a guest on from Operation Underground Railroad, with whom Glenn went with to Thailand.  Together they are part of a team of undercover agents trying to break up a child prostitution ring and free the 111 child slaves inside.  It staggers the mind what indescribable mistreatment of children exists.  We are so blessed.

4) Designated Survivor

Great politcial thriller in the spirit of 24.

Iron Fist
I think I'm done looking at critic's reviews. They called this show uninteresting, slow, and boring. All lies. I really enjoyed this series and was engaged the whole thing. Definitely worth the watch. The "whitewashing" case with the show is ridiculous. You can't whitewash a character that has always been white. Some of the complaints happen to be some of the reasons they praised Jessica Jones a few years ago, which was a lot slower, and more often than not, quite boring. I hope there is a second season after The Defenders.

The hip hop soundtrack worked really well with the images. Hip Hop and Martial Arts are a great combo, and the fight scenes inventive. Some of it wasn't particularly filmed a significant way and the choreography helping it, but it doesn't best Daredevil's fight scenes. This was also the most "visual" of the 4 shows, with Danny's power unleashed, especially later in the season.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10

Last edited by funmiproductions (December 4, 2017 (11:57am))

Harmon Quest
I love Dan Harmon's work, but this is so great. Definitely considering playing D&D after watching. The improvisation, the dark humor, and the animation to go with the storytelling is a blast to watch.

Godless
Surprisingly, I watched this and didn't fall asleep, and it is one of those real talk shows. I usually can't stand westerns but I was impressed with this. The dialogue, the interesting characters, the set pieces, and the action. Netflix really trusts their creators.

House of Cards
Just started watching it. I'll just leave it at that.

Stargirl
The pilot episode was great. Below is my review
https://funmismoviereviews.blogspot.com … pilot.html

Gonna review it every week.