Topic: Some questions about the Brickfilm commnuity

Hey, so I'm doing some Brickfilms for a project on my college course and I'm meant to have some research on why people animate with Lego, so I was wondering I anyone could answer some questions for my research, thanks. mini/smile

Here are the questions:

• Why animate with Lego? 

• How do you measure success with a brickfilm?

• What does it take to be successful at at Lego animation?

• Overall what is your opinion of the brickfilming community?

If you could answer these it'd really help me out, thanks. mini/smile

Re: Some questions about the Brickfilm commnuity

• Why animate with Lego? 

1) Lego has a friendly-faced fairly poseable figure collection that almost invites one to bring to life.  We imagine stories with our Lego constructions as children... realizing them in film is the next step.  Also, Lego enables one to do things that aren't so easily achieved in live action.  Imagine making a space opera live action, then with Lego!

2) Some measure their success in how many views their videos receive.  I don't.  To me success is one of two things: 1) the sense of accomplishment for creating a piece of art with Lego, and 2) Successfully conveying a message to the viewers and encouraging them to think about it.

3) TO be successful at Lego animation to me requires 3 elements, in order of priority: 1) Patience and vigilance 2) A well-written story with a solid message or theme, and 2) Technical skills.  I think 3 isn't as crucial but not to be neglected.  Viewers will overlook amateurish animation if the story is entertaining or thought-provoking.  One's technical expertise increases with practice. 

4) My overall opinion of Brickfilming: a diverse community of laid-back, welcoming, cheerful hobbyists with a common love for the potential of the Lego brick.  The only thing I'd like to see different, although I'm totally anti-quota, is more females joining the community.  My reasons: 1) their films would open a new perspective, 2) there'd be a wider pool of female voice actors and 3) Lego is for everyone.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (June 4, 2016 (06:28am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

Here are the questions:

• Why animate with Lego? 

1) I think Lego pretty much offers itself to stop motion. Unlike other forms of stop motion, like claymation, for example, Lego is much more stable and is less likely to collapse whilst you try to animate. Also, you don't have to have loads of Lego to create an epic looking set. Want to build a castle? Make it micro!

2) I measure success on how well I have told a story. As much as I enjoy reenacting famous music videos, I feel mostly passionate about telling a good story, and hopefully telling one that is original.

3) Basically, what you need is another human being to tell you what you are doing well and what you need to improve on. That's why communities like Bricks in Motion exist - to share each others' work and to give each other advice. If you listen to what people say you need to improve on and do so, you're on the right track to making a successful brickfilm.

4) I pretty much summed up what I think of the community in the last question. I think it is wonderful that a community like this exists. Before I discovered BiM, I felt like I was the only one who was so passionate about the art of brickfilming, but now, being a part in this fantastic community, I really feel like this is a second home, where I can visit whenever I want and wherever. When I joined this site, I really needed advice. At first, I thought I would never improve, but I acted on what people said and I've made a lot of progress. Do I still need to improve? Of course I do! But that is why BiM is such a perfect website - we all need to work on something to improve, but together, we can all help each other out.

PilotJohnGrant wrote:
  • Why animate with Lego? 

I animate with LEGO because it has always been around. I grew up surrounded by my LEGO collection. In fact, it was the toy I played with most over any other toy I owned. When I got into animation, it was the only logical choice. It was easy to build, the characters were articulate, and there was an established community so I didn't have to figure it out on my own. Over the years, I learned that LEGO is even more versatile that I ever knew. LEGO is simple, yet it can be complex. The medium is relatable to people who played with LEGO growing up, thus sparking a nostalgic emotion. Add a good story to that and a brickfilm is born.

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

Success. That's a tough word. To many, success comes through the number of hits they get on Youtube. However, that is a flawed viewpoint. Many things go viral on Youtube, yet, that doesn't mean they are good. I call a film successful if it sparks a reaction, starts a conversation, or simply impacts an emotion. This is not to say that all my films are soap operas, though! I find success by the satisfaction of the viewer. If the audience is satisfied with what they just watched and doesn't feel like the few minutes was a complete waste of time, the film was successful. You cannot please everyone, but you can at least try to personally affect the day of the viewer for the better.

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

Here were are again with success. But since you phrased it the way you did, I assume you are asking how a good brickfilms is made. Basically, to create a "successful" brickfilm, you need a good story. A story (like mentioned above) that is worth watching. Second, good animation. Obviously, the phrase "good animation" is way too crude and simple, since animation is such a complex thing. "Good" is very subjective, but I define it as an animation that is viewable and enjoyable. The more animation mastery, the better. Good animation is not defined in smoothness or in framerate. No, it's not even defined in the robot-y perfection of the walk cycle. It's defined by the character of the animation. Does it get the point across? Does it create the illusion of some type of life (doesn't even have to resemble a human or animal movement, as long as it is animated to covey the point the author wants to create).

But I could split up the parts of a good animation and describe each for hours. But that's now how it works. A successful brickfilm is one that the creator is proud of.

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

It's so great to have a community of brickfilmers. People who you encourage and that encourage you. People who you are friends with, people who you pretend to be friends with... Human beings who care about the same things you do. I guess you could say it's like a support group. And we all have that one thing in common: a passion to tell stories using LEGO bricks. Sure, there's community drama, but it passes and we're all friends again. We may argue now and again about different things, but in the end, we're all brickfilmers.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

PilotJohnGrant wrote:
  • Why animate with Lego? 

Probably the biggest reason I animate with LEGO bricks is because I grew up playing with LEGO toys, and that love for LEGO toys actually introduced me to stop-motion (inadvertently, but still brought about the introduction), and I just continued using them. The other thing is the community I found here (mostly at BiM). It's a fantastic one, and not something I would readily give up. mini/smile

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

Some people measure success in the number of YouTube views/subscribers, but while those are awesome I find success in making something that others can enjoy. If I can make something that is really appreciated by someone, that's enough for me. Not gonna lie, though, I would totally love some popularity. xD However, that is not the driving force behind my hobby.

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

This is going to depend on your definition of success, but I think a pretty good general answer would just be perseverance. Stop-motion can be really tedious (that's pretty inherent with the technique mini/tongue ), but if you are dedicated and make it through that, you can learn a ton. Also, the more you try, the more you'll learn, and that's no less true of stop-motion than anything else.

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

There are two basic groups in the brickfilming community - the YouTube brickfilmers and the other "community" brickfilmers (BricksInMotion, bric-a-brac, BrickfilmersGuild, and some other small places). The YouTube brickfilmers are mostly focused on getting views, so there's not much of a community there, per se.
The other group, which includes everybody here, is amazing (as I stated before). Everyone here is extremely supportive and encouraging, and all these great people rub off on each other.

Another facet to answer: Why animate with Lego?  Is that It's a medium that's instantly recognizable.  If someone stumbles upon a brickfilm, they immedicately react with, oh, look! Lego animation!  It's been around since the 1950s and all generations know and possibly have used them.

Two days ago I went into a collectible shop and stumbled upon a Ronald McDonald mad with Lego.  He was about 12 to 15 inches in height, and made almost entirely with brick elements.  People can usually recognize the period something was made by the brick types used and color scheme.  I immediately placed the McDonalds statue at 1960s or early 1970s.  Lego has both a timelessness and nostalgia to it that makes it ideal for animations!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

The brickfilming community, at least here on BiM, is very nice. Not like just polite niceness, genuinely friendly and helpful.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Smocktopus wrote:

The brickfilming community, at least here on BiM, is very nice. Not like just polite niceness, genuinely friendly and helpful.

Sounds like we need to bring some harsh Blunty-ness to this community.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

I think your questions have been answered pretty well, and I echo what HoldingOurOwn, William, Rio, and Mighty have said; I would like to add something to the second question, though. One of the ways I see success in a brickfilm is when the brickfilmers I look up to, the ones who's films first inspired me to try the hobby for myself six years ago, give positive feedback on a film. I don't care about earning the adoration of the masses of YouTube, I care about earning the respect of the filmmakers whom I so greatly respect.

I couldn't agree with you more, backyardlegos. You summed that up perfectly mini/yes

Thank you all so much for answering you really helped me out, not to mention how great the answers are! mini/smile mini/smile

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

Here are the questions:

• Why animate with Lego? 

• What does it take to be successful at Lego animation?

1. Lego, as a medium, has several incredible advantages. You can still create any sort of design or character you want, but it comes in special little parts that can be used over and over again in innumerable ways. Thus it is not as messy, limited, or temporary as other mediums. The minifigures have a nice balance of limited flexibility that, again, allows you to avoid the necessity of highly complex life-like movements for every motion that some require, yet they are still able to express emotion and action with surprising effectiveness. Plus, they are a house-hold item, and my large collection was a readily available resource of potential that did not require, (though it certainly led to) much further investment to get started.

2. As has been noted, there are two different definitions that go with the word success. I define it as the ability to examine the final product, and be proud of the results. Some of my films I look back on with slight regret, and wish that I could change this or that. That is the opposite of success. Success beyond my own perception only adds to the effect. Should a film of which I am proud then be well received by the community here, I count that as a double-success.

3. Patience and a dogged perseverance. The willingness to put your all into a film, holding nothing back. The personal dedication to see a project through to the end, no matter the obstacles ahead. It is primarily found in a well-polished story that is supported and enhanced by appropriate visuals. It is best achieved by preserving the initial passion and excitement for a project all the way through the process, as that inner drive will push you to craft the film in a careful and considering manner that will eventually result in a production that is satisfying to both the creator and the viewer.

4. It is delightful community that is fill by quite a good number of very fine fellows...And very few females. The community here has a refreshing spirit of encouragement and support that shows itself in kind and helpful critique, as well as equally-appreciated commendation. There is something special about knowing that there are other people with whom you share this slightly peculiar passion, and joining in this wonderful world-wide community has made me a better brickfilmer, as I dare say, a better person.

One of the things that I love most is the acceptance and politeness that we display to all. The maturity of the BiM community in particular is amazing. The level of respect that we grant others and their views (be they religious, social, or political) is quickly becoming a rare thing. Especially online. For Christians in particular, the secular world is getting more and more hostile to our sharing our beliefs. Yet here, folks of all kinds can make and present films supporting their worldview without fear of harsh and bias bashing from either side. (Provided they present them in a respectful manner) So no, I certainly don't agree with some of the men here religiously, nor would they agree with me. But the atmosphere is such that we can disagree in a kind and respectful manner, and then continue on together in our mutually-shared hobby.

...Wow, didn't mean to give such long answers. Oh well. mini/wink

Here are the questions:

• Why animate with Lego? 

Well, most of these have been covered very thoroughly, but I might as well add my own views to this.

1.  LEGO is (relatively) cheap, accessible, instant recogniseable, and endlessly recyclable.  Brickfilming as a whole is very easy to get into, and much more forgiving than live-action.  All you really need is a camera, LEGO, some lights, and animation software, all of which are readily obtainable.  If I have a free weekend and decide I want to make a brickfilm set on a castle or a spaceship (or both), I can make a decent quality short with relative ease in that time.  By contrast that would be more or less impossible in live-action film-making, where you need basically an army and a lot of fairly expensive equipment to make anything decent-looking, not to mention locations, props, catering, etc.  It's much easier to create a good-looking brickfilm that it is to create a good-looking live-action short.  It also doesn't hurt if you already are a LEGO fan and have a big collection to begin with, as was the case with me before I got into brickfilming.

2.  This is a pretty subjective question, as everyone measures success differently.  I myself don't know if I have a particular way of measuring success.  It depends on many different factors for me.  In a way, I feel like each new film I make is more successful than the last.  I always try to do something I've never done before, push myself in a different way, keep improving the quality of my films--whether it be writing, voicing, cinematography, lighting, editing, or otherwise.  As of right now, I'd say Retribution is my most successful film--I won 3rd place in BRAWL with it and got nominated for two BiMAs, which I've never had happen before.  But if you ask me again some time later, my answer will probably be completely different.  In the end, I think the only true measure of success is the test of time.  Does your film hold up as well as it did when you first released it?

3.  Brickfilming isn't difficult per se; it's more a matter of patience, dedication, and lots of practice.  You get out of it what you put in.  If you put effort into making your film look and sound as good as possible, it'll show.  Aside from that, though, it's really helpful to have an interest in film and film-making.  On of the biggest influences on my brickfilming was a live-action film course I took.  It may not seem immediately obvious, but a lot of what you learn in live-action applies to brickfilming as well.  There's a noticeable jump in quality in my films I made after I took this course (though this is also partially due to the fact I got a much better camera and equipment as well).  Watching and closely analysing films is also a great way to improve your film-making skills. 

4.  The community is fantastic, in short.  Everyone here is very supportive and helpful, and it's a great place to get advice and feedback, and share your progress.  I've gotten to know many good friends here, including many brickfilmers I admire and look up to, which is something that I'm really grateful for.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (June 6, 2016 (03:13pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

PilotJohnGrant wrote:

Hey, so I'm doing some Brickfilms for a project on my college course and I'm meant to have some research on why people animate with Lego, so I was wondering I anyone could answer some questions for my research, thanks. mini/smile

Here are the questions:

• Why animate with Lego? 

Because I have had it ever since I was 4, and it is how I was introduced to animation. LEGO also provides a wide selection of sets, which allows you to make stories with an ever expanding medium to work with. LEGO has also got its own unique characters, and the fact that LEGO locks together so well makes it easy to animate. As I wll mention later, there is also an amazing community out there.

If you are talking about how I would see any of my brickfilms as successful, then I would say that as long as I have reached the main goal that I had in mind, that it turned out how I wanted it to, that it felt like it was worth my time and that at least one person has enjoyed watching it (aside from myself) then I would consider it to be a successful brickfilm.

If you are talking about how do you become a successful animator, then I would say there are a number of ways. Either by being recognised by LEGO, winning a contest, or getting good reviews/feedback on lots of your animations. However, in order to get to this level, you need A LOT of patience, a creative mind and someone  who can take constructive criticism and isn't doing it for any money or popularity that they might get from it but for the sheer pleasure of doing it.

I think that the brickfilming community is one of the best in the world, as everyone is very nice and helpful. It is also a very active community, and one which is not only recognised by LEGO, but also by other non-lego animating communities. The fact that there are so many forums as good as BiM and also so many people on YouTube doing the same thing shows that the community is in several areas.
But the best part about this communtiy is how open it is to newcomers. Anyone can join BiM or start animating or set up a lego animation channel, and there are not many other communities which can pull that off.

Good luck in college! mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?