Re: Summer Contest: Sight & Sound

I'm going to enter this. I wasn't able to enter D&L but gonna halt production for the Quixoticals.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

William Osborne wrote:

So, do you have a better chance, if you compose or get a composer from BiM to create an original score?

The contest is focused on good sound design. An original score that is designed for the film it accompanies is good sound design.

Sounds like a cool contest!:)

Well, I like this theme, seems like something I could actually make a good film out of, and public domain source material brings up some interesting possibilities, I've already got some ideas in my head, so we'll see were this leads. mini/smile

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Very good theme here.  However, I'm still too deep in Welcome to Darkmoor once again and I'd rather not deviate from it until it's done.

But if anyone wants to ask me for some help with sound recording, I'd be happy to help if desired.

Just started my screenplay. Just look at the progress I've made!

https://scontent.fbrs1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-0/s480x480/13325467_797068510395054_584330867608805927_n.jpg?oh=fe0231f51d3e2afb29f8a5426f1fe8f5&oe=57C1149A

Getting the name of the contest right might have gotten you off to a better start.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Haha, didn't notice that. I mixed up Sound and Sight with Darkness and Light. I don't stand a chance, do I? mini/lol

Does using Maya as stop-motion count?

It's all key framing.

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

OK quick question on clarification on the rules (don't know if it's an obvious answer sorry new here) when it says "This means you can not use storylines based on characters from Star Wars, Marvel, Ninjago, or other trademarked series."  So like we can't use the story of Luke Skywalker or Order 66 etc. but we're still allowed to use the minifigures from those sets correct?  Just want to clarify it now before I get to work on a project, and if I can't I'll need to spend the next couple days locating old minifigures that I have (95% of my minifigures are SW clones and droids).

Unfortunately, I will not be able to enter because I am still a beginner on sound design, but that is okay with me. Good luck you guys! mini/bigsmile

William, nice one there. mini/tongue

JJohn, You cannot use those stories or characters. You may, however, mix and match parts from those figures to create your own original figures and, thus, your own original characters.

Raptor, This contest is to push us all toward better sound design. What better way to build and develop your skills than to throw everything you've got into an entry? I've found that contests are always the best way to force myself to improve at something, and this is a fantastic chance for you to advance beyond being simply a beginner. You really ought to give it a shot.

This is a fantastic contest idea Smeagol, and I can't wait to see (and hear) the results.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Raptor, This contest is to push us all toward better sound design. What better way to build and develop your skills than to throw everything you've got into an entry? I've found that contests are always the best way to force myself to improve at something, and this is a fantastic chance for you to advance beyond being simply a beginner. You really ought to give it a shot.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. This is the perfect time to practice your skills.

Pritchard Studios wrote:

JJohn, You cannot use those stories or characters. You may, however, mix and match parts from those figures to create your own original figures and, thus, your own original characters.

This is a fantastic contest idea Smeagol, and I can't wait to see (and hear) the results.

OK, thanks for clearing that up!

Pritchard's response about the minifig question is correct.

Glad to hear everybody's excited for the theme! I am eager to see how the potential for this theme is realized in the entries. For most of the past year we've known we wanted to push for better audio with our next summer contest, but Nathan Wells devised the "Sight & Sound" theme idea and is my collaborator in conceiving and running this contest.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

this sounds fun

This could be fun.

Back into brick-filming mini/bigsmile

Making Motion  Youtube

OH!!! I ABSOLUTELY WISH ALMOST HARDER THAN I'VE EVER WISHED FOR ANYTHING (EVEN THAT FIREBREATHING RAINBOW UNICORN ROBOT CAR) THAT I WAS FREE TO DO MUSIC FOR THIS CONTEST!!! UUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!

I'll be free by August, if anyone wants music done in that month. Unfortunately, I'll be busy up to that point.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

This looks (and sounds) like it's going to be a great contest.  I actually have an idea for a film that's been rattling around in my brain for a while now, so this might be a good opportunity to bring it to life.  Question: does the story itself have to relate to sight/sound, or is the contest mainly about incorporating sight/sound on a more technical level?  The rules seem a bit unclear on how the theme applies exactly.

Also, what's the contest policy on depicting medicine/drug usage?  I have an idea for a film that would feature a drug as a central plot element.  It would be entirely fictional and mostly medical in nature, but it's possible I might include a shot of someone injecting themselves with a syringe, or taking pills, etc.  Would that be within acceptable limits?  I realise the explanation is kind of vague, and I myself haven't fully planned it out yet, but it would be useful to know all the same.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive