Topic: Beowulf Production Log

Hello everyone! For the past year or so, I've been working on a Beowulf project. I've started and stopped several times over that period of time, but now I hope to finish it. I plan on making it quite a bit shorter than the other Beowulf films that have been made, so I want to make sure every scene is well and thoroughly done. I haven't decided yet, but the film will probably be centered around an extravagant fight scene between Beowulf and the monster Grendel. I plan on posting regular updates, as well as some behind the scenes pictures of the characters and sets, so I would love some ideas and feedback.

Last edited by Shawarma Studios (April 3, 2016 (01:53pm))

Re: Beowulf Production Log

The sets for the first scene are built, and I just started animating the first shot. I can't figure out how to post pictures on here, could someone help me with this please? There are some pictures of the sets and characters that I would like to share.

If you upload the pictures to flickr, imgur, or another image host website, you can put the tags [img]and i[/img] around the direct image link to show it in your post. For example,

[img] http://i.imgur.com/4vBQ3XA.jpg [/img]

makes:
http://i.imgur.com/4vBQ3XA.jpg

Looking forward to see what you do with the story of Beowulf! mini/wink

Thanks! I appreciate the help! mini/smile

The first shot has been animated and I managed to incorporate a decent walk cycle into it. I may redo it, however, due to set and lighting problems. I never made an official script, and I am regretting that decision already, so I may go back and write a simple one. I also want this video to be different than the other Beowulf films that have been made. Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?  I would love to hear your opinion. mini/smile

Shawarma Studios wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve this?

I assume that the "this" refers to being different to other Beowulf films.
But what do you mean by "different"? The style of the film? The storyline? Or something else?
I'm not 100% sure on what you mean. As of now, research on Beowulf. Research on how setting should be, the weapons they had during the sixth century, their fighting style and other things.
Not everyone expects an accurate interpretation, but a good understanding helps.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

All I meant was that the other Beowulf movies have all been pretty much the same as far as humor and style. I want my film to be different from theirs by altering some things in the plot, using a more cartoony animating style, and interpreting the story in a completely different way. So I just need help figuring out how to achieve a more bouncy, cartoony sort of fighting, and altering the plot in a way so that is faithful to the book, but a parody all the same. Sorry I wasn't more clear about what I wanted to know Kd2000, I hope this helps you understand better. Thanks for the feedback!

Here are some of the characters.

http://i.imgur.com/L3t9MCc.jpg
Hrothgar's soldiers (I know the costumes aren't historically correct, but these were the only LEGO knights I could get my hands on.
http://i.imgur.com/OKuWlPL.jpg
Beowulf

Last edited by Shawarma Studios (April 11, 2016 (11:42am))

Well, I don't know if too late to suggest this, but perhaps you could make the fight with Grendel's mother rather that Grendel himself?  The fight with Grendel has been done several times, both in major movies and brickfilms.  I think that the battle with the mother is underrepresented in general, in addition to being the more exiting fight in the poem. 
     If you don't like this idea, I totally understand.  I wouldn't worry too much about being different- just make the Lego Beowulf you want to see, and it will turn out fine.
Anyway, I really like your Beowulf figure and look forward to seeing the finished film- gōd hælo!

The Third Arrival is out now!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3749/33174196922_0638c7d7e7_n.jpg
--"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken!"

Thanks for the feedback, I greatly appreciate your suggestions and critique. Your ideas have been taken into consideration, and I am seriously thinking about using them (the idea of a elaborate sword fight does appeal to me more than a stylized wrestling match). I'll be posting some more pictures soon!

I can't wait to see what you come up with! mini/bigsmile I like the idea.

Thank you Raptor! I'm glad you're looking forward to it! By the way, good job on Mixels, I know how hard it is to animate those wacky little guys ( I've tried and failed) but you seem quite good at it. Keep up the good work! mini/smile

Thank you. mini/smile

I just started animating some random fighting tests and stuff before I get back to filming Beowulf, (I wasn't completely satisfied with the first scene, so I'm re shooting). Since I'm restarting anyway, I've been seriously considering using 1999mrlegoman's idea to make the film about the fight between Beowulf and Grendel's mother, rather than Grendel himself. What does everyone think of this idea?

I need some help designing  figures for Grendel and his mother. I've tried many different minfigure parts and designs, but nothing seems quite right.  I would very much appreciate any suggestions or pictures to draw inspiration from.

I apologize for being so inconsistent with my updates, but Beowulf is most certainly still in production. The first scene is coming along surely but slowly, and I'm quite satisfied with my end results.
Some of my best animation to date has been incorporated into this film, as well as an excess of cartoony arm swings (I've become rather obsessed with those) and random cameos.

I got some animating done last night, and I hope to do more today.

A large chunk of the fight scene is complete, as well as some supporting scenes. I would post bts pictures and posters, but whenever I try to log on to Imgur, it just loads forever and never allows me to post anything. Has anyone else had this problem?

I actually don't even have an account, so I don't have that problem. I just upload pictures without one.

I tried that too, but it still seems to be stuck loading. How long does it usually take for you?