Topic: Canons & Cables, what works?

Hello! So I've been animating brickfilms with logitech and other webcams for 7+ years. I would like to "upgrade" to a Canon powershot a640, which i know is an older camera. I personally do not like the flashy DSLRS of today, but thats another story. I've been looking up if the A640 (or new powershots) that work with monkeyjam, (the software i use). Or maybe other programs that would allow me to use that type of camera. I'm on a very low budget but i want to improve my quality in terms of depth of field, focusing, and low light situations. Does anyone know if the Canon powerhots are compatible with Monkeyjam? or if not what could work for me?

Thank you so much!! mini/smile

Austin-Frame5 Studios https://i.imgur.com/6kA5imJ.png

Re: Canons & Cables, what works?

Unfortunately, Canon Powershots are not compatible with MonkeyJam. I believe the A640 comes with a remote capture software so you could use that to capture individual frames. Other than that, you'll have to animate blind.

I definitely wouldn't throw DSLRs out of the equation. Price can definitely be a deterrent and there can be a somewhat steep learning curve but there's really nothing comparable in terms of overall quality.

Any idea of software that works with powershot? Or a possible upgrade?

Willow Tree wrote:

Unfortunately, Canon Powershots are not compatible with MonkeyJam. I believe the A640 comes with a remote capture software so you could use that to capture individual frames. Other than that, you'll have to animate blind.

I definitely wouldn't throw DSLRs out of the equation. Price can definitely be a deterrent and there can be a somewhat steep learning curve but there's really nothing comparable in terms of overall quality.

If you want the convenience of live view you will need a 'flashy DSLR' and a copy of Dragonframe or other DSLR supporting frame grabbing software (which is likely going to cost). If you do want something simpler I really recommend getting a modern logitech, I think the C920 is what folks recommend right now. You might be able to find a way to shoot on your Powershot, but it will likely be limited to blind shooting, this forum seems to think that line of Powershorts has no tethering. Sadly as nice a mirrorless cameras could be for stop motion none of them seem to support tethering so if you want something nicer then a web-camera you will need to get a DSLR or get a costly HDMI capture card and get a camera that supports HDMI out.

If you don't have $800 - $1200 to drop on a camera and capture system webcams are your best option (and that price range is assuming you are getting a cheap $250 - $500 DSLR body, not something fancy)

I have a c920 now, but im frustrated with how it focuses manually. How it leaves such grainy picture in low light. And ideas?

SlothPaladin wrote:

If you want the convenience of live view you will need a 'flashy DSLR' and a copy of Dragonframe or other DSLR supporting frame grabbing software (which is likely going to cost). If you do want something simpler I really recommend getting a modern logitech, I think the C920 is what folks recommend right now. You might be able to find a way to shoot on your Powershot, but it will likely be limited to blind shooting, this forum seems to think that line of Powershorts has no tethering. Sadly as nice a mirrorless cameras could be for stop motion none of them seem to support tethering so if you want something nicer then a web-camera you will need to get a DSLR or get a costly HDMI capture card and get a camera that supports HDMI out.

If you don't have $800 - $1200 to drop on a camera and capture system webcams are your best option (and that price range is assuming you are getting a cheap $250 - $500 DSLR body, not something fancy)

Use more light?

Focuses manually? Do you mean auto focus? Just enable it by ticking the box next to it. I always choose to do everything manually, rather than the camera deciding for me, but if you want everything to work automatically, just enable it.

Last edited by William Osborne (March 23, 2016 (02:37am))

Willow Tree wrote:

Other than that, you'll have to animate blind.

SlothPaladin wrote:

...but it will likely be limited to blind shooting.

What do you mean by animating blind?
I'm currently using a Canon PowerShot A630 and it has a screen that allows you to see what you are capturing, I think it can also be connected to a TV screen for a bigger display (I haven't tried it though).

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/341/32154997096_f26d8af45e_o.jpg

I'm talking about intentionally using low light, like for night scenes and such.

SlothPaladin wrote:

Use more light?

bataton wrote:
Willow Tree wrote:

SlothPaladin wrote:

I'm currently using a Canon PowerShot A630 and it has a screen that allows you to see what you are capturing, I think it can also be connected to a TV screen for a bigger display (I haven't tried it though).

He means like not easily going back to frames you have taken. Yes, you could connect it to a TV for a better view, but you would still have to flip the replay button whenever you wanted to go back to a frame or two. A capture system is a much easier option. In my opinion, you can find a pretty decent DSLR body off Amazon or Ebay for no more than $400. You can worry about the lenses whenever you have more $$$. I think DSLRs are the better path for a brickfilmer. I've also heard that the c920 is a way to go as well, you just have to get use to it. If you think you're getting grainy footage, add some more lights in there. I experienced something like that with my last webcam. Just work on your settings and environment.

Does it need to have a really fancy graphics card? i'm sure mine could handle it, its only a year old.

asianfilms101 wrote:
bataton wrote:
Willow Tree wrote:

SlothPaladin wrote:

He means like not easily going back to frames you have taken. Yes, you could connect it to a TV for a better view, but you would still have to flip the replay button whenever you wanted to go back to a frame or two. A capture system is a much easier option. In my opinion, you can find a pretty decent DSLR body off Amazon or Ebay for no more than $400. You can worry about the lenses whenever you have more $$$. I think DSLRs are the better path for a brickfilmer. I've also heard that the c920 is a way to go as well, you just have to get use to it. If you think you're getting grainy footage, add some more lights in there. I experienced something like that with my last webcam. Just work on your settings and environment.

TopBrick Studios wrote:

I'm talking about intentionally using low light, like for night scenes and such.

For night scenes, usually what you would do, is to put a normal amount of light on the scene, but with the appropriate contrast and color for night, and then lower the exposure setting on the camera or software to make the scene dimmer.

TopBrick Studios wrote:

Does it need to have a really fancy graphics card? i'm sure mine could handle it, its only a year old.

According to Nathan Wells and MindGame, stop motion capture doesn't really need that fast of a computer.
The only reason you would need fancy graphic card would be for really complicated/flashy special effects, advanced 4K or 3D rendering.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

MarkNelsonMovies wrote:
TopBrick Studios wrote:

According to Nathan Wells and MindGame, stop motion capture doesn't really need that fast of a computer.
The only reason you would need fancy graphic card would be for really complicated/flashy special effects, advanced 4K or 3D rendering.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to if he used an HDMI output from his camera to see live view (which would not be efficient for stop-motion). However, most computers don't actually have HDMI-in, unless one has a fancy graphics card or TV tuner chip, or game recording card. However, I may be misunderstanding the meaning of "do I need a fancy graphics card", so if you're referring to needing a graphics card to animate, then don't worry, you don't. I animate on a small laptop and even though it seems to want to blow up every time, it always works.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

TopBrick Studios wrote:

SlothPaladin wrote:

Use more light?

You can use brighter lights in your night scene and make it look dark but less grainy, you would use less gain and faster shutter speeds and you just need to light the set with noticeably brighter lights in a way that looks dark on camera.