Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Also, if you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend Inside Llewyn Davis.

Paycheck
Nah. This was not worth 2 hours of my life.  The concept is pretty cool and it had potential, but it didn't end up very interesting.

Zootopia

I liked it a lot. There's some nice satire and commentary that, while imperfect, goes beyond the norm for this sort of movie.

10 Cloverfield Lane

Really tense and well-made, impressive as a directorial debut for Dan Trachtenberg. Not as much "fun" as I thought it might be compared to the original Cloverfield film, but then it is more of a next installment in an anthology than a sequel. As an indie filmmaker, it was also really neat to see how they made the most of a small cast and number of locations.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Deadpool

4.5/5

This is not another superhero movie that your boyfriend invited you along to, and definitely not one for the kids.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971).

It was on Freeform.  Immediately after the movie, I tuned into the Glenn Beck program.  By serendipity, it was a rebroadcast of his recent CPAC appearance.  In the first 10 minutes, he summarized the story of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory!  Not only that, he is the current owner of the actual "golden ticket" prop held by Charlie Bucket in the movie, and displayed it for everyone!  Pretty cool follow-up!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

Overall I liked it, and I rather enjoyed myself watching it.

I felt that it was a rather interesting approach to introduce Batman later in his career after already having been at it for twenty years, which made him feel a bit fresh compared to other versions of Batman.  Although, I felt that it was a bit weird that he's a killer batman like some of the older film Batmen, without that no executioner rule Bale's Batman had, and yet there wasn't anything to specifically introduce him as such.  I also really liked the music.  That really stood out to me.

As a whole, the film probably takes itself a little bit too seriously.  Although, there was something I liked about that.

The primary thing I didn't like about the film was Lois Lane.  I still don't think that Amy Adams really works for her, and something about every single scene she's in feels awkward.  Plus there's a completely unwarranted scene of her taking a bath which really did not need to be there.

There was also another issue near the end of the film, but it has to do with a spoiler, so this is only for people who saw it:

Spoiler (click to read)

Superman dies in the final battle.  Everyone is sad.  Superman is still dead.  Death is reported by news, whole world is sad, Superman is still dead.  Bruce and co. have a sad funeral.  Superman is still dead.  And then in the final shot of the film it is implied that Superman is really alive in his coffin.  The whole time I was  thinking, ha ha, great, I know he's not dead, you can get up now, Clarke.  This whole fake death cliche happens way too often these days.  It's rather predictable and it's getting really old.  Plus it makes real character deaths harder to believe and it ruins the point of their sacrifice.

I'd say the film has it's flaws, and I can understand why it's been getting some negative reviews, but I couldn't help enjoying it all the same.

After seeing this I would really like it if they made a standalone Batman film with some villains from this Batman's Rogue Gallery.  Batman was the strongest part of this film, and I' like to see more of him without Superman in the way.

Spider-Man 3

I like this film. I think it was pretty good, but not as good as the first two. The fight scenes were done really well in my opinion. mini/smile

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
I didn't really like this. My main complaint is that there was just way too much thrown into the mix and it did not turn out well.
Full review

Saw The Revenant, boy that movie is good; like really good. Rewatched Man of Steel because my girlfriend's roommate hadn't seen it. Boy that movie is bad, like really bad.

Raptor Studios wrote:

Spider-Man 3

I like this film. I think it was pretty good, but not as good as the first two. The fight scenes were done really well in my opinion. mini/smile

I agree. Lot's of people hate it and say there's too many villains but I like it quite a bit.
Speaking of which,

Spider-man (2002)

Very good. One of the best super hero movies, in my opinion. Tobey maguire is a perfect Peter parker/Spider-man. Also, J.K. simmons is great for J. Jonah jameson and the way he and the comic book look J. jonah jameson look exactly the same is uncanny.
I don't know how their gonna top this with the reboot. Because they didn't last reboot.

5/5

Last edited by Smocktopus (March 31, 2016 (06:15pm))

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Batman Vs Superman.
ok, I actually REALLY enjoyed this. it's just epic. and I think just pretty swell, and now, I dont like all movies, I just like the way it was handled. maybe more talking would be good. the Music and Imagery where pretty amazing. I think it also flowed pretty ok. if I where you, I'd go watch it. best Batman I've seen. Best Lex i've seen. Best Superman I've seen. doesnt have the (what i think is) over the top, "everything is going to be ok" of marvel movies....

I personally prefer fun, hopeful superhero movies with colourful costumes and all that, but each to his own.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Star wars EPisode VII: The Force Awakens

This time, in my home on my own hard copy on Blu-Ray!

And in SAD News, Admiral Ackbar (Eric Bakersville) died this same day.

I am going to get it on blu-ray eventually. mini/smile

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Star wars EPisode VII: The Force Awakens

This time, in my home on my own hard copy on Blu-Ray!

And in SAD News, Admiral Ackbar (Eric Bakersville) died this same day.

Yeah, that's sad news. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have one of Star Wars most famous quotes "It's a trap!" He will be missed. I loved the Force Awakens and preordered the DVD to arrive the day it's released. I look forward to watching it again.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
This was a really good film. It stands out from the others, as being close to a spy thriller. A very enjoyable film. One thing I would say, though;
If I were Nick Fury, I probably would just throw my eye patch in a trash can, rather than burning down an entire table (I supose it looked more dramatic than just throwing it away, though mini/lol )

Last edited by William Osborne (April 5, 2016 (03:38pm))

Wasn't Admiral Ackbar in the force awakens? mini/confused

Yeah, he had a small appearance when they were at the Rebel base

You know, my friend Matt used to quote "It's a trap" before it became trendy.

I am very happy today because I just purchased the force awakens! Hopefully I will have time to watch it tonight for the second time since the theater. mini/smile

Just got around to watching Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice today... and in 3D as well! (I used to not be a big fan of Real D 3D, but, after seeing The Force Awakens in that format, I'll always try to schedule seeing one of those special showings from now on. And, honestly, I'd recommend that this movie been seen in 3D, as, a certain character's backstory has a certain shot that may or may not involve a gun - and, I'm certain it would look "flat" and pretty bland in 2d, especially with the exaggerated field of view of that shot.

Anyways, onto my review:

Honestly, by the time the end credits started, I just started to get the feeling that I liked the whole movie... Throughout, however, and even afterward, I feel like the whole picture was just badly presented. I don't think this is the fault of Zach Snider, though, as, the blocking is pretty consistent throughout, and, the actors do stellar jobs themselves... I'd blame this somewhat confusing, very fade to black/cut-happy presentation on David Brenner, the editor. The editing is very poorly done here - it seems like scenes from 3 different movies were just cut together aimlessly, without a solid driving narrative to guide the viewer with until almost 3/4ths into the picture. It seems rather unprofessional, honestly.

Even Guardians of the Galaxy (my least favorite film of all time) had solid editing. No scenes felt out of place there, and, even if I hated that film, I can admit that it at least had a good natural pacing, and made sense. Batman v. Superman, however, isn't so consistent at first, leading to a rocky stitching together of the sub-plots and other elements... At least it all wraps up nicely though.

The opening scene gave me chills. I practically was crying streams by the 5 minute mark, and, let me tell you, that's a really hard (and risky) thing to do/try. Going back to GotG, it failed because the characters there had no weight. I didn't care about the mother, or what would happen to her in the intro. Perhaps it's just because I hadn't read those comics, but the whole thing was uninteresting to me. The walk down the Gotham streets fresh off of a midnight screening, though... that's chilling. I don't think I've show that much emotion early into a film since Disney's UP!

The highlights of the film are easily Jesse Eisenberg's Lex and Ben Affleck's Batman/Bruce Wayne. Eisenberg plays the villain in a scrawny, whimsical, and almost Looney Tunes-ish sort of way. It's actually quite creepy, and, fits the film well. Affleck's Batman, on the other hand, is almost the pinnacle of what a character in Superhero cinema should be!

Spoiler (click to read)

Aside from him being an outright racist against aliens, that is. Ok, we get it, lots of people died in the Metropolis fight from the first film. And, sure, you had to duke it out with Supes in a neanderthalic and semi-pointless battle before you could make up with him, but come on... "If there's even a 1% chance... then we should take it as absolute certainty." I cringed at that line in the trailer, and, it's even worse here in the film. Trust me. That part's pretty stupid, just as the basis of his morals seem to be.

Apart from that minor misstep, however, I think that Affleck plays a great Batman. Perhaps even the best to have ever graced the silver screen at this point... Yeah, I went there. Step aside Val Kilmer, Ben's now my Batman. (just without the Dalek-impersonating voice changer) mini/tongue

Overall, this movie has some AWESOME moments.

Spoiler (click to read)

Superman no-selling Batman's punches after recovering from the Kryptonite, anyone?

mini/tongue I'd say it's a great movie, but, it just didn't seem like a finished product to me. Again, the editing detracted from the actors and story, and, that certainly hurt the film. Similar to 2013's The Lone Ranger: if things had been done just a bit differently (cutting out the weakest link that keeps showing up) it could have been not only a great film, but, an all-time great!

I've heard of a supposed R-rated "Ultimate Edition" cut that's supposed to be coming out. I probably won't see that, though, to be honest. This film is already pretty violent, and, an R-rated cut certainly wouldn't hold as much back. But, perhaps that's the entire editing problem summed up in a nutshell. Perhaps, Zach Snider and the crew MADE an R-rated film to begin with. That would certainly explain the odd editing (especially if scenes that were cut out went in between the gaps). If that is the case, though, I think it's wrong that they cut it down to PG-13 just to get kids in...

As a sit-down experience, Batman v. Superman felt like a 2 and a half hour trailer. It kept fading to black, the music seemed a bit unoriginal (I so miss the days of the Danny Elfman and John Williams scores), and the plot was a bit hard to keep track of in the beginning. But, the film does have some awesome moments. Just to name a few: The new Batcave, a few spots here and there from the Batman and Superman fight itself, and all of the Daily Planet scenes. The negatives are certainly the editing and the script... at least, I think so. I'd rather blame the moments I don't like on the writers rather than the actors, since they knock it out of the park in other areas of the film - some dialogue silent.

Overall, I'd give Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice a 3 and a half out of 5 stars. If I'd gotten a more concise film, with a bit less action, and perhaps more "out of the suit" moments from Bruce, Clark, and Diana, then, it could have been a full 5. As it is, though, the whole was not more than the sum of it's parts.

Even then, that's not to say I didn't enjoy it... because I really did enjoy it.

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png