Topic: Bought new webcam - what is best resolution?

So I got a new Logitech c920 for xmas and I now have so many more screen resolutions available to me.

http://i.imgur.com/h9fc1kF.png

I now don't know what is the best size to use.  Do I do the largest because I can or do I do 1920x1080 because that is common or do I do 800x600 cause my movies are hosted by Youtube.  I don't know - does it even matter?  I'm after quality and clarity so what do you suggest?

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Bought new webcam - what is best resolution?

I'd say go for 2304x1536. It's an odd aspect ratio, but it's tall, so you can pan up or down in a frame if need be. It's larger than 1080p to give you room to crop down in an editor. (And you'll need to crop the top and bottom off the frame to fit your aspect ratio, because if you stretch it, it'll just look ugly).

If you would prefer a 16:9 aspect ratio (in case you can't crop off the top and bottom of the frame), go for 2304x1296. It's 1.2 times larger than 1080p, so you have a bit of room to crop down in an editor if you want to.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I would say 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720. I say this because while the higher resolutions will give you more frame to work with, they will also be larger files, and as a result, may be more memory intensive to work with.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/315234895058173963/400133875549995018/Sig1.png

Thanks guys - this gives me something to think about when I start my next project.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Personally, owning that same exact webcam myself, I'd go with 1920 x 1080, though I guess it would depend on what capture program you're using. When I try taking a frame at the highest resolution in Helium Frog, it crashes the whole program (of course, that's poorly designed free capture software for you). Also, for some reason, when you chose a high resolution like 2304 x 1296, the camera operates at a much lower framerate. I assume that just effects the live view though.

I really don't understand how such a high resolution is even an option, as 1920 x 1080 is the cam's highest advertised resolution. I guess it depends on if your capture program can take it. Just experiment and see what happens.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Also getting the c920 for Christmas, I am currently using 1280x720. It is a very high quality, and I used it for my THAC entry. I can't imagine it would make any difference if you made it a higher resolution, accept for using more memory space on your computer and possibly causing complications.

Last edited by William Osborne (January 7, 2016 (05:16pm))