Re: Star Wars Episode 7 Spoilerific Thread

backyardlegos wrote:
Brickcrazy wrote:

I disagree. Finn not only was beaten by Kylo in a lightsaber fight, but also got trounced by a stormtrooper with a riot control baton. On the other hand, Rey soundly defeated Kylo after picking up a lightsaber for the first time. I never got the impression that Finn was force sensitive in any way while watching the film. Yeah he used a lightsaber a couple times, but that was only because it was the only weapon he had on him.

You can't really compare Finn to Rey; she's clearly the most force sensitive person ever in the universe based on what she did in that movie without training. She used mind control with literally no training after having one vision and winning a staring contest with Kylo. Not to mention force pulling a lightsaber to herself from like 100 yards away; Luke couldn't even do that until halfway through Empire. I mean sheesh.

Well, I was merely responding to Squid, who said that he thought that Finn was a lightsaber type Jedi, while Rey was more of a force type Jedi like Finn. I also compared Finn to Mandalorian Death Watch leader Pre Vizsla, who wielded a lightsaber (well, darksaber, but whatever) way better than Finn, and he was definitely not force sensitive. 

Also I don't have that much of a problem with Rey being seemingly "super force sensitive." After all, the movie is called "The Force Awakens." Plus, Snoke refers to this awakening in a conversation with Kylo. I'm thinking that might have something to do with it, like the force giving her greater than usual abilities for some reason. Besides, there's obviously a lot more about her that we still don't know and that (hopefully) will be answered in the next movie.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

i came back to this forum just bc i knew yall would b super discussoiny abt this movie nice
anyway i really liked it and BB8 is definitely a nonbinary girl droid no matter what the movie says

I think episode 7 treted the force compentently.  I also think that Finn really didn't show force senses, but maybe he has still untapped potential.  Of all the characters, I am interested most as to what they're going to to with Finn in 8 and 9.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I love Finn. And Rey. And every other new character.

I personally liked how they added comedy to this. The last six films, I feel were too serious for my taste, especially episodes 1-3. Still, episodes 4-6 were fun and adventurous. JJ was a good choice because he really cares about the material. I look at the force awakens as the ultimate fan film.

I just wonder where the story is going. I hope they don't start building another starkiller base. It would feel a bit too much like Empire. I hope Rey isn't Luke's daughter because that would be too easy.

Finally saw this after an entire weekend of having the spoilers recited to me at least a dozen times. Some people are so cruel.

Nevertheless, I was still heartbroken upon seeing Han die, and my heart was racing throughout the moments leading up to that point. However, I must concur with some of the posts on Page 1 of this thread. There's a possibility he's still alive. That entire death scene reminded me of the classic "I am your father" bit in Empire. Luke had his arm chopped off, fell out of Cloud City, into the Falcon, and lived. Albeit differences in the execution of the injuries, and the body parts that were harmed, Han could recover. It's not like he was chopped in half or anything.

Snoke specifically ordered Hux to bring him Ren. And we never actually see Ren die. We just see the ground crack in front of him, and the ensuing explosion of the Starkiller Base. In fact, we never see any of the First Order officers die. For all we know, everyone on that Base could have survived. We couldn't have an Episode VIII or IX, if all the bad guys got blown up. Of course, Snoke is alive and well somewhere in the galaxy. And, Hux must know where Ren is.

So, Han must be alive. Remember that voice on D'Qar who said Finn still "has a heartbeat"? Do you remember how we didn't see his face? And don't tell me it was Daniel Craig or Kevin Smith, either. A part of you still has hope that Han's alive. These movies have tried to kill Han off many times before. No trash compactors or frozen blocks of carbonite could get Han Solo to sing his last swan song. So, a lowercase T-shaped lightsaber couldn't have stopped him either!

As for Luke, I was unhappy that Luke was shelved until the 127-minute mark of the movie. He didn't even talk, yet he was still right behind Ford's name in the closing credits. Also, there's no doubt in my mind that he's Rey's dad, but that still doesn't answer the million-dollar question:

Who's Rey's mom?

I really liked the movie. I'm almost willing to forgive the prequels. And that's another thing. I don't think Lucas had anything to do with this movie getting made. Even though we saw the Lucasfilm Ltd. logo at the beginning of the movie, as well as after the credits, my belief is that the logo was only shown in lieu of the Disney logo, which wasn't shown once. Not necessarily because George Lucas had any involvement in this movie, and I don't think he did.

The Force Awakens is not a movie I loved, and albeit a little over-hyped, it is still my second favorite Star Wars movie after Empire. It cannot scale the heights of the originals, but was very well done. J.J. Abrams knew exactly what he was dealing with, didn't overload the movie with his trademark lens flares, and made a crap-ton of box office money. But, most importantly, he made a beautifully-crafted seventh installment in a film series that made cinematic history. And, I can't help but thank him for it.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what Rian Johnson, Colin Trevorrow, and maybe even Gareth Johnson can add to the Star Wars movie franchise. May the force be with them all.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

Nevertheless, I was still heartbroken upon seeing Han die, and my heart was racing throughout the moments leading up to that point. However, I must concur with some of the posts on Page 1 of this thread. There's a possibility he's still alive. That entire death scene reminded me of the classic "I am your father" bit in Empire. Luke had his arm chopped off, fell out of Cloud City, into the Falcon, and lived. Albeit differences in the execution of the injuries, and the body parts that were harmed, Han could recover. It's not like he was chopped in half or anything.

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it. However, thinking over it again, I remembered that: Han fell into the pit; there was only ever one space ship that flew into the pit area, and that fighter blew the pit up; and, finally, the pit that Han fell into was on a planet that turned into a star only a few minutes later. The odds aren't looking to good for Han.

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

My two cents?

I think that it's a safe to say that Star Wars Episode VII is the greatest film of the entire Star Wars saga! It has the enormous world building and spectacular locations just like the prequels, yet carries a dark and emotional character-driven plot like the original trilogy. I would certainly give the film a full 5 stars if it hadn't had a few falters along the way...

funmiproductions wrote:

I personally liked how they added comedy to this.

Unlike funmi, I really, REALLY, hated a lot of the jokes in The Force Awakens. Sure, I'm up for some banter and one-offs here and there, but Oscar Isaac's Poe Dameron is the sequel trilogy's equivalent of Jar Jar Binks... Actually, in my opinion, he's worse! He reeks with the bad writing that I've come to expect from Disney's Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Right from the get-go he starts off with a joke... He's so cocky, he's unlikable (just like Chris Pratt's Starlord from my least favorite film of all time) And, he doesn't really serve to help move the plot along...

Spoiler (click to read)

I know this is a spoiler thread, but, I still like to censor spoilers... funny me, right?

I hated Poe so much, I really had no interest in the rebel pilot's climactic fight above the base toward the end. I wish he actually had been killed with the sinking TIE fighter at the beginning... Besides, that would have given Finn a bit of "motivation" to live his life to the fullest, after watching the defiant rebel laugh to his last...

His droid, BB-8, on the other hand, I LOVED... The moment where Finn flashes him a thumbs-up, and the little droid lights his little torch in the same way - priceless! Probably my all time favorite moment in any Star Wars movie!

Overall, I really, really, really loved this film! And, apart from the falterings with one character (ok, and a single line from Finn about half-way through, but, I actually like him, so, I'll let it slide) this is a pretty close-to-perfect movie. It doesn't drag, and yet, isn't just a battle fest with dull moments of dialogue thrown in in the middle... (Attack of the Clones, anyone?)

Before seeing Star Wars Episode VII, I'll admit, my love of George Lucas's creation had been at an all time low. And, even now, while other Sci-Fi's and Adventures take a bigger place in my heart, The Force Awakens really did awaken the force within me. It's made me remember why I loved Star Wars in the first place - and that truly is something magical.

I can't wait to see VIII!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Dyland wrote:

rebel

Don't you mean resistance?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Legocloniac477 wrote:
Dyland wrote:

rebel

Don't you mean resistance?

No.

Hmm, well, that's interesting Dyland.

I for one love the humor, and while Poe's not being died was a bit convenient and odd, I don't have much of a problem with it. He did big several things for the plot, first, he provides Finn with the jump-start he needs to abandon the First Order, then he provided him with the motivation to fight on in his honor. (Before his return) But his major thing was showing just how powerful Kylo is.

Showing him resist all the other torture, then bow quickly to Kylo's Force-enhanced interrogation was a great way to both establish Poe as being tough and strong, then show the raw power and threat of Ren without making Poe seem weak. Sure, he didn't do that much after his return other than fly around a bit and destroy Starkiller Base, but by that time there were a lot of other characters to worry about.

But, I'm really glad you can live through him, and love the movie in spite of him.

Mickey wrote:

Who's Rey's mom?

http://application.denofgeek.com/pics/film/crimes.starwars/05.jpg

Calling it right now.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Pritchard Studios wrote:

Hmm, well, that's interesting Dyland.

Poe... did big several things for the plot, first, he provides Finn with the jump-start he needs to abandon the First Order, then he provided him with the motivation to fight on in his honor. (Before his return) But his major thing was showing just how powerful Kylo is.

Showing him resist all the other torture, then bow quickly to Kylo's Force-enhanced interrogation was a great way to both establish Poe as being tough and strong, then show the raw power and threat of Ren without making Poe seem weak....

But, I'm really glad you can live through him, and love the movie in spite of him.

I'd certainly appreciate it if he wasn't in VIII, but yeah, he wasn't too much of a problem, since he had so little screen time. My main problem with him is just that I don't think he's being handled correctly (and, so far, though he's a pretty minor character, a movie is only as strong as it's weakest link...)

When he's captured at the beginning, and states something to the effect of

Poe Dameron wrote:

...Do I talk first or you talk first? I talk first?

It seemed like a prime piece of bad writing/character creation to me... (And the fact that everyone else in the theater laughed at it only made me want to boo the line...)

Besides,

Spoiler (click to read)

If he's going to be our "new" Han Solo-esque character for the sequel trilogy...

they could have altered his line to something more like...

Poe Dameron wrote:

Huh... you again? or Huh... what do you want?

Both of those lines seem like they'd fit right in with the Han Solo-like cockiness - which isn't to the point of annoyance, and doesn't make him seem like an all out jerk like character either...

Still though, while I loved the film, this one character had a really lasting negative impact on my movie-going experience. Similar to the Old/Spirit Tonto talking to the young kid at the circus in the 1920's scenes that ruined The Lone Ranger from 2013. I rarely attend Disney-produced films (especially Marvel) any more, since, I think they've lost a step or two... I'd much prefer watching the Disney from my youth, or even before - since, in my opinion, they're just better - and bring me more entertainment. Going to see the new Star Wars made me a bit nervous... because I really didn't want to see that MCU-type writing for any of the characters. And, while I can block a minor character out of my mind to a point, I still know that he was present in the film.

Not to sound ego-centric, but, with characters like Poe Dameron, I almost think I could have done the movie better. (Even if only to replace that pilot with another from the rebels...)

I didn't know Kylo ren was so strong with the force, with him being able to freeze blaster bolts and all. Also, doesn't he know Darth vader turned good? Shouldn't he be obsessed with the Emperor or something?

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

I think he definitely knows Vader was redeemed, but views his redemption as failure and betrayal to the Dark Side. The phrase "I will finish what you started" has many meanings I believe, but I think one of the meanings is that he will complete the task of the Dark Side where Vader failed and kill all of the remaining Jedi. Vader "failed" by not killing or turning Luke to the Dark Side.

For the Rey Skywalker theorist, I'm going to throw a wrench in your thought process: Rey Kenobi

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Lechnology wrote:

For the Rey Skywalker theorist, I'm going to throw a wrench in your thought process: Rey Kenobi

Haha, why? Because she was dropped on a desert planet with someone she didn't know?

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

How do we feel about Rian Johnson doing the next one? I'm still on the fence.

Did they make it so Jedi could marry after what happened to Anakin?

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Those are some, uh, interesting thoughts Dyland. I'm afraid I don't agree, but still, it's actually refreshing to see people dare to criticise the film amid all the internet hype. I love the film, but it does have its flaws (I just don't agree on what they are I'm afraid).

Lechnology wrote:

I'd love it if somehow this could be true. It actually wouldn't surprise me if, between 3 and 4, Obi-Wan had found love in a hopeless place.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Legocloniac477 wrote:
Lechnology wrote:

Haha, why? Because she was dropped on a desert planet with someone she didn't know?

Why Skywalker? Because she was dropped on a desert planet with someone she didn't know?

Smocktopus wrote:

Did they make it so Jedi could marry after what happened to Anakin?

Who said anything about marriage? Obi-wan could have had a one-night stand.

Besides, Obi-wan would have left the Jedi Order for Duchess Satine in The Clone Wars (canon).  Also, after Order 66, the Jedi Order was likely disbanded and what remaining Jedi went into hiding.  You can't expect Yoda, Obi-wan, etc. to stick to their Jedi vows after the Jedi Purge.

How about Rey Skywalker-Kenobi?

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png