Topic: Canon T3i, first time using for brickfilming need advice and help!

Hey guys as the title says, I have recently purchased the Canon T3i I love the camera, and would love to use it for brickfilming while I will be using it also for some live filming and photography.

Heres my question, upgrading from a HD webcam to a DSLR can be bit daunting, good news is I am learning curve by curve of the DSLR which is great however with photos and the format and etc how does that work?

So heres my questions,

1.) I have dragonframe, I assume I just plug in my camera to the computer via usb cable and connect my camera to dragonframe? Also I bought this camera second hand, I don't have the CDs to it, do I need it at all? If so can I get them?

2.) What settings do you guys use, do you shoot in raw/jpeg, high quality jpeg, standard jpeg, jpeg and raw? Please give me the best and fastest method to avoid further hours editing if I don't need to.

3.) F-stops, Apertures, while I am aware of what they do I wanted to get your opinions on it, I am in a dark room no light enters besides two lamps that are on. One on the back one on the table. Would ISO 400 suffice? whats a good shutter speed to stick with?

4.) White balance, leave it as auto or customize white balance to match the right colors to the room? (Important to me)

5.) What can I do in regards to charging the battery while filming? I am aware of using a battery grip and have ordered one, what about adapters tho? Can I leave it charging while making use of it? Will it damage my cameras batter and potential battery life?

6.) Anything else I possibly have missed or you can add in, that would be great.

Thank you in advance, I am really excited and I just want too be on the right track, you guys are great and I know a lot of yous do you use DSLRs, some in particular the T2i and T3i, so any advice any at all is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Canon T3i, first time using for brickfilming need advice and help!

Divine wrote:

1.) I have dragonframe, I assume I just plug in my camera to the computer via usb cable and connect my camera to dragonframe? Also I bought this camera second hand, I don't have the CDs to it, do I need it at all? If so can I get them?

Correct. If it turns out you need the drivers for the T3i, you can download them from the Canon website.

Divine wrote:

2.) What settings do you guys use, do you shoot in raw/jpeg, high quality jpeg, standard jpeg, jpeg and raw? Please give me the best and fastest method to avoid further hours editing if I don't need to.

I've recently switched over to shooting RAW. However, it isn't required. RAW is very useful if you want to do a lot of color grading in post production. The downside is RAW files take up a significant amount of space. Previously I shot high quality JPG or TIFF, and those worked fine for me.

Divine wrote:

3.) F-stops, Apertures, while I am aware of what they do I wanted to get your opinions on it, I am in a dark room no light enters besides two lamps that are on. One on the back one on the table. Would ISO 400 suffice? whats a good shutter speed to stick with?

A higher ISO means more grain, so try to keep your ISO fairly low. As for everything else, it entirely depends on how you want to expose, light and focus the shot. There really is no set standard. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for each shot.

Divine wrote:

4.) White balance, leave it as auto or customize white balance to match the right colors to the room? (Important to me)

Definitely do a custom white balance.

Divine wrote:

5.) What can I do in regards to charging the battery while filming? I am aware of using a battery grip and have ordered one, what about adapters tho? Can I leave it charging while making use of it? Will it damage my cameras batter and potential battery life?

Get an AC adapter. They aren't cheap but it's a must for animation. Otherwise you'll burn through batteries in no time and your camera will die halfway through a shot.

Divine wrote:

6.) Anything else I possibly have missed or you can add in, that would be great.

Experiment! It will take some time to get used to using a DLSR. Experiment with exposure, lighting, focus, camera placement, lens (if you have more than one), white balance, everything! Don't try to shoot an important shot immediately. Take your time to get to know your camera.

1. Just plug in your camera via USB then open Dragonframe. If it decides to connect to your computer webcam for some reason, you can change the connection in a menu at the top (I forget the name of the menu). You don't need the CDs, but if you want the EOS Utility, you can download it from the Canon website, just go to the page of your camera and look under the downloads.

2. I most of the time shoot in Small Fine JPG. It's larger than 1080p, so I have a bit of crop room. That's the easiest and fastest method of shooting. Lately, I've been shooting in Large standard JPG so I can render in 4K someday (If my editor would just support it haha). It's slower, takes up more space, but is sometimes worth it.

3. The best rule is to keep the ISO as low as possible, and lengthen the shutter speed it you want it brighter. Of course, there are times when you don't want to wait three seconds for a picture to take, so you just up your ISO, but never exceed 400 if you can help it, because it gets grainy after that. I can't say the exact shutters peed or ISO you'll need, because it all varies between shots. Experimentation is key.

4. Never leave white balance Auto. It'll change the color of your shots between frames. Set it to something that looks best with your lights. I usually keep mine on Florescent. Then, if I need to adjust colors, I do it in post.

5. I'd say buy an AC adapter. They fit into the battery slot and plug into the wall. The Kapaxen brand one I bought has been working well (though, if you dont want to take risks, buy an official canon one, but it'll be more expensive). Of course, you could buy two batteries and keep one charged constantly, but that's more hassle and cost than just buying an adapter.

6. Just remember to keep everything you can on manual, and if you're changing lenses, don't touch the insides of the camera or let dust in (I'm guilty of the dust, unfortunately).

I look forward to what you create with your DSLR!

EDIT: Nathan beat me to the post mini/tongue

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Haha rio, I love how similar our posts are. Great minds think alike! mini/mrgreen

Nathan Wells and Rioforce,

Thank you both for your excellent posts while both are very similiar they were both very very helpful and answered my questions perfectly! mini/lol

I will definitely take the time to explore through my DSLR and have already ordered a battery grip, extra battery, and will be ordering a AC adapater as well, being so expensive ordering from Canon alone I will be buying a third party one that is compatible with Canon.

Thanks again guys and I look forward to showing off my stuff soon mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Hi guys finally got excited and was ready to test out the camera on Dragon frame, I installed the EOS Utility along with all the other programs the camera came with.

The problem I am having is I can only have one of the two programs on at any time I don't understand this, so for example if I have dragonframe on and the camera is connected to the computer via usb, it'll work fine then when I try to open the EOS utility to adjust the cameras settings it gives me an error saying cannot communicate with the camera please check the connection.

If its done the other way around, for example opening up the EOS utility before I open up dragonframe, it works fine. Then when I go to open dragonframe, it gives me message errors saying, battery low consider recharging camera, and switch camera to manual mode, of course I can just press ESC and it goes away, thing is my camera isn't low batt and its always in manual, also it just saids acquiring video and it never seems to load the camera.

This didn't happen when I used the C920 can anyone please help me and tell me what I can do.. I've literally spent the last 40 minutes trying to figure it out with no luck mini/sad

Please anyone who can help I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Yeah don't use those at the same time. There is a programming reason why this is the case. It basically has to do with the Canon SDK not having the ability to share a connection.

Divine wrote:

Hi guys finally got excited and was ready to test out the camera on Dragon frame, I installed the EOS Utility along with all the other programs the camera came with.

The problem I am having is I can only have one of the two programs on at any time I don't understand this, so for example if I have dragonframe on and the camera is connected to the computer via usb, it'll work fine then when I try to open the EOS utility to adjust the cameras settings it gives me an error saying cannot communicate with the camera please check the connection.

You adjust the camera settings within Dragonframe, in the Cinematography tab at the top. You should watch ForlornCreature's tutorial on Dragonframe, he explains it pretty well. Two softwares cannot use the same camera at once, because the camera can only send one video feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvPeaGgU32E

Divine wrote:

If its done the other way around, for example opening up the EOS utility before I open up dragonframe, it works fine. Then when I go to open dragonframe, it gives me message errors saying, battery low consider recharging camera, and switch camera to manual mode, of course I can just press ESC and it goes away, thing is my camera isn't low batt and its always in manual, also it just saids acquiring video and it never seems to load the camera.

I bolded the error messages. I have had this happen (especially the consider charging battery) on my power adapter, and it's not a problem, because it doesn't know that it's not a power adapter. Tell me if it keeps doing this after you try using Dragonframe without the EoS Utility open. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

Thank you for your comments AquaMorph and RioForce.

I got carried away with thinking it was the same as the webcam software.

Big thank you to RioForce, I managed to get it all working with your advice! So thank you very much for that!
Everything is back in order and I have checked out the video which was very very helpful. I do have just one final question thats on my mind and I really don't know what to do for it.

I just wanted to ask, (I apologize if it is silly) but I wanted to know what is the best format to shoot in (in dragonframe) ForlornCreature said he was using Large fine Jpeg I think it was? But he said it was 5k resolution, I normally shoot in 1280x720 so I was a bit confused about this how does that work? Do I just shrink it when I put it in my editing software? Or is there another way?

Also one last thing, the white balance which is a big thing I want to get out of the way, he didn't mention the manual use of white balance, do I just press 3 while selected on Manual to get the right WB? Cause I tried but I pressed test shot, and I don't think anything happened.

Besides that, I do want to say I have worked out my right exposure, aperture, f stop and shutter speed so thats all good just those last 2 things I don't know.

Once again thank you for your comments and all the help!

Sincerely,
Divine.

Divine wrote:

I just wanted to ask, (I apologize if it is silly) but I wanted to know what is the best format to shoot in (in dragonframe) ForlornCreature said he was using Large fine Jpeg I think it was? But he said it was 5k resolution, I normally shoot in 1280x720 so I was a bit confused about this how does that work? Do I just shrink it when I put it in my editing software? Or is there another way?

Yeah I shoot in 4.6K and in my editing software shrink it down to 4K. It's really up to you what final resolution you want. I personally shoot RAW photos and just JPEG but that takes up a lot of space so some people just chose to shoot JPEG.

Divine wrote:

Also one last thing, the white balance which is a big thing I want to get out of the way, he didn't mention the manual use of white balance, do I just press 3 while selected on Manual to get the right WB? Cause I tried but I pressed test shot, and I don't think anything happened.

I'm not really sure about that since I always just edit the white balance in post which is one of the many advantages of shooting RAW.

Divine wrote:

Thank you for your comments AquaMorph and RioForce.

I got carried away with thinking it was the same as the webcam software.

Big thank you to RioForce, I managed to get it all working with your advice! So thank you very much for that!
Everything is back in order and I have checked out the video which was very very helpful. I do have just one final question thats on my mind and I really don't know what to do for it.

No problem, I'm glad I could help out a fellow animator. mini/smile

Divine wrote:

In your editor (IDK what you use, but it's the same basic process with almost every editor), you crop the top and bottom off each frame in order to achieve the aspect ratio you want to use (for example, 16:9 or 2.35:1). Since Large JPG shoots 5K, you can render out 4K video (though, most consumer level editors don't support that). If you render in 720p (which is 1280x720), then you should just use Small JPG (preferably fine jpg). But in reality, you can render out 1080p (1920x1080) with Small JPG. For larger resolutions, shoot in larger JPG, but from what I'm hearing from you, you don't need to shoot in large JPG (but you can always change your mind later).

(I hope that makes sense)

Divine wrote:

I'm confused what you mean, but I'll try to answer it the best I can.

The white balance is set below where you set the aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. Just make sure it isn't on Auto and you're fine. Like I said earlier, I recommend Florescent.

Pressing NUMPAD 3 goes to the live view, whether on the Cinematography or on Animation windows. Pressing Enter takes a photo, whether on Cinematography or Animation. Test shot takes a picture and puts it in the test folder (you probably know all this stuff already).

I hope I explained it, I'm not sure if that'd very clear. Ask again if you need more info. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

Hey Rioforce,

Thank you again for your response reading through it does make a bit of sense, I'm sure what you say makes perfect sense but for me I'm still figuring this out, as I have moved from webcam to DSLR these things were never an issue or a thing to bring up.

For programs I use Adobe Premier and Sony Vegas 13. I prefer Vegas, but I am now learning Premier, I wanted to ask if I shoot in Large Jpeg, for example in dragonframe should I have a ratio set on dragonframe as well? And if I do, will it effect my film as in what I can see between the ratio (between the square that covers the 16:9 ratio or the 2:1 ratio).

So when I export image sequence, and put it into Premier do I need to set up ratio again? even if its already done in Dragonframe? I was confused there. So I know what I will see and what I will lose.

I'll use florescent then mini/smile For the white balance, the only reason I was asking was I worried if shooting at night or even day for that matter even tho thats not really ever the case, but I wanted to know if I had it manually set would it make a difference, I take it tho setting a white balance besides auto is a form of manual in that sense.

Thanks again, thats the last thing thats currently on my mind bud.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Divine wrote:

For programs I use Adobe Premier and Sony Vegas 13. I prefer Vegas, but I am now learning Premier, I wanted to ask if I shoot in Large Jpeg, for example in dragonframe should I have a ratio set on dragonframe as well? And if I do, will it effect my film as in what I can see between the ratio (between the square that covers the 16:9 ratio or the 2:1 ratio).

So when I export image sequence, and put it into Premier do I need to set up ratio again? even if its already done in Dragonframe? I was confused there. So I know what I will see and what I will lose.

Ideally, you should set the aspect ratio mask to whatever you are filming in. This way, you can frame shots so they look good with the ratio. But the aspect ratio mask is just an overlay on Dragonframe. The raw files are unaffected by the mask, they still take at full size.

If you export as image sequence, I'm pretty sure (not positive) that it will apply this aspect ratio mask and crop your images to whatever aspect ratio you set it to. However, I personally don't recommend exporting as a sequence from Dragonframe. In your Dragonframe project folder, there'll be the take folder, then the exposure folder (it'll end with X1, if it's the first exposure, so if you were on the 7th take, and first exposure, the folder would look like Project_07_X1). That's where the raw frames are saved to. I recommend importing these raw images as a sequence into Vegas or Premiere then crop the top and bottom off the image to achieve the aspect ratio you were shooting in. This allows you a bit of expandability if you wanted to crop in a bit, or move the frame up or down a bit.

Divine wrote:

I'll use florescent then mini/smile For the white balance, the only reason I was asking was I worried if shooting at night or even day for that matter even tho thats not really ever the case, but I wanted to know if I had it manually set would it make a difference, I take it tho setting a white balance besides auto is a form of manual in that sense.

Florescent isn't mandatory, I just personally find (and know others that feel this same way) that it works best with certain lamps. If it looks off to you and you found a different one, change it, just as long as it's not manual. I'm confused by shooting or night or at day, do you mean shooting night and day lighting in-set, or shooting night or day in real life? Either way, the white balance shouldn't change this, since your lamps will be setup to simulate the proper lighting and all other lights and windows will be unlit.

I'm glad I could help, keep the questions coming if you need anything else, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability (or if anyone else wants to speak up they can mini/lol)

YouTubeWebsite

Hey Rioforce,

I have a better understanding in aspect ratios now, infact I did test it out and what I noticed was as you said it does apply the ratio mask, but when I take a test shot it still ends up as the full image. One thing I did notice was trying 16:9 ratio the amount of room to film seemed so limited, and so small probably because I'm use to shooting without a proper ratio mini/tongue

Rioforce wrote:

I personally don't recommend exporting as a sequence from Dragonframe.

Can you help me out with this? Because I noticed ForlonCreature took takes as well, but I don't understand how it works and what they are for. Generally speaking I would shoot everything in one folder/scene and then export it as an image sequence then import them from premier. So if you could tell me what the best way is (the way you have described) and what takes do that'd be awesome man.

Sorry for all the questions, but to be honest last night I did start filming with the camera and I absolutely adore it.. So much difference compared to a webcam.

I also got my AC adapter today which is just great, my only concern was overheating the camera, or damaging the battery of the camera, you know when you charge your phone and continue to use it? It kind of consumes its life and makes the battery shorter when you unplug it? That kind of thing.

Well Florescent ended up being the kind of effect my webcam was using and looks actually natural so I'm very happy with it.

Rioforce wrote:

I'm confused by shooting or night or at day, do you mean shooting night and day lighting in-set, or shooting night or day in real life?

Sorry I should have clarified I meant when shooting at day or night in real time (real life) does it make a difference, but you did answer it.

Rioforce wrote:

I'm glad I could help, keep the questions coming if you need anything else, and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability

Ha-ha, bro I really do appreciate everything you've said and for answering all my questions its been really helpful and has motivated me to get out alot more from the camera as I said I've started filming as of last night and having a blast, without these questions answered I'd still probably be trying to figure it out and would be rather upset. So thank you for sticking by me.
I'm very happy to hto be part of a great community of brickfilmers with the same spirit and love for brickfilming so its awesome mini/smile

Sincerely,
Divine.

Divine wrote:
Rioforce wrote:

I personally don't recommend exporting as a sequence from Dragonframe.

Can you help me out with this? Because I noticed ForlonCreature took takes as well, but I don't understand how it works and what they are for. Generally speaking I would shoot everything in one folder/scene and then export it as an image sequence then import them from premier. So if you could tell me what the best way is (the way you have described) and what takes do that'd be awesome man.

TL;DR, a Take is the easy way of taking more shots without making new projects.

But, if you do want to read it all, I'll outline it for you:

• You open Dragonframe, click New Scene, name it, pick a number (this is the take number!) and pick a folder

• You take a photo

• The photo is saved in the location you saved your scene project.

• You Conform the Take when you finish the shot (this cleans up the files, deletes the deleted ones, etc)

The folder structure is as follows:
  -PROJECT.dgn (Your project folder)
    -PROJECT_Take_001 (The take within your project)
      -PROJECT_01_X1 (The exposure folder, where the raw frames are actually stored)

The project is, well, the project. Within a project, there's a sub-project of sorts. This is called a Take. You can use this Take to film a new shot in, or to reshoot a shot without deleting the other one. This makes it easy, because you don't have to have an entirely new .dgn project for every single shot. The Exposure folder is simply how Dragonframe sorts it. Some professional animators take multiple exposures for each frame (for example, HDR photos or 3D photos), so their frames would be under X1, X2, X3, etc. But for us simple animators, we use one exposure, (X1). That's where the frames are stored.

You take these frames and import them directly into your video editor. This saves harddrive space, because instead of going through the Dragonframe GUI and exporting the frames, you simply use the raw frames in editing. I hope I explained that right, it's really late.

Divine wrote:

I also got my AC adapter today which is just great, my only concern was overheating the camera, or damaging the battery of the camera, you know when you charge your phone and continue to use it? It kind of consumes its life and makes the battery shorter when you unplug it? That kind of thing.

Very valid concerns. Overheating? I don't know, you'll just have to try it and keep an eye on it. It'll get warm, but IDK about overheating. Making the battery life shorter? No, that won't happen (most likely, I'm no expert), because you won't have your battery in your camera when using the AC adapter (your AC adapter does go into the battery slot, right?). An adapter can only kill the battery life if the battery is actually in.

I hope this helps, I'm happy to save you that frustration you were talking about. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

Thank you Rioforce!

You have answered everything perfectly. I now can do the takes which is very useful as I use to have so many different folders! mini/lol

because you won't have your battery in your camera when using the AC adapter (your AC adapter does go into the battery slot, right?).

You're exactly right. I thought about that and then realized it did come with its own battery.

Rioforce wrote:

I hope this helps, I'm happy to save you that frustration you were talking about.

this helped a lot, I really do appreciate it thank you Rioforce! mini/smile You've answered everything which is more than I could ask. Now I'm going to get into making some brick films!

Sincerely,
Divine.