Topic: Lego Doctor Who sets.

After years of pining and countless custom Tardis and doctors and villains, Lego Doctor Who sets arrive in time for Christmas. Thoughts?

Re: Lego Doctor Who sets.

Pretty cool.  They will hopefully help inspire a lot more Doctor Who animations, and when the greats get their hands on these sets, who knows what will happen.

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Personally, I think LEGO should make less licensed theme sets and make some more original stuff because I think original brickfilms are more fun to make and watch.

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Good point Tims Videos.

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Tims Videos wrote:

Personally, I think LEGO should make less licensed theme sets and make some more original stuff because I think original brickfilms are more fun to make and watch.

Sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense.  LEGO making more Licensed themes has precisely zero impact upon the kind Brickfilms being made.  I've used bricks and minifig parts from Licensed themes to build completely original sets and characters for my films, and I've built countless LEGO renditions of sets and characters from pre-existing IPs using bricks from non-Licensed themes.

It's not the type of bricks being sold that matter.  The only thing that matters is what you make with them.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I agree with Mr Vertigo. I actually have a sheet of ideas from when I bought a bunch of Hobbit sets about what some of the more unique (and supposedly singular in purpose) minifigures could be 'recycled' for. I'm more than happy to share some of those, or some of my ideas for minifigures and parts from other themes.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I agree it is what you make them, but most of the time people make licensed brickfilms instead of using the parts to make original ones.

I agree with Vertigo as well. LEGO would have gone bankrupt years ago if they hadn't used licensed themes to bring them back. While I don't like every one of the themes, I think that some are cool, and I wouldn't mind having some sets from certain themes. Especially the bricks inside the sets, that's usually my main purpose for buying a set.

As for the Doctor Who sets, I didn't think they were actual sets, but were just LEGO Dimensions add-ons. Are there actual sets now?

Tims Videos wrote:

I agree it is what you make them, but most of the time people make licensed brickfilms instead of using the parts to make original ones.

It's their choice to make licensed brickfilms. If that's what they like to do, let them do it! They are having fun, and really, that's what brickfilming is all about to a lot of people. Getting rid of licensed themes will not change anything, people have made IP brickfilms before the themes were out. People were making LEGO Minecraft, Superheroes, Indiana Jones, etc etc etc long before the official sets were released. I mean, just look up LEGO Doctor Who brickfilms on YouTube, the sets aren't out yet, but there are plenty of the films.

Last edited by rioforce (August 28, 2015 (08:11am))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Yeah, I even made a Doctor Who brickfilm once. it was terrible mini/lol . Sometimes licensed brickfilms are good and I didn't say I hated them, I just prefer originality.

I have decide to loosen up on my views of unoriginal videos because I really like this and I am looking forward  to this. So I don't care if it's original or not, if it's good, I will watch it.

https://dp1eoqdp1qht7.cloudfront.net/community/blogs/1/2133010-o_1a0slv7l227fqec11ka1rmkk9f-blog-huge.jpg

Blog post with all the juicy details.

So, I LOVE the build. It's amazing. No complaints there.
The Weeping Angel is good, and I really like all the leg prints, but I feel 11's face/hair aren't right, and the Daleks are about the worst attempt as such a thing that I've ever seen. And now I have to look into getting the Dimensions version of 12 to get my preferred outfit. Thanks Lego, you've managed to trick me out of even more of my money...

But who cares about the negatives? It's a Lego Doctor Who set, of course I'm going to buy the over-priced thing.
And look, a fez!

This set is cool but the Angel's wings shouldn't look like that, at all. Also, no Ten? Shame.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

I think this set looks great, I especially like how they did 11's face, it looks especially accurate. I don't really like 12's look at all, he doesn't look like his person. I find it interesting that the set is only roughly based on the original Ideas project, unlike most of the others where the have been more spot-on in design translation. I won't be buying it, but it sure is cool to look at!

Legocloniac477 wrote:

Also, no Ten? Shame.

Also, no Nine? Shame. ... Also, no Four? Shame. ... Also, no One? Shame. ...

(you get the picture, this could go on and on and on mini/tongue )

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

Also, no Nine? Shame. ... Also, no Four? Shame. ... Also, no One? Shame. ...

(you get the picture, this could go on and on and on mini/tongue )

I feel like Tenny was the most iconic Doctor from the reboot series, so I also find it somewhat surprising that he isn't included.

What LEGO could do is have a whole minifigure series of just Doctors. Then we would be able to collect them all.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

semicolonstudios wrote:

I feel like Tenny was the most iconic Doctor from the reboot series, so I also find it somewhat surprising that he isn't included.

What LEGO could do is have a whole minifigure series of just Doctors. Then we would be able to collect them all.

If this set is popular enough, TLC might very well put together a series of minifigures.
(Kinda like what they did with "The Simpsons.")

Just makes sense from a financial standpoint from their perspective.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

dewfilms wrote:
semicolonstudios wrote:

If this set is popular enough, TLC might very well put together a series of minifigures.
(Kinda like what they did with "The Simpsons.")

Just makes sense from a financial standpoint from their perspective.

They have the rights for it, to, since that knockoff Lego brand lost the license.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

These look cool.