Topic: Looking For a Skilled Animator

Hey everyone,
For the past year-and-a-half, I've been working on a novel. It's a social commentary about morality and the like (I won't go into too many details here). Anyway, I hope someday to do this as a film, because there's a lot of action and drama and I think it might do well. There is one scene in particular I'd like to see in film form.

SO, I'm looking for a skilled brickfilmer to shoot this scene. I will be happy to arrange voice acting and all of that, but I haven't the animation skills to do the project justice.  mini/tongue

There is, unfortunately, a catch (maybe). The stance I'm taking on morality in my story (The idea of "tolerance" in particular), does not conform to many people's ways of thinking. However, people who might agree with my statement could have objections to some of the content in the film (i.e. brief language, violence, and innuendo).

Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

Re: Looking For a Skilled Animator

and are you planning on giving this 'skilled animator' monetary compensation? Many of the best animators on this site are also freelancers and I'm sure the only tolerance they have an issue with is the tolerance for doing professional work on someone else's passion project for 'exposure'

Unfortunately no. I am not in an economic position to be able to offer enough to make it worthwhile to anyone in it for the proverbial "big bucks." I was hoping to peak the interest of someone who enjoys the animation process, and who might be interested in telling a story that is (in my very biased oppinion) pretty good.

And I'm not saying it would need to be Mindgame Studios, or anything (though I am a massive fan of his work.) Just someone who can produce better material than the garbage I am only barely capable of grinding out.

Does that help explain at all?

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

You have given a vague overview of story you have, and the stance you take is very unclear. If you could somehow elaborate on the position taken in the book or maybe give a script to link that would give the animators here a better understanding of what they would have to do, and what they are getting themselves into.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Sounds like a big question to ask someone!

Last edited by William Osborne (August 2, 2015 (12:35pm))

That is a ton to ask someone, if you expect to get anyone to animate it for free they need to be REALLY excited about the material, more excited about the story then any idea they are kicking around. I see a minuet of animation as about a month of work and asking someone to spend a month or more of there time on YOUR ideas without even telling them what those ideas are is a really tough sell. If you expect someone to get interested in the project you need to post the script or enough of it to get someone hooked on the idea.

Everyone who animates has heard someone get really excited and say, 'You know what would make a really great animation!' and then proceeds to excitedly tell you about the dumbest most boring sounding idea in the history of space and time. You need to remember anyone who is a "skilled brickfilmer" as you put it, is probably already pretty jaded when it comes to other people suggesting ideas and right now all we have to go on is some vague topical Upworthy-esqu sounding list of buzz words.

Thanks for all of the comments, thoughts, opinions, and suggestions.

Allow me to elaborate on the premise of my story (and the position which I take): My story is set in a dystopian world, where society is in a state of anarchy. The film would open the main characters are being chased and are forced to hide inside a church. Inside, a man seeks to marry a 7th wife, asking the local priest to marry them---as a formality, only. When the priest suggests that he already has enough wives, the man becomes threatening, claiming that the priest is just a horrible person, intolerant of his lifestyle. He murders the priest in the end. Noticing the main characters, he threatens them before leaving the church, dragging his unfortunate wife along with him.

That's the semi-detailed outline. I want this film to get people talking about the idea of "tolerance." PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND, tolerance is a good thing, and we need it. Just look at the Middle East! However, my story serves as a cautionary tale: how far can we take this idea of tolerance before it becomes harmful to society? At what point should we stop "tolerating" actions we disagree with. It's an important question, and one that demands discourse.

So is that helpful at all? I understand that this is a HUGE thing to ask of any animator. That's why I put this thread out here; just trying to see if anyone would be interested, or if I could generate any interest. If it doesn't work out, that's fine. Without ambition, nothing would ever get done.

Well, that certainly is a touchy subject. And you're holding to the increasingly unpopular stance. (One I hold to as well.)

I think you may be best off really working on your own skills, then doing the film yourself.

Like you said, it's going to be hard finding someone that is willing to animate a short that takes this position on 'tolerance,' yet also is fine with the language and other content. I'm not saying there isn't somebody out there, but with brickfilming being so niche anyway, and the issue being so controversial, and no monetary compensation involved, it'll be nigh impossible with the script as it is.

You (And the animator) will have to be prepared to take some heat for the film as well. Not as much here, but the more you show it around, the more people won't like it. If you do find someone, make sure he's ok with that, and willing to stick it out.

It's not often that you see a film on this side of the issue, so I would like to see it completed.
But again, this may be something you have to do yourself.

And a note on the story:
If the man doesn't care about killing the priest, why would he then be 'moral' enough to want to be married that badly?
Be sure you give proper motivation, otherwise it'll come off as really forced and unnatural just to get a 'preachy' message across. Making everything flow naturally will be the toughest part of the film. And the one you'll have to nail perfectly.

@ Pritchard

Thank you for your input. Yes, I understand it is a rather touchy subject, and that my view is unpopular. I'm simply trying to present it in a logical (if hypothetical) fashion; too much of a good thing can be unhealthy. If the rules of society are variable, can we ever object to anything and still be justified? Anyway, I know that I'll take heat for my belief, and I am prepared to do so. Finding an animator who is, is a different story. And if I have to try to manage by myself, so be it.

As to your "note on the story":
The dialogue is able to mask the "preachy-ness" of the scene. I can't stand FB commenters who are just like "Why can't u see that u need the Lord He is good He is coming back AMEN" and then start gouging out peoples eyes with Bible verses. While I agree with what they have to say, I am admittedly somewhat angered by their presentation. So the last thing I want to do is sound "preachy." But I do want to present my message boldly.

So my dilemma still stands, but I am getting a good idea of how to present and discuss ideas for the future.