Topic: Fist Fight Help!

I have struggled for a very long time trying to creating a convincing fist fight. Nothing I've done ever looks good and I'm constantly knocking my minifigs over, even with sticky-tack. This is mainly due to the webcam I use, it has no zoom so to get a close shot the camera has to be that close. Which leads to me trying to animate without bumping the camera, and it's incredibly frustrating. Scaling up the layer to get a closer shot doesn't work either, the photo quality is too low. I know the answer to this is probably a new camera (which I will be getting within the next month), but my current project requires fist fights.

Does anybody have any tips or suggestions to help me with fist fights?

Last edited by Mosh5256 (July 31, 2015 (10:50am))

Re: Fist Fight Help!

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (12:06pm))

Formerly known as HeliumBrick

I would not suggest that you spend the money on a new camera, just to help with this issue. I have done fight scenes, using a webcam, and had them turn out well. It just takes a lot of patience and practice. Even if the figure falls over, just pick him back up, and figure out how to perfectly balance him. Another tip that is key to fist fights, is to ease in and out of movements. It can also help to follow the movent with the camera. Both of these tips are better explained in tutorials by Fancypants. I'll add links a little later.
Not sure if this is the best answer, but hopefully, it can help.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

Thanks! I am not getting the camera just for this issue by the way.

You don't need to get ultra close to have a good fight scene, it might be hard, but using wider angles is an option and if done right can actually be more impressive, I actually suggest watching kung-foo movies and stuff that features hand to hand combat, watch the video essay I posted and think about timing and reactions from the minifigs. if you take a look at Grace often the most impressive bits of fighting are done in wide shots.

Thanks! I'll look into doing that more.