Re: BRAWL 2015

Only 24 hours until the start of the contest!

Former BRAWL host, 2013-2017
             Youtube   Twitter

/

Formerly known as HeliumBrick

As I predicted. I took one look at the contests and festivals forums and became depressed due to my lack of participation. mini/sad

YouTube Channel Edmeier Animation
Email: [email protected]

Since the live-action segment is done in my current project, I'm going to attempt to do this, and see what result comes of it!

/

Last edited by Noah (July 18, 2015 (12:39pm))

For some reason I thought BRAWL was starting on the 26th, not ending. mini/confused  Rather awkward, as I only just realised that it's a week earlier than I thought.

Still, I'm tempted to enter.  I'm in the midst of doing a bunch of other stuff, though, so my time might be considerably more limited that last year.

Anyway, I have a question: would using transparent red pieces as brick-built blood spatters be considered to be "graphic violence", or would I be in the clear if I did that?  I'm not necessarily intending to actually try this out, but I'm curious to know just in case.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

/

Mr Vertigo wrote:

Anyway, I have a question: would using transparent red pieces as brick-built blood spatters be considered to be "graphic violence", or would I be in the clear if I did that?  I'm not necessarily intending to actually try this out, but I'm curious to know just in case.

It would be considered graphic, but I'll point out a word that's very important in the rules.

Rules & Requirements wrote:

• Films may not contain... ...excessive graphic violence (blood and/or gore)...

With that in mind, films can contain a small amount of blood and gore if it's used in a tasteful context. It may not be excessive. It's difficult to give a definitive definition of what excessive is since it's very subjective.

An example of excessive violence would be a film like this. Where a tasteful use of LEGO blood might be a crime scene aftermath where there are a couple small pools of blood.

Youtube   Twitter

3 and a half hours left until a week of mayhem!!  mini/bigsmile

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

/

Last edited by Noah (July 18, 2015 (03:16pm))

45 minutes? When does it begin?

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

It begins on the next hour. About 16 minutes from my time of posting.

I hope you guys are ready   mini/wink

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

Fun Sucker wrote:

It would be considered graphic, but I'll point out a word that's very important in the rules.

Rules & Requirements wrote:

• Films may not contain... ...excessive graphic violence (blood and/or gore)...

With that in mind, films can contain a small amount of blood and gore if it's used in a tasteful context. It may not be excessive. It's difficult to give a definitive definition of what excessive is since it's very subjective.

An example of excessive violence would be a film like this. Where a tasteful use of LEGO blood might be a crime scene aftermath where there are a couple small pools of blood.

A further question to this.  Basically, I have an idea for a shot in which a character gets fatally shot and we see blood splash.  We wouldn't really see the actual character getting shot as such, just the blood splashing onto a surface.  Would that still be acceptable, or already beyond the pale?  I can work around it if necessary, (and I'm not even sure I can pull it off convincingly to begin with), so it's not absolutely vital, but I'd like to know all the same.

Also, do bricks connected to the baseplate/floor count towards the colour mod?  I remember in the past this wasn't allowed, but the current rules don't specify anything in this regard.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Might a LEGO clock face count a the letter why?  The way it is printed, the hands line up to form a shape like that of a Y.

Here's an old picture of one I took in case you want to look at it: https://flic.kr/p/noxdyt

I'm planning to use a clock in a scene and that may generally make it more convenient.  If not. however, I may still get by without it.

Mr Vertigo wrote:

A further question to this.  Basically, I have an idea for a shot in which a character gets fatally shot and we see blood splash.  We wouldn't really see the actual character getting shot as such, just the blood splashing onto a surface.  Would that still be acceptable, or already beyond the pale?  I can work around it if necessary, (and I'm not even sure I can pull it off convincingly to begin with), so it's not absolutely vital, but I'd like to know all the same.

Also, do bricks connected to the baseplate/floor count towards the colour mod?  I remember in the past this wasn't allowed, but the current rules don't specify anything in this regard.

That sounds like a tasteful use of blood, I'd allow it.

Baseplates do count as a MOD element this year as there are no rules prohibiting it.

Squid wrote:

Might a LEGO clock face count a the letter why?  The way it is printed, the hands line up to form a shape like that of a Y.

Here's an old picture of one I took in case you want to look at it: https://flic.kr/p/noxdyt

Theme & MOD Elements wrote:

• The letter MOD element may exist on a printed LEGO piece, but it must clearly be that letter. An eyebrow or wrinkle on a minifig’s face, or a fold in the shirt on the minifig's torso are not letters.

The clock would not work as a letter MOD element.

Please continue all further discussion in this thread:
http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … tarts-now/

Youtube   Twitter