Topic: Stop Motion Armature - Paper Dinosaur

Hello! I know this isn't directly Brickfilm related, but it is stop-motion and I wanted to get some insight. I've been thinking about doing some animation using 'papercraft' figures, and stumbled on this charming advertisement while researching. The animation of the paper dinosaur itself is fantastic, but I can't quite work out how they did it. There's very little information on the 'making-of', besides this image.

Any ideas on how one might be able to accomplish a similar geometric armature & model?

mini/smile

Re: Stop Motion Armature - Paper Dinosaur

Maybe the armature was a very thin wire? Or the model was a thick card stock like paper, and toothpicks and thing were just stuck in there for joints? I don't know...

Anything more than a dozen or so frames and your card model is going to start to disintegrate. I've got a little collection of tinplate cigar boxes that I cut up with shears and stiffen the insides of models, as well as running animation wire along arms and legs etc.

It's hard to tell if it's actually paper or not. I looks like paper, but it might be plastic covered in paper.

As for the armature, it looks like they used hinges mostly, probably with a metal skeleton to re-enforce it. The tongue and teeth look almost like thick felt, and the top of the head almost looks like clay at times. It's really difficult to understand this, but it does look really cool. I hope we can figure this out, you've sparked my curiosity. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm pretty sure it's either a plastic or very tough cardboard armature, held together with hinges and wire, wrapped in paper. I found the guy who worked as an animator on the short and tweeted to him, which hopefully should yield some answers.

Any idea where I could get hinges like the ones in the second link? I don't think I've seen those before.

EDIT: I did some stalking and found the guy who designed and made the puppet. Fingers crossed!

UPDATE: Wire spine with Propoxy, ball-and-socket joints for the hips.

Last edited by ForlornCreature (July 13, 2015 (08:03pm))

mini/smile