Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Fallen: Part One (June 5, 2015)

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Fallen: Part One by Brendan Henry.

Fallen: Part One is a drama brickfilm about an angel and her fall to earth. It was made by Brendan Henry in 2005 and was nominated for four Brickfilming Achievement in Motion Picture Arts awards, including Best Overall Film. Brendan Henry was a well-known member of Brickfilms.com, and occasionally still posts to Bricks in Motion. His other brickfilms include Triumph of the Empire, Bounty, and the two Norseland Saga films.

Watch Fallen: Part One on the Brickfilm Archive

http://i.imgur.com/lnRqR6E.png

SPOILERY DISCUSSION BELOW!

Fallen: Part One is a quiet film, until it’s very, very loud. Without explanation it throws the audience in, and they have to figure out the story for themselves. Who are these characters? What are they talking about? Are they talking about simple hunting, or something more? Fallen: Part One asks many questions, and not all of them are answered. Unfortunately, despite the “Part One” subtitle, no “Part Two” was ever released, though a teaser trailer is available here. Sometimes we don’t always get the answers we want.

What are your thoughts on Fallen: Part One? What did you like about it? Did it leave you with lots of questions? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Fallen: Part One (June 5, 2015)

I loved the lighting and composition. And that reduced palette really helps to focus on the story (such as it is) without any distractions..What a shame there was no follow-up.

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Fallen: Part One (June 5, 2015)

Fallen: Part One is a brickfilm that is easy to get immersed into right from the start. From the sets, to the character design, and even the sound design, everything seems to be done at the top-notch level. The story, funnily enough, caught me by surprise in more ways than one. For a brickfilm 8 minutes long, it certainly seems more like a half-hour of story. Everything goes along at such an incredible pace. It's a wonder how it was done! I'll be sure to watch it again and again for, if nothing else, to break down, shot for shot, how perfect the storytelling is able to flow.

Brendan Henry's direction, coupled with the moody lighting, and sepia-tone images, really create a gothic atmosphere that perfectly echoes the happenings of the plot. Perhaps the secret of the pacing is with them?

Fallen: Part One's greatest flaw is probably within it's title - "part one." It's a little sad to see that a sequel film (or films) was never made. The little in what actually happens within the exposition really draws you in, and the ending really leaves a lot unanswered.

This is the type of brickfilm I'd love to watch again and again. I'd love to see a part 2 sometime. The shot of the minifigure standing in front of a truck's headlights, and the dark and shadowy shot of the girl's eye in response really are pieces of cinematic excellence!

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png