Topic: BiM Welcome Team (Apply Now! Maybe.)

I think it would be good if every film shared in the Releases forum here got some feedback.

We don't need seasoned veterans posting on every film, we just need helpful, encouraging but constructive comments. So many new films are posted on this site on a weekly basis, we've reached a point where this doesn't occur naturally. It isn't about coddling, but rather making sure new people feel like we want them here and aren't being completely ignored.

In order to make this happen, I'm trying a new welcome committee program. The goal is to make sure all new brickfilms posted here (from now on) receive at least one comment.

In order to do this, I'm looking for volunteers to apply to be part of this group. Once you're in, you'll be responsible for:

• Posting comments on new films that have gone without feedback for more than 24 hours

• Writing constructive, helpful comments that are positive but also offer some suggestions on how to improve in the future

• Setting an example for how to provide good, constructive feedback to the community's newer members.

In return for this contribution to the community, members of the committee will be given a special "Welcome Team" title on the forum, and I will write a post on the front page blog about the welcome team members periodically, including links to your filmographies. You'll also be given access to a special forum used for dibs'ing films and keeping track of member contributions. We don't want this to become about rewards, though; helping grow the community and welcome new animators is the central purpose of the program. Please only apply if that's something you want to be a part of and have the time and interest to contribute to reliably.

I'm accepting applications effective immediately. To apply, send me a private message with the topic title "Welcome Team Application." The application should consist of links to five comments or reviews you've made in release forum threads. You may make new comments and reviews for the purpose of the application, but please refrain from bumping films posted more than a month before your application while writing new posts for the application.

If you're looking for some pointers on what to write, here's what I got. The first two categories are what I'm looking for here. Reviews don't need to be long, but they should be at least three sentences. A short paragraph. Longer is great, too, as long as you're not tearing apart Little Billy's first LEGO Star Wars animation shot by shot.

For the time being, please focus any new reviews on films that have no more than 3 replies (not including the film's creator) already.

This is all I can think of right now. I'll amend this post as I think of any other important details that need to be included and I can answer questions in this thread.

I look forward to the applications; I hope that this will allow us to make the releases forum more welcoming to new filmmakers.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: BiM Welcome Team (Apply Now! Maybe.)

Great idea, Smeagol. I hope this will help new members to feel more welcome and draw attention to great brickfilms that often get overlooked in the releases forum.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Sounds cool.

This sounds like a good idea, I think it'll be beneficial to the community.  I've fired off my application.

By the way, how many Welcome Team members are you looking to have in total, and what will be the approximate "workload" (for want of a better word) of each member?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Like the others said, this sounds like a good idea.
Personally, I don't know if I could be committed enough to be a part of the team, but I will sure try to post more in the release forums. mini/smile

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

Mr Vertigo wrote:

By the way, how many Welcome Team members are you looking to have in total, and what will be the approximate "workload" (for want of a better word) of each member?

I am pretty much open to as many suitable applicants as I get. My plan is to assess everybody for a month and then remove any people who aren't pulling much weight after that before doing the article and adding titles. I think my ideal scenario would be 10 or so people. That wouldn't even add up to two reviews a month some months unless it's going well and we expand to trying to have two comments per film.

Rivvm m wrote:

Like the others said, this sounds like a good idea.
Personally, I don't know if I could be committed enough to be a part of the team, but I will sure try to post more in the release forums. mini/smile

This reminds me of something I meant to mention, which is that people who aren't on the official team certainly are allowed to attempt to do the same kind of thing in writing more posts for new films that aren't getting as much attention!

Well, I've sent in my application.  I hope I'm good enough!

Every once in a while I try to comment on films that need comments, although I sometimes fail at this for certain amounts of time.  But it would be nice to have a group made to try to keep this sort of thing going to remind me.

I feel like RioForce has excelled at leaving comments in recent times.

Spoiler (click to read)

Look at how many topics in the releases films are getting new posts already just from people trying to fill out their applications. he he he he

Squid wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

Look at how many topics in the releases films are getting new posts already just from people trying to fill out their applications. he he he he

I know right? Thankfully I had a few reviews already written. mini/tongue

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Sméagol wrote:

I am pretty much open to as many suitable applicants as I get. My plan is to assess everybody for a month and then remove any people who aren't pulling much weight after that before doing the article and adding titles. I think my ideal scenario would be 10 or so people. That wouldn't even add up to two reviews a month some months unless it's going well and we expand to trying to have two comments per film.

Ah, I see.  A further thought I just had:  Perhaps the Welcome Team could also give feedback on the various Production Topics, as well as the various critique threads on BiM ("Critique my Frame", "The Sets & Props Critique Thread", etc.?).  That way, we can encourage new members who are working on Brickfilms, as well as giving feedback on the ones they've released.

Squid wrote:

Well, I've sent in my application.  I hope I'm good enough!

Every once in a while I try to comment on films that need comments, although I sometimes fail at this for certain amounts of time.  But it would be nice to have a group made to try to keep this sort of thing going to remind me.

I feel like RioForce has excelled at leaving comments in recent times.

Spoiler (click to read)

Yeah, occasionally I also come across films that I want to comment on, but I don't actually get around to it.  I'm wanting to improve myself in that regard as well.

Spoiler (click to read)

I actually haven't written that many reviews of late (haven't written all that many since THAC), so I feel like I should be writing more, but now everybody is flocking to the releases forum so it'll just seem like I'm hopping on the bandwagon.  Dilemmas, dilemmas...

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

While I'm not going to apply, I shall still do my best to post more in the Releases forum. I've always thought it's a pity that the Unanswered Topics section is almost always predominantly Releases threads but I've never really tried to do anything about it. Hopefully, whether members are on the Welcome Team or not, they might take the time to post there a bit more. After all, do as you would have done to you (I'm pretty sure that's not quite how the phrase goes, but I'm sure you get my drift).

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

This is a really great idea! Although I was thinking about it, I don't think I will apply since I've got exams this year. I will however try and post more in the releases forum since I'm often rather quiet around that particular part of the website.

Thank you to everyone who has applied so far! Applications are still open, but I have responded to all the applications received so far. I'm happy to announce that Harborlight, Mr Vertigo, Willow Tree, rioforce, and Squid have been accepted to the welcome team so far.

I'm grateful to everybody who has taken the time to write reviews and apply. Even if I didn't pick you. This stuff is subjective and I have to draw lines somewhere. Thank you for being understanding.

This can only nly be a positive thing.  Great move!

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Thanks for accepting me! I'll try not to disappoint. mini/tongue

Incidentally, I'll be travelling over the next few days, so I probably won't be able to review much.

This is really great, and I am very happy to see something is being done for the release section especially for more of the newer members who don't get much or any feedback. This is surely to be a great stepping stone in this field and to see it rise well with swelling comments and welcoming feedback.

Well done to Harborlight, Mr Vertigo, Willow Tree, rioforce, and Squid.

I have also applied (Pmed Smeagol) as I hope I can be apart of a growing team and helping bring more joy and welcome to newer members of this community, and to help brickfilmers unite as one in this great forum and community we have.

Very happy to see this is finally happening!

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (April 8, 2015 (03:03am))

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

I just may apply for this, providing that there is space, my review quality is sufficient, and that I have the time to do so. I'm not on this site as often as some, but we'll see.

I hope that the welcome team idea works, it is definitely a good idea. I am not an avid reviewer as of now, but I would not mind changing that. I did send off my application, but I will try to do better at reviewing films regardless of whether I am accepted.

For those who've applied, I'm going to try to take a look at the applications again this weekend.

When will this close?

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

I've just responded to the applicants I hadn't responded to yet, sorry for the delay on that.

I'll close it after this weekend.